Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If he umpires again within the next month, there are no actual Standards for umpires. Actually he should be invited to retire. 324 games is enough. many on here think its about 323 too many.

There are no standards for umpires. Once you are in, that’s it. Only out if you retire or die.

He gets to massacre Adelaide this weekend when they play his beloved WCE.

Fair point. Umpires are really struggling to assess kick distance.
The rule itself is hard to judge in certain situations. I have zero issue with a short backward defensive kick being called play on. However when you've got a really tight game, and your guy makes space then why shouldn't a short kick be rewarded in the forward 50.

I'm not sure there's a magic answer.

Its clear this weekend theres been a direction to not pay HTB

So basically teams that have focussed on tackling are screwed? Whereas teams that chuck the ball a lot are suddenly loving life?
Mid-season.

These sorts of things literally determine who wins premierships. If you fluke pulling the right rein as a coach with a particular tactic in the pre-season, you can suddenly find yourself as a premiership coach.

Such a weird sport sometimes.

Richmond's throwing tonight was simply extraordinary.

Lool you got to be kidding me we got penalised for this push in the back for that throw below and a goal.

Pickett causes the free no problems with that , but he got cloths line previously play on stayed up as his tuff as nails 2 sets of rules pathetic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210521-200208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210521-200208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Lool you got to be kidding me we got penalised for this push in the back for that throw below and a goal.

Pickett causes the free no problems with that , but he got cloths line previously play on stayed up as his tuff as nails 2 sets of rules pathetic.

Don't really understand your post to be honest.

But I was just commentating on the blatant chucking that Richmond were doing. It was incredible to see it so blatant, yet go unpenalised.

As throwing is a pet hate of mine, I found it infuriating.

I nearly lost my s**t when Richmond kicked that goal from the passage of play out of the centre clearance. Pickett blatantly chucked it, then the young bloke threw bit over his head like a boundary umpire!!

It was appalling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's throwing tonight was simply extraordinary.

Two blatant htb frees missed inside 5 seconds. And they were dead set obvious.

The prior opportunity needs to go and simply replaced with opportunity.

A player can be tackled with no prior opportunity, stand up in a tackle and then choose not to handball when they can and take the tackle.

Just look at how quickly the ball moves when a team has 60 seconds to score the winning goal. The handballs are lightening quick. Just amazing how they quickly dispose of the ball when they need to and how it allseems too hard when they want to slow the game down.

No more 360 spins and its ok.

No more dropping the ball and not handballing or kicking. Legal disposal or free.

If a player has no opportunity then ball up. If knocked free in a tackle with no opportunity play on.

Last edited:
Don't really understand your post to be honest.

But I was just commentating on the blatant chucking that Richmond were doing. It was incredible to see it so blatant, yet go unpenalised.

As throwing is a pet hate of mine, I found it infuriating.

I nearly lost my sh*t when Richmond kicked that goal from the passage of play out of the centre clearance. Pickett blatantly chucked it, then the young bloke threw bit over his head like a boundary umpire!!

It was appalling.
I was generally interested to here of your examples and gone back and reviewed multiple times as I to hate the throwing that is becoming prevalent in the game.
In a legitament handball the striking hand must project the ball out of the guiding hand, which happened in both the examples you have alluded to . Handballing over the shoulder is not prohibited it is just difficult to do , but the modern player does it legally with relative ease compared years gone by.

I was generally interested to here of your examples and gone back and reviewed multiple times as I to hate the throwing that is becoming prevalent in the game.
In a legitament handball the striking hand must project the ball out of the guiding hand, which happened in both the examples you have alluded to . Handballing over the shoulder is not prohibited it is just difficult to do , but the modern player does it legally with relative ease compared years gone by.

"Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting
it with the clenched fist of the other hand.
"

"Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting
it with the clenched fist of the other hand.
"
delusional
/dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"
based on or having faulty judgement; mistaken.
"their delusional belief in the project's merits never wavers"

delusional
/dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
"hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"
based on or having faulty judgement; mistaken.
"their delusional belief in the project's merits never wavers"
Sorry, I don't understand the context of that post.

1. Definitely HTB, took the player on. Prior opportunity. (Reminded me of Oliver tonight running it out of bounds)
2. Tight, but HTB, had opportunity to dispose of the footy, not quick enough. Team mate put him in that position.
3. Can't see properly
4. No prior opportunity. Drops the ball. Surely we ask that players must attempt to legally dispose of the football.
5. Made an effort to go and get the ball, immediately tackled. I say play on
6. More concerned about the duck. Play on/Ball up
7. Fyfe not much prior, did go and get the ball, could probably have handballed initially, maybe threw the ball, can't tell.
8. No prior, play on

OK. New rule change. From next year no umpires. Honestly how much worse could it be.

Take whatever pittance it is they pay the umps and donate it to charity. Win.
We got shafted again,nothing new for Richmond fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back