Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did he bother coming down? Sure it was nice to see him, but why? Pinot noir & Crayfish?

So Who were the stake holders he spoke to? AFLTas? ie AFL employees in Tasmania. The Premier? Why not just use the bloody telephone?

They already play AFL at 2 grounds. They've had at least 2 recent reviews of football here. A parliamentary review. Gil's steering committee in 2018.

FFS make a decision & get on with whatever.
Surely they will have no choice but to make a decision later this year because I don't see how they can get around it this time.

Do you mean get other teams like St Kilda and Richmond playing here?

Either invest it in a Tasmanian team or invest it in other sports that want to invest in Tasmania.

Either invest it in a Tasmanian team or invest it in other sports that want to invest in Tasmania.

We'll soon find out the direction of the AFL.

What other sport do you suggest? We're rebuilding the DEC for NBL. I'd think the Silverdome too needs a make over at some stage. They are both multi use facilities.

Whats the value in a rectangular field? Where could it be built?

I'm all for a tassie team but i already think 18 teams is too much, the competition was best at 16. If it goes to 20 it will be near impossible for some clubs to ever win a flag.

I'm all for a tassie team but i already think 18 teams is too much, the competition was best at 16. If it goes to 20 it will be near impossible for some clubs to ever win a flag.
Honestly that's why I reckon a 24 team, 2 div comp is better suited. Get back to the 22 game full H+A season. Let the challengers challenge and the struggling teams develop in a weaker comp before racing up the ladder and getting promoted. Plus it gives the "bottom 12" a flag to play for.

As for tassie, I have always been a bit of a sceptic but with the government support I reckon the time is ripe to put their money where their mouth is and back in two new tassie teams. One for Hobart and one for Launceston.

York park is perfectly adequate for now, but the government should commit to upgrading it over 4 to 5 stages like Geelong has with their ground (over a 20 year or so period). Doesn't need to be today's focus, but it would show a commitment to footy in the northern half of the state. This team could be introduced right now, pending training facilities. Long term capacity of 20k to 25k.

Hobart could then join the competition once Macquarie Point has been built. Build it to be a boutique stadium of similar capacity to Geelong (40k give or take). It's a great location (much better than the cricket oval, which could be sold afterwards to help pay for it if needed). You need a ground within walking distance of the city's entertainment hub, otherwise it just won't work (see footy park v Adelaide oval).

side note: two tassie teams brings us up to 20. SA3 and WA3 to 22, Auckland and Canberra to 24. I don't see NT working, although I think it would be great if Sir Doug Nicholls round was played all in the NT, as the AFL's version of Magic Round (food for thought). Thursday Night (Dreamtime Game?), Friday Double Header, Saturday and Sunday Triple Header

Honestly that's why I reckon a 24 team, 2 div comp is better suited. Get back to the 22 game full H+A season. Let the challengers challenge and the struggling teams develop in a weaker comp before racing up the ladder and getting promoted. Plus it gives the "bottom 12" a flag to play for.

As for tassie, I have always been a bit of a sceptic but with the government support I reckon the time is ripe to put their money where their mouth is and back in two new tassie teams. One for Hobart and one for Launceston.

York park is perfectly adequate for now, but the government should commit to upgrading it over 4 to 5 stages like Geelong has with their ground (over a 20 year or so period). Doesn't need to be today's focus, but it would show a commitment to footy in the northern half of the state. This team could be introduced right now, pending training facilities. Long term capacity of 20k to 25k.

Hobart could then join the competition once Macquarie Point has been built. Build it to be a boutique stadium of similar capacity to Geelong (40k give or take). It's a great location (much better than the cricket oval, which could be sold afterwards to help pay for it if needed). You need a ground within walking distance of the city's entertainment hub, otherwise it just won't work (see footy park v Adelaide oval).

side note: two tassie teams brings us up to 20. SA3 and WA3 to 22, Auckland and Canberra to 24. I don't see NT working, although I think it would be great if Sir Doug Nicholls round was played all in the NT, as the AFL's version of Magic Round (food for thought). Thursday Night (Dreamtime Game?), Friday Double Header, Saturday and Sunday Triple Header

Tas 1 is it. The one & only.

