The Non-Footy Sports Discussion Thread

I find it hard to really care about the Storm.

I mostly support them to troll league people from NSW.

I had a mate (NRL, Dragons) visit on the '99 GF weekend and because he went for the Blues so we could have some s**t stirring banter I went for the Storm the next day. I dunno if youse remember but it was a controversial finish and if something similar happened to us we'd be ropable. (Think '94 or '15 But in a GF.) Poor bastard, I really gave it to him.

Its hard to really get behind them because of that. I used to think of them as a franchise too. But they definitely have a group of supporters that are growing, so the makings of a real club. The Swans, Giants and Suns probably have the same thing. I have league mates' kids who go to watch the SUns play. They are gonna be supporters forever, not with the committment they have to their league side (that may change eventually, the potential is there I guess,) but they are learning about the game and starting to get it. The Suns give these kids a voucher for a free Big Mac if they score over 60 points! Win or lose. A couple have kids have been twice this year. Once to see us (*en great!) the other time to see the Swans, who their dad supports. (For the same reason I support the Storm i guess. Banter, and its someone to go for.)

The Storm are also a very successful organisation and the AFL has been trying to get that one back on the NRL since, unsuccessfully.

Imagine how we'd feel if the most consistently best side in the comp came from Sydney and had been the most consistently best side for decades. Never not a chance for finals. Obviously they are well run and talented but it would s**t us to tears. Swans have been half that good and we hate 'em for it.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

I had a mate (NRL, Dragons) visit on the '99 GF weekend and because he went for the Blues so we could have some sh*t stirring banter I went for the Storm the next day. I dunno if youse remember but it was a controversial finish and if something similar happened to us we'd be ropable. (Think '94 or '15 But in a GF.) Poor bastard, I really gave it to him.

Its hard to really get behind them because of that. I used to think of them as a franchise too. But they definitely have a group of supporters that are growing, so the makings of a real club. The Swans, Giants and Suns probably have the same thing. I have league mates' kids who go to watch the SUns play. They are gonna be supporters forever, not with the committment they have to their league side (that may change eventually, the potential is there I guess,) but they are learning about the game and starting to get it. The Suns give these kids a voucher for a free Big Mac if they score over 60 points! Win or lose. A couple have kids have been twice this year. Once to see us (fu**en great!) the other time to see the Swans, who their dad supports. (For the same reason I support the Storm i guess. Banter, and its someone to go for.)

The Storm are also a very successful organisation and the AFL has been trying to get that one back on the NRL since, unsuccessfully.

Imagine how we'd feel if the most consistently best side in the comp came from Sydney and had been the most consistently best side for decades. Never not a chance for finals. Obviously they are well run and talented but it would sh*t us to tears. Swans have been half that good and we hate 'em for it.

Way off the mark on this one mate.

Storm never got any start-up handjobs or city hall supplied leg-ups over the competition.

Crikey if they were allowed exclusive access to players in certain regions and COLA to offset relocating 99.9% of their list to Victoria they'd go undefeated through every season.

This is a team who had their captain miss a grand final due to being suspended for making a rounding error on his tax return.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Way off the mark on this one mate.

Storm never got any start-up handjobs or city hall supplied leg-ups over the competition.

Crikey if they were allowed exclusive access to players in certain regions and COLA to offset relocating 99.9% of their list to Victoria they'd go undefeated through every season.

This is a team who had their captain miss a grand final due to being suspended for making a rounding error on his tax return.

Still cheated the salary cap tho

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Third Party Arrangements

Access to heaps of Qld players. Exclusivce access to parts of Qld. I have mates from Qld who call them South Brisbane. One of the reasons they have the access they do was to dilute Brisbane Broncos almost exclusive access to Qld, especially Brisbane, players.

The Storm have had advantages. Not as many as the AFL franchise clubs have had and they have made the most of those advantages with a great system and possibly one of the greatest coaches of all time (if the Storm were GWS they'd have three flags by now,) they even rorted the salary cap as Le Grille mentioned. Compared to some struggling Sydney clubs they have had a few helping handjobs.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Third Party Arrangements

Access to heaps of Qld players. Exclusivce access to parts of Qld. I have mates from Qld who call them South Brisbane. One of the reasons they have the access they do was to dilute Brisbane Broncos almost exclusive access to Qld, especially Brisbane, players.

