Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan in hot water over off-ball hit on Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan is in hot water after footage of an off-ball hit on Carlton star Sam Walsh surfaced on social media.

The incident occurred in the dying stages of Carlton's 23-point win over the Hawks as Walsh came up to block teammate Harry McKay's defender deep in the forward line.

As Walsh sprinted towards McKay, Hartigan unleashed what appeared to be a right elbow to the face of the Blues star, sending him crashing to the turf, before the siren sounded to confirm Carlton's win just seconds later.

So how many weeks for this dirty hit on Walsh 100 meters behind the play?

Hawthorn defender Kyle Hartigan is in hot water after footage of an off-ball hit on Carlton star Sam Walsh surfaced on social media.

The incident occurred in the dying stages of Carlton's 23-point win over the Hawks as Walsh came up to block teammate Harry McKay's defender deep in the forward line.

As Walsh sprinted towards McKay, Hartigan unleashed what appeared to be a right elbow to the face of the Blues star, sending him crashing to the turf, before the siren sounded to confirm Carlton's win just seconds later.

6 years

to be honest, he should be charged with assault

that's the type of hit that kills

Yep if that was out on the streets that would be jail for a long time, disgusting but what else do you expect from a team like Hawthorn.

Three weeks apparently. One week worse than Lachie Plowman contesting the ball.

The league has gone mad.

Edit: When I posted this below, I'd only seen the Carlton fan's phone footage from level 3. Pretty far away. Difficult to see everything. So I was prepared to give Hartigan the benefit of the doubt at that time. Just seemed like such a dumb thing to do, so late in the game. But now I've seen the AFL footage from the lower angle and it was clearly a dog act - it deserved 3 or 4 weeks.

------------

Looked to me like Hartigan tried to fend off Sam Walsh with a forearm into his shoulder region and it deflected up into Walsh's face
I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit. If you watched Hartigan play footy, you'd realise the bloke is a complete potato and as uncoordinated as it gets.
I think he might've tried to shove Walsh away with his forearm and completely misjudged it.

LOL at turnips like you who sook about oppo thuggery

And cheers to precious Carlton cheer squad squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media
Hopefully the AFL suspend Hartigan for the remainder of the season so I don't have to watch him play anymore.

edit: Bugger. Only 3 weeks.

But our club will remember this instance of squealing from the Carlton cheer squad and putting our blokes in for suspension
What goes around comes around. Hopefully when we repay the favour, it will be one of your good players and some really important games.

Last edited:
Surely the AFL appeal this as they did with Houli years ago? This is worth comfortably 5-6.

Looked to me like Hartigan tried to fend off Sam Walsh with a forearm into his shoulder region and it deflected up into Walsh's face

I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit

But cheers to precious Carlton squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media
Hopefully the AFL suspend Hartigan for the remainder of the season so I don't have to watch him play anymore.

But I'm going remember this instance of squealing from Carlton fans and putting our blokes in for suspension
What goes around comes around.

All good until he hits the wrong spot and gives someone permanent brain damage or god forbid something worse.

“Carlton squealers”. You sound like a fool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 weeks seems light but I don't understand the MRP anymore so......
We've seen a couple of forearm jolts this season exactly like that one from Hartigan and the MRO gave them less than 3 weeks
'
What is about Hawthorn that gets opposition fans demanding 4/5/6 week suspensions?

Nobody gets that anymore.

So much wrong with this.

spectator footage? Should have gone to the tribunal so see if this is acceptable

The carlton player approached hartigan, intentional is debatable

there was a similar thing earlier in the game btw

All good until he hits the wrong spot and gives someone permanent brain damage or god forbid something worse.
Oh yeah... The old "potential to cause serious injury" :rolleyes:

What if.... Just imagine... He could've KILLED HIM !!! :mad:

Poor Walshy! Leave him alone!!!

“Carlton squealers”. You sound like a fool.
How would you like to me to describe the Carlton fans who filmed it and shared it around using the Carlton Cheer Squad Twitter account?

Carlton squealers seems pretty apt.

Well done, Blues sooks. I look forward to us returning the favour.

Last edited:
Oh yeah...

The old "potential to cause serious injury" :rolleyes:

How would like to me to describe the Carlton fans who filmed it and shared it around using the Carlton Cheer Squad Twitter account?

Carlton squealers seems pretty apt.

Well done, Blues sooks. I look forward to us returning the favour.

We don’t really have heroes sniping off the ball like Hawthorn consistently do year on year.

If you do manage to capture a Carlton player elbowing blokes in the back of the head 80m off the ball then fire away. s**t act that would have you in court if done anywhere but a football field.

We don’t really have heroes sniping off the ball like Hawthorn consistently do year on year.
Hawthorn hasn't had anyone suspended for 'intentional striking'/sniping for at least 5 years...

In 2019, we had Ben Stratton sent to the tribunal and suspended for pinching little Orazio "mummy's boy" Fantasia on his arm.
In 2018, James Sicily copped a suspension for intentionally stepping on Shaun Atley's leg. Stepping, not stomping...

Lots of opposition squealing over these incidents too, come to think of it.

Last edited:
Never really watched much of Hartigan at the Cows, but he never really struck me as the grub/sniping type. Clearly, he’s just trying to fit in with the ethos and values of his current employers and doing a sterling job of it, I might add.

Obviously its only worth 3 weeks and yet Plowman was given 2 weeks for eyes on the ball contest with Jaeger O'Meara.
Eyes on the ball? LOL!!! Plowman wasn't watching the ball. He lined up O'Meara, turned his body side on, bumped a bloke in the head who was trying to mark the ball... and not even a free kick from the white maggots!!! If ya don't mind, umpire!!! and Blues fans were whinging about the umps?!?!? FMD... Tossers!

Last edited:

I don't think it was an intentional dirty hit. If you watched Hartigan play footy, you'd realise the bloke is a complete potato and as uncoordinated as it gets.
'I think tried to shove Walsh away with his forearm and completely misjudged it.

LOL at turnips like you who sook about oppo "thuggery:"

And cheers to precious Carlton cheer squad squealers who filmed it and posted it on social media

But our club will remember this instance of squealing from the Carlton cheer squad and putting our blokes in for suspension

What goes around comes around. Hopefully when we repay the favour, it will be one of your good players and some really important games.

You guys started the squealing back in 1982. Bloody Polkinghorne.

Still, it freshened The Dominator up for a great game in the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back