2 teams makes no sense. Economically, politically or any otherwise.

2 teams makes no sense. Economically, politically or any otherwise.
Disagree. The state is already built on the north/south divide. No state team will get the same support as if they're given a north and a south team.

Splitting the team between two venues is also not a economically beneficial decision. Who get's the 11th game? Why do some fans only get to see their local team 5x a year. It's got disaster written all over it. You can't build a new stadium at Hobart (also needed to make this work), and only play 6 AFL games and maybe a test match once every 2 years. It needs at least 11 AFL games to make it viable. If Hobart plays out of Bellreive the team is already in economic trouble.

Northern Tasmania is 150k and Hobart is 200k. Both regions can sustain AFL teams of their own quite easily. Having local teams will bring on more local sponsors too, as well as connecting the team to the local community more so than a state team.

Disagree. The state is already built on the north/south divide. No state team will get the same support as if they're given a north and a south team.

Splitting the team between two venues is also not a economically beneficial decision. Who get's the 11th game? Why do some fans only get to see their local team 5x a year. It's got disaster written all over it. You can't build a new stadium at Hobart (also needed to make this work), and only play 6 AFL games and maybe a test match once every 2 years. It needs at least 11 AFL games to make it viable. If Hobart plays out of Bellreive the team is already in economic trouble.

Northern Tasmania is 150k and Hobart is 200k. Both regions can sustain AFL teams of their own quite easily. Having local teams will bring on more local sponsors too, as well as connecting the team to the local community more so than a state team.
Hobart is 230000 to be exact and no way on earth could Tassie sustain two teams.

We don't have a team now. So anything will be an improvement.

Hobart is about 240k. Launy about 100. Overall the Population is near enough to 50/50 north + NWC & the south.

Hawthorn play 4, North play 3-4 games, so getting 5 or 6 games from a Tasmanian club each year in either Hobart or Launceston is a vast improvement by any measure.

The North/South thing has never applied to state teams, ie Hobart Hurricanes. It gets support both at Boot Park & Utas,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hobart is 230000 to be exact and no way on earth could Tassie sustain two teams.
Geelong has 65,000 members, the vast majority who live in Geelong and Surrounds (300k population). A Hobart based side with support in Southern Tas (roughly 300k) could surely fill at least 75% of a 40k stadium week in week out if they were given a true blue 11 game team in Hobart in a brand new stadium they can be proud of. Plus there's all the tourists who would come to watch their team play and stay the week (or weekend).

As for Laucneston, population of ~100k, and surrounds 150k to 200k. The ground only needs to keep it's current capacity (20k) which it already fills for Hawthorn games. Upgrade it stand by stand as a commitment to the team and the town. That includes 11 games.

We don't have a team now. So anything will be an improvement.

Hobart is about 240k. Launy about 100. Overall the Population is near enough to 50/50 north + NWC & the south.

Hawthorn play 4, North play 3-4 games, so getting 5 or 6 games from a Tasmanian club each year in either Hobart or Launceston is a vast improvement by any measure.

The North/South thing has never applied to state teams, ie Hobart Hurricanes. It gets support both at Boot Park & Utas,
I don't call it an upgrade going from 4 games to 5. I call that an insult. Yes there would be some support for a state based team, what I'm saying is that two town/region based teams would have a better connection to the stadiums they play in, and the supporters they play for. For me, the numbers add up when it comes to memberships (Hobart should be looking at 40k to 50k members, some of which will be general admission and 3 game members), and Launceston half that (20k to 25k). The lower ends of the membership target should be the long term stadium capacity to ensure it can be filled week in, week out.

Geelong has 65,000 members, the vast majority who live in Geelong and Surrounds (300k population). A Hobart based side with support in Southern Tas (roughly 300k) could surely fill at least 75% of a 40k stadium week in week out if they were given a true blue 11 game team in Hobart in a brand new stadium they can be proud of. Plus there's all the tourists who would come to watch their team play and stay the week (or weekend).

As for Laucneston, population of ~100k, and surrounds 150k to 200k. The ground only needs to keep it's current capacity (20k) which it already fills for Hawthorn games. Upgrade it stand by stand as a commitment to the team and the town. That includes 11 games.