The Storm have had advantages. Not as many as the AFL franchise clubs have had and they have made the most of those advantages with a great system and possibly one of the greatest coaches of all time (if the Storm were GWS they'd have three flags by now,) they even rorted the salary cap as Le Grille mentioned. Compared to some struggling Sydney clubs they have had a few helping handjobs.

How do they have exclusive access if all clubs can list players from anywhere? All clubs have feeder clubs, they don't have any more call on young players than anyone else. Absolutely nothing like the NEAFL academies at all.

What are their advantages exactly?

Their success masks the severe disadvantage they've had having to coax and retain almost every player they've ever had from interstate and deal with a hostile NSW focused administrative body.

How do they have exclusive access if all clubs can list players from anywhere? All clubs have feeder clubs, they don't have any more call on young players than anyone else. Absolutely nothing like the NEAFL academies at all.

What are their advantages exactly?

Their success masks the severe disadvantage they've had having to coax and retain almost every player they've ever had from interstate and deal with a hostile NSW focused administrative body.
They have a version of COLA and had preferred access to S Qld that NSW clubs didn't get. I dunno if that is still the case but I haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise.

Third Party Agreements are what got Richmond over the line with Martin. It enables the Storm to keep their players when they might otherwise prefer to return home. How is that different to COLA? ie They get more money cos they are playing in a non NRL or non AFL city.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I had a mate (NRL, Dragons) visit on the '99 GF weekend and because he went for the Blues so we could have some sh*t stirring banter I went for the Storm the next day. I dunno if youse remember but it was a controversial finish and if something similar happened to us we'd be ropable. (Think '94 or '15 But in a GF.) Poor bastard, I really gave it to him.

Its hard to really get behind them because of that. I used to think of them as a franchise too. But they definitely have a group of supporters that are growing, so the makings of a real club. The Swans, Giants and Suns probably have the same thing. I have league mates' kids who go to watch the SUns play. They are gonna be supporters forever, not with the committment they have to their league side (that may change eventually, the potential is there I guess,) but they are learning about the game and starting to get it. The Suns give these kids a voucher for a free Big Mac if they score over 60 points! Win or lose. A couple have kids have been twice this year. Once to see us (fu**en great!) the other time to see the Swans, who their dad supports. (For the same reason I support the Storm i guess. Banter, and its someone to go for.)

Imagine how we'd feel if the most consistently best side in the comp came from Sydney and had been the most consistently best side for decades. Never not a chance for finals. Obviously they are well run and talented but it would sh*t us to tears. Swans have been half that good and we hate 'em for it.

Controversial finish Ferb's 🙄 It was a penalty try mate. He was decapitated in-goal ! 1.50 >

Last edited:
Thought of you rickety:

Best of luck for the weekend 👍
245553A9-6A1E-4853-A07D-588488E56BE3.jpeg

Thought of you rickety:

Best of luck for the weekend 👍
View attachment 1121314

Sorry rickety, was cheering them on

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I feel like I’m the only one who wants to see Wilder V Fury 3 so I’m happy about this.

Still cheated the salary cap tho

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Funny how there’s a big chunk of North supporters that bag out the cheating AFL clubs yet love the Storm. And the same people bag out GWS and The Suns for being franchises, yet it’s exactly what the Storm are.

The Storm are a disgrace.

(and I haven’t even mentioned what a dirty cheat Cam Smith was)

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Funny how there’s a big chunk of North supporters that bag out the cheating AFL clubs yet love the Storm. And the same people bag out GWS and The Suns for being franchises, yet it’s exactly what the Storm are.

Who owns the Storm?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Storm cheated the cap unbeknowing to most in the club ie; the coach, the players.
Paid for it. Can't tell me the Roosters, Bronco's et al haven't done the same ?
Some clubs did iirc and got a slap and a minimal fine.

Unattractive Storm with a team of journeymen actually won the the trophy in their 2nd year. Have consistently played finals, won more trophies and shields in that time. Have produced 3 of the all time greats and many more.

GWS +GC been gifted everything in the world and achieved nothing = franchises for the sake of generating $$$

Storm have members. Put bums on seats. Generate t.v. $$$. Have put league on the map down here. Unlike the G.C. and western Sydney.

Last edited:
Back