Rumour Ports indigenous guernsey design was plagiarised

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
port have been bent over here. realistically this could have happened to anyone, it would take an incredible amount of resources to sift through the entire art world to make sure the design you've picked hasn't been plagiarised, and you wouldn't expect a high schooler to try to pull something like this.

Actually, a kid is the exact person you’d expect to pull something like this.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dont feel sorry for port at all. Just like any business it's their responsibility to do their due diligence and vet their designs in making sure they arent plagiarised. They dont get a free hit just because they didn't want to pay for it.
ridiculous to suggest that they did this knowingly to avoid paying for the design. a kid let their lie get out of hand, port would never have attempted this if they'd known the truth, just look what's happening now that the artist has come forward.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Actually, a kid is the exact person you’d expect to pull something like this.

Yep, this is why you don't get kids to do design. We've been stitched up here but we absolutely didn't do enough due diligence.

Poor outcome for everyone. I hope we can come to an arrangement with the original artist that's beneficial to everyone but it's not really what Indigenous round is supposed to be about.

In the mean time the club need to basically delete all reference to the high school kid who has made a bad mistake, but ultimately she's just a kid and kids are famous for plagiarism.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, this is why you don't get kids to do design. We've been stitched up here but we absolutely didn't do enough due diligence.

Poor outcome for everyone. I hope we can come to an arrangement with the original artist that's beneficial to everyone but it's not really what Indigenous round is supposed to be about.

In the mean time the club need to basically delete all reference to the high school kid who has made a bad mistake, but ultimately she's just a kid and kids are famous for plagiarism.

what would due diligence even look like in this case though? if you haven't heard of elle campbell (and she's not a very well known artist) and you've never been to the places her art has been displayed you wouldn't have any way of knowing about this piece. there were very few photos of it online before now, as far as I know there was just one, buried in her instagram story from 2019.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
News broke fairly late so club personnel may not be aware of it until recently. Need to pull post associated with the kid to protect her from social media more than anything. Too early to pull it as the club will negotiate with artist first to strike a fair deal and settle the matter. However if it is not resolved then we are likely to wear our normal strip or an previous indigenous strip design but rush through a remanufacture on short notice. It can be done either way but will be costly.

Artist should be thrilled. This isn't a big, bad corporation trampling her rights. It's a club that engages the community for a special round that is intended to highlight indigenous contribution to our game and society at large. Something I'd assume the artist wouldn't be against. They have done nothing deliberately wrong or fraudulent and she'll pick up a nice earn if she goes about it the right way and they sell heaps of guernseys.

After listening to her lie through her teeth in that video, its clear she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I mean, she plagiarised in art class ffs. Life's gonna be rough kid.

PAFC clearly stitched up big time.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
ridiculous to suggest that they did this knowingly to avoid paying for the design. a kid let their lie get out of hand, port would never have attempted this if they'd known the truth, just look what's happening now that the artist has come forward.
They didn't bother to do a Google search to check if the kid had just downloaded a photo and put it on their jumper. Like any company, they didn't want someone to spend the time (money) doing it.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I knew something was up.

The art just does not look like one that was specifically made to be on a guernsey. Guess this explains it.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
First thing thats gotta happen, get rid of all mention of the kid who claimed to design it. Adelaide is a small place for young people, its never going to be pretty for one who has publicly stuffed up like this.
Second, lets see something from the real artist discussing what it means to them.
Third, pay up, and learn.

Kochie is normally first to step up to the Mic and denounce something or other.

Absolute crickets on this topic

As far as i can see it only came to light last night, even the news sites aren't running it yet.

Give the bloke a second before jumping up and down.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like they issued a press release first thing this morning. See how it plays out for the rest of the day

Screenshot_20210521-084735_Twitter.jpg

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
First thing thats gotta happen, get rid of all mention of the kid who claimed to design it. Adelaide is a small place for young people, its never going to be pretty for one who has publicly stuffed up like this.
Second, lets see something from the real artist discussing what it means to them.
Third, pay up, and learn.
Pretty much spot on. The club now has to protect the young lady. Unfortunately the twitter trolls that I won't name here, happy to if challenged by certain posters have named the girl multiple times and also tagged in Elspeth Hussey, so there will be some unfortunate fall out for her.

