Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide picked Pedlar right before him in the draft and they were both right under their noses. Thank you Adelaide.

IIRC we were trying to trade back in for Pedlar, so far I'll take the win.

Bit confused by this TFW....you saying we wanted Pedlar instead or we were trying to get both him and Powell?

I'm not 100% on the mechanics but I recall the talk at the time was we had an eye on Pedlar and Adelaide went early on him. We might have been trying to get the next GWS pick. It very well may have been we though Powell was on Adelaide's radar. Forgive me but on those draft nights there's so much info flying around... giantroo may remember it better.

I’ve been burnt going early on young players before - Aarons Mullet and Black really come to mind. I’ve become much more cautious recently. I’ve only just let myself process that McCay will be a generation key defender for example and I’m keeping the lid on Thomas for the time being. Yet I think I’m prepared to say that Powell is going to be a star - even after just 9 games. He is doing things by hand that I frankly have never seen before (and I’ve watched Cunnington handball for the last decade). One thing I’ve been so impressed with is how his tackling has been at requisite level despite his boyish physique. It shows that it’s a lot technique, timing and temperament and not just sheer strength.

I'm not 100% on the mechanics but I recall the talk at the time was we had an eye on Pedlar and Adelaide went early on him. We might have been trying to get the next GWS pick. It very well may have been we though Powell was on Adelaide's radar. Forgive me but on those draft nights there's so much info flying around... giantroo may remember it better.
Im reading that as we always wanted the pykie, just had to do some shenanigans to get it done.

he didn't have his best game for the club, but is there a chance that he gets the rising star this week for his full body of work? didn't hear of any breakout games from others across the league, but others may be aware of something I'm not

Tom Green with the rising star this week... frustrating as he deserves it but Powell has deserved it in losses as well.

At this rate Tom will be the first player to ever win it without a nom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were linked with Powell from a long way out so I don't think so tbh. There was a bit of buzz generally about Pedlar though.

I’ve been burnt going early on young players before - Aarons Mullet and Black really come to mind. I’ve become much more cautious recently. I’ve only just let myself process that McCay will be a generation key defender for example and I’m keeping the lid on Thomas for the time being. Yet I think I’m prepared to say that Powell is going to be a star - even after just 9 games. He is doing things by hand that I frankly have never seen before (and I’ve watched Cunnington handball for the last decade). One thing I’ve been so impressed with is how his tackling has been at requisite level despite his boyish physique. It shows that it’s a lot technique, timing and temperament and not just sheer strength.
I went early on Ryan Clarke, I think his first 3 games he had over 25 disposals in each, thought he'd be the next ben cousins with some of the runs he had out of the middle... How wrong I was.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were linked with Powell from a long way out so I don't think so tbh. There was a bit of buzz generally about Pedlar though.
I was talking about this with a mate involved at the club on Saturday, (keeping it simple), we really liked Powell, rated him highly, thought from memory he'd be an * player, so didn't expect him to be there at 13.

Tom Green still eligible?.... unfortunately he is a good chance to take out the award then. Green is getting a lot of time in the guts. It’s going to be hard for Powell to compete with that.

I went early on Ryan Clarke, I think his first 3 games he had over 25 disposals in each, thought he'd be the next ben cousins with some of the runs he had out of the middle... How wrong I was.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ryan Clarke had something to be fair. But if you cannot kick the ball at a semi-competent level, you better be ******* elite at everything else. (See Patrick Dangerfield lol)

Check him out in the post game interview with Charlie Laz.

I love how Lazz thought Powell was off the ground at the end and Powell was like “as if they wouldn’t have me on the ground at the end”

It was similar to round 1.

Noble - “Powelly your playing this week”

Powell - obviously

Confident kid

I love how Lazz thought Powell was off the ground at the end and Powell was like “as if they wouldn’t have me on the ground at the end”

Powell - obviously

Confident kid

Great interview. Enjoying the win, eachothers company, their footy. This will push us forward under Noble.

Powell - obviously

Confident kid

It's as if when he showed up for his first training session and 30 minutes in he went "I got this".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back