I don't call it an upgrade going from 4 games to 5. I call that an insult. Yes there would be some support for a state based team, what I'm saying is that two town/region based teams would have a better connection to the stadiums they play in, and the supporters they play for. For me, the numbers add up when it comes to memberships (Hobart should be looking at 40k to 50k members, some of which will be general admission and 3 game members), and Launceston half that (20k to 25k). The lower ends of the membership target should be the long term stadium capacity to ensure it can be filled week in, week out.

We're pretty use to being insulted by the VFL/AFL. ;)

However, 2 clubs is most definitely not sustainable.

The AFL players association has today come out in support of Tasmania's push for a team,this is definitely a positive for our push.

Yes, also the new book on the AFL's 'dubious' administrative behaviours, 'The Boys Club', might push the AFL to show some more community effort for a change, rather than just their own pockets.!! ;)

Why not open a Division 2 competition and have a team from North Tasmania and Hobart?
Hobart has 250k and Launceston, Devonport, Burnie and the rest have an additional 200k people.

Bother regions are as big as Geelong City, and by having a Division 2 league, they can ease themselves into Div 1.

This would also open the door to a side in Canberra, Cairns, Darwin, ect.

The future is not a fixed license system, but an open divisional system.

A divisional system could look like this;
DIV1.
Geelong Cats
Richmond Tigers
Collingwood Magpies
West Coast Eagles
Essendon Bombers
Adelaide Crows
Carlton Blues
Sydney Swans
Melbourne Demons
St Kilda Saints
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide Power
Hawthorn Hawks
Fremantle Dockers
Brisbane Lions
Perth
Hobart
North Tasmania

DIV 2.
North Melb Kangaroos
Canberra
Cairns
Bendigo
Ballarat
Albury Wodonga
Darwin
GWS Giants
Gold Coast Suns
Bunbury/Margaret River
Mildura
Shepparton
Werribee Tigers
Southport Sharks
Alice Springs
Sunshine Coast - Brisbane Reserves

If you go divisions, do it as a 12 teams per division to get back to the traditional 22 H+A season. 18 clubs in each is way too many, 18 total is pushing it and 24 definitely is.

Maybe, just maybe.

That would mean the Div1 would be electrifying.
And Div 2 would also be pretty hardcore.
The battle for non-relegation would almost be as intense as the battle for the premiership.

Div 1
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne Demons
Geelong Cats
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide Power
Sydney Swans
West Coast Eagles
Richmond Tigers
Essendon Bombers
Fremantle Dockers
St Kilda Saints
GWS Giants

DIV2
Carlton Blues
Adelaide Crows
Collingwood Magpies
Gold Coast Suns
Hawthorn Hawks
North Melb Kangaroos
Hobart
Darwin
North Tasmania
Canberra
Cairns
Bendigo
Ballarat
Albury Wodonga

That would mean the Div1 would be electrifying.
And Div 2 would also be pretty hardcore.
The battle for non-relegation would almost be as intense as the battle for the premiership.
That's what I reckon too. Also take a middle of the road club like Freo. All of a sudden if they're in Div 2, they're playing for premierships again and promotion to the big league. It makes the middle of the table way more interesting.

For 6 new clubs (you've listed 8), I reckon it should be
Hobart
Launceston
Auckland
Canberra
SA3
WA3

For NT representation, play a magic round in NT over Sir Doug Nicholls round.

That's what I reckon too. Also take a middle of the road club like Freo. All of a sudden if they're in Div 2, they're playing for premierships again and promotion to the big league. It makes the middle of the table way more interesting.

For 6 new clubs (you've listed 8), I reckon it should be
Hobart
Launceston
Auckland
Canberra
SA3
WA3

For NT representation, play a magic round in NT over Sir Doug Nicholls round.
Auckland would have to be funded by a privateer. But worthy suggestion.

Why not a standalone in Darwin and Cairns?

With the salary cap & the draft, why should it be near impossible?
North Melbourne are holding themselves back to stay afloat
Port Adelaide are sending themselves broke to keep up

If you have average facilities - Why would players want to join you
And if it's for money.
Well, your coaches are **** cause the clubs cant afford to get in anyone decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back