Opinion Is this version of the Bulldogs the best team we've ever had?

Remove this Banner Ad

SharkMeister4

Senior List
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is just as much a question as it is a statement. Being in my 20's I havent witnessed many of our best iterations, however this version right now just feels different to all the others. Throughout all the threads we are all waiting for us to cough up an easy game, to let teams back in and at least at this stage we haven't done it. Best midfield in the comp, a very dangerous forward line and incredible ball use. A defence stacked fall of brilliant ball use but which is a bit suspect to one on ones and is probably one kpd away from being where we want it. Is Bont the best Bulldog to ever wear the guernsey, and is this side the best of all previous?

This is coming off the back of a big win vs the saints, making it the first time in our history to have multiple 100 point+ victories in our history

The 2016 side will always have a special place in my heart.

However, this is the most complete bulldogs side that I have seen during my 87 years of aimless wanderings on this earth.

Its crazy to think that there are 5-6 players currently out of the side that are certainties for our best 22.

Definitely up there with some of the best teams we've had on paper, but a game style and coaching staff plays an imperative part in team success.

I am confident if you combine our current coaching staff with our 2010 team list, then both the 2010 and 2021 lists would be stronger chances of winning the flag than our current list (if that makes sense). I.e. If our current list played our 2021 list with the same coaching staff, I'd back in our 2010 list.

Imagine how good Lindsay Gilbee would be in our current team, for example. You think Bailey Dale is thriving in his role off half back. Gilbee would be even better!

This is just as much a question as it is a statement. Being in my 20's I havent witnessed many of our best iterations, however this version right now just feels different to all the others. Throughout all the threads we are all waiting for us to cough up an easy game, to let teams back in and at least at this stage we haven't done it. Best midfield in the comp, a very dangerous forward line and incredible ball use. A defence stacked fall of brilliant ball use but which is a bit suspect to one on ones and is probably one kpd away from being where we want it. Is Bont the best Bulldog to ever wear the guernsey, and is this side the best of all previous?

This is coming off the back of a big win vs the saints, making it the first time in our history to have multiple 100 point+ victories in our history

In your 20's! Lucky you. You've been spared the 30 plus years extra I've had to watch this club, sometimes in their darkest moments. The lowest being 1989 almost merger. There were some high moments in that 30 years, but nothing as high as 2016 obviously.

It's impossible to compare the 2016 team with what we're seeing at the moment. We weren't the team with the most wins at the end of the home and away season in 2016, yet they went undefeated in the finals and won a flag. We might be seeing a more consistent and talented side right now, but will they win a flag?

Only time will tell whether this team can beat 2016. We all know anything can happen on the day in finals. The stars and planets all have to align as well as Chicago choosing the right lucky meal (no pressure there Chicago!).

I see that was the first time in our history we've beaten 2 sides by more than 100 points. As far as week to week goes, I cannot remember ever going to games throughout a season without a real nagging dread about losing games we really could win - just waiting for the over confident slip up. I still display obsessive compulsive disorder at games (are my legs crossed the right way, have I got a bottle of water handy, did I go to the dunny before that great quarter? If so I must do it again) - but that's PTSD from seasons past, not the teams.

You know, half way through the 3rd (I think it was), I sat back and just looked at the huge Bulldog crowd. We were represented everywhere, but particularly on the east outer wing. And I thought "how good is this". Flags waving, crowd chanting, supporters of all backgrounds - particularly kids.

I wonder how my old man would rate this side against the 1954 premiership side which he saw?

Anyway, I'm just happy to enjoy it.

I am confident if you combine our current coaching staff with our 2010 team list, then both the 2010 and 2021 lists would be stronger chances of winning the flag than our current list (if that makes sense). I.e. If our current list played our 2021 list with the same coaching staff, I'd back in our 2010 list.
You seem to be differentiating between our ‘current’ list and our ‘2021’ list. What year do you think this is?!

Really confusing post, mate.

You seem to be differentiating between our ‘current’ list and our ‘2021’ list. What year do you think this is?!

Really confusing post, mate.
Sorry for the confusion.

Basically, our 2010 side with our current coaching staff would beat our current 2021 side.

When you take into consideration the incredible depth we have, it’s hard to dispute it.

We have a midfield the envy of the competition. Possibly the greatest collection ever seen.

We have top notch complimentary key forwards who can dominate. 3 ruckman who aren’t one trick pony’s. A plethora of highly skilled running half back flankers

We have high quality back up on every line, who know our system and can impact when needed.

And we have a mature and dominant Bont. That alone takes us to the next level.

Add Morris and the 2021 Bulldogs would be unstoppable.

Sorry for the confusion.

Basically, our 2010 side with our current coaching staff would beat our current 2021 side.

I find this absolutely laughable to be honest. This side would beat our 2010 side by 200 points minimum.

The 2010 side never saw a team move the ball the way our current side does. They would literally be discombobulated.

Our 2010 side was already a shadow of the previous two year's sides.

Limped into finals. Flogged in the qualifying, got our finals bunnies Sydney in the semi, then beaten by St Kilda again.

We had never won two consecutive finals until 2016.

Sorry for the confusion.

Limped into finals. Flogged in the qualifying, got our finals bunnies Sydney in the semi, then beaten by St Kilda again.

We hadn't won two consecutive finals for 55 years until 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We hadn't won two consecutive finals for 55 years until 2016.
Yes, but we didn't have the coaching staff to seriously challenge.

I find this absolutely laughable to be honest. This side would beat our 2010 side by 200 points minimum.

The 2010 side never saw a team move the ball the way our current side does. They would literally be discombobulated.
I'm confused. Can one be figuratively or metaphorically discombobulated without also being literally discombobulated?

In your 20's! Lucky you. You've been spared the 30 plus years extra I've had to watch this club, sometimes in their darkest moments. The lowest being 1989 almost merger. There were some high moments in that 30 years, but nothing as high as 2016 obviously.

It's impossible to compare the 2016 team with what we're seeing at the moment. We weren't the team with the most wins at the end of the home and away season in 2016, yet they went undefeated in the finals and won a flag. We might be seeing a more consistent and talented side right now, but will they win a flag?

Only time will tell whether this team can beat 2016. We all know anything can happen on the day in finals. The stars and planets all have to align as well as Chicago choosing the right lucky meal (no pressure there Chicago!).

I see that was the first time in our history we've beaten 2 sides by more than 100 points. As far as week to week goes, I cannot remember ever going to games throughout a season without a real nagging dread about losing games we really could win - just waiting for the over confident slip up. I still display obsessive compulsive disorder at games (are my legs crossed the right way, have I got a bottle of water handy, did I go to the dunny before that great quarter? If so I must do it again) - but that's PTSD from seasons past, not the teams.

You know, half way through the 3rd (I think it was), I sat back and just looked at the huge Bulldog crowd. We were represented everywhere, but particularly on the east outer wing. And I thought "how good is this". Flags waving, crowd chanting, supporters of all backgrounds - particularly kids.

I wonder how my old man would rate this side against the 1954 premiership side which he saw?

Anyway, I'm just happy to enjoy it.

Its not lost on me the trials fans have gone through to get us to this point. it amazes me that before I was born there was a time where our history was in serious doubt. Such justice 2016 was, and hopefully the following years can give us another taste. Ive never actually felt confident in the dogs before, Ive always had this small club mentality with us - however watching us actually play footy worthy of being considered the best in the comp is laying the ground for me to break that mentality. I dont wanna jinx us, im just here to enjoy the ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back