I actually read her Instagram post from the artist who claims it is her work and it was a really good story about how she came up with it. Talks about her family from Kingston in the SE.

Going forward I think Port need to do away with this engagement with high school students about gurnsey design. Might just have to go straight to artists now rather than the community engagement it seems.

Which of course is a shame as it's a great way to engage with the local community about a round that should be celebrated.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They didn't bother to do a Google search to check if the kid had just downloaded a photo and put it on their jumper. Like any company, they didn't want someone to spend the time (money) doing it.
The painting itself wasn't uploaded to Instagram directly, I think a google image search wouldn't bring it up as the painting was out at the Flinders medical centre here in SA.

There are photos that have been shared via the artists private Instagram page when she put it at Flinders. Not sure is a private IG image will show up in a image search or not.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
The painting itself wasn't uploaded to Instagram directly, I think a google image search wouldn't bring it up as the painting was out at the Flinders medical centre here in SA.

There are photos that have been shared via the artists private Instagram page when she put it at Flinders. Not sure is a private IG image will show up in a image search or not.
so how did a teenage girl get it to copy/paste it directly in such high quality that it could be blown up and printed on the jumper? Are you saying that a teenage girl stupid enough to try and so blatantly plagiarise a piece of artwork has better internet skills than the entire club of port adelaide with their numerous highly paid marketing, advertising, design, legal, digital media etc professionals? The club doesnt just get to fob off all their legal responsibilities to a child in a competition. they still have a responsibility to vet the designs, even just as part of the competition process. a side issue that isnt being considered is that theres probably a whole bunch of kids who actually did their own design, who have been cheated out of a chance at winning the competition by this girl.

Port are so obsessed over protecting their own identity, symbols, copyright etc, yet they apparently dont care about making any effort to make sure they dont steal from someone else.

That kid isn't even from Adelaide - she's from Murray Bridge which is a small town.

Everyone is going to know that kid.

The kid ****ed up and plagiarised someone's work, and should face consequences accordingly. However I'd also like to see Port do some work to make sure the kid is supported through what's going to be a pretty shitty time.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only way I can see this being resolved so all parties are satisfied is for David Koch to bring the girl on to Sunrise (under the guise of a public apology) and then catapult her into the moon just as she is about to start speaking.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
so how did a teenage girl get it to copy/paste it directly in such high quality that it could be blown up and printed on the jumper? Are you saying that a teenage girl stupid enough to try and so blatantly plagiarise a piece of artwork has better internet skills than the entire club of port adelaide with their numerous highly paid marketing, advertising, design, legal, digital media etc professionals? The club doesnt just get to fob off all their legal responsibilities to a child in a competition. they still have a responsibility to vet the designs, even just as part of the competition process. a side issue that isnt being considered is that theres probably a whole bunch of kids who actually did their own design, who have been cheated out of a chance at winning the competition by this girl.

Port are so obsessed over protecting their own identity, symbols, copyright etc, yet they apparently dont care about making any effort to make sure they dont steal from someone else.
Probably need to pump the breaks a bit here, I understand you want to attack this as much as possible. However not sure how she was able to get it.

What I said was the artists IG page was private, possible the young girls followers here and would have seen it. I was saying that it would be hard to find the image if it's not a public IG page.

I never said Port had no responsibility, I was just working through how to go about finding such an Image.

Maybe Calm down a bit, I'm not here looking for a fight.

That kid isn't even from Adelaide - she's from Murray Bridge which is a small town.

Everyone is going to know that kid.

The kid f’ed up and plagiarised someone's work, and should face consequences accordingly. However I'd also like to see Port do some work to make sure the kid is supported through what's going to be a pretty shitty time.

Video with the girls name is still up on their Twitter, so they aren't doing a great job so far.

You can always reupload the video later, would have thought taking it down would be the first thing you do.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
When you say Port, do mean the Maggies in the SANFL or the Power in the AFL? It is super confusing and must be hard to keep on top of, so I'm not surprised stuff like this slips through TBH

Back