Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As if Lynch was ever going to come over. At that time, we were no longer a destination club for those seeking to win flags. And still won't be for at least another 2-3 years. Once this current list of younger players, combined with some high end drafts, reach 50-100 games, only then we'll be able to better gauge which direction we'll be heading. Right now some of the recent recruits like Chad, Frost, Philips, Hartigan are just list fillers while the rebuild happens.

Actually. Lynch was extremely close to joining us, it was narrowed down to Richmond and us. He clearly made the right choice, but in 2018 we finished top 4, albeit going out in straight sets (if Issac kicks that goal we are in a prelim). We were very much an attractive option, Bruest and Gunston made the AA team, Mitchell was a Brownlow medalist. Wingard turned the dogs down for us.

Chad was not picked up to be a 'list filler'. Nor were Patton and Scully brought in to aid a rebuild. In 2018, we thought we were close to another tilt. Which is my point, it was a fork in the road for us.

It might be two years too late, but I'm happy the club has finally acknowledged a rebuild. Two years, Kennett, is a pipedream, but the reality is only three clubs have won a flag since our threepeat... we have time, and I just want to keep seeing kids show signs, and in the off-season attempts made to get another top 10 pick to add to pick 1 or 2.

Last edited:

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually. Lynch was extremely close to joining us, it was narrowed down to Richmond and us. He clearly made the right choice, but in 2018 we finished top 4, albeit going out in straight sets (if Issac kicks that goal we are in a prelim). We were very much an attractive option, Bruest and Wingard made the AA team, Mitchell was a Brownlow medalist. Wingard turned the dogs down for us.

Chad was not picked up to be a 'list filler'. Nor were Patton and Scully brought in to aid a rebuild. In 2018, we thought we were close to another tilt. Which is my point, it was a fork in the road for us.

It might be two years too late, but I'm happy the club has finally acknowledged a rebuild. Two years, Kennett, is a pipedream, but the reality is only three clubs have won a flag since our threepeat... we have time, and I just want to keep seeing kids show signs, and in the off-season attempts made to get another top 10 pick to add to pick 1 or 2.
That was 2016.

2018 we got belted by Richmond in the first final.

That was 2016.

2018 we got belted by Richmond in the first final.
Did you watch the game? We didn't get belted by Richmond we could have been a lot closer at half time for some unusually bad kicking for goal from silk and punky and then we lost Stratton in the 3rd which through our defence out especially defending their smalls. They won easily in the end there is no doubt but we were right in it till the stratton injury

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did you watch the game? We didn't get belted by Richmond we could have been a lot closer at half time for some unusually bad kicking for goal from silk and punky and then we lost Stratton in the 3rd which through our defence out especially defending their smalls. They won easily in the end there is no doubt but we were right in it till the stratton injury
Yes i watched it felt like a 10 goal loss to me.

36 to 66 inside 50's does not indicate a close game.

Yes i watched it felt like a 10 goal loss to me.

36 to 66 inside 50's does not indicate a close game.
its interesting how many of those inside 50s were in the second half. Look they deserved to win but Richmond won a game recently after being flogged all day.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
its interesting how many of those inside 50s were in the second half. Look they deserved to win but Richmond won a game recently after being flogged all day.
Didn’t Richmond kick something like 4 posters that day?

It always felt like the tigers had it under control with enough of a lead that they were safe but could never blow us away.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
As if Lynch was ever going to come over. At that time, we were no longer a destination club for those seeking to win flags. And still won't be for at least another 2-3 years. Once this current list of younger players, combined with some high end drafts, reach 50-100 games, only then we'll be able to better gauge which direction we'll be heading. Right now some of the recent recruits like Chad, Frost, Philips, Hartigan are just list fillers while the rebuild happens.

‘and our youngsters a box hill have some mature vfl players around doing them so they don’t get exposed badly. No team which did a huge clean out ever went anywhere

even us in 2005-2008. 10 ‘list fillers’ hep;Ed pull off one of the greatest underdog victories in the grand final. It’s criminal to put deliberately uncompetititive teams out there, stupid as well

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will say we got really lucky in 2018 that we didn’t manage to convince Shiel and Lynch to come to us. Lynch because we’d be carrying his big contract while being down the bottom of the ladder. Plus we might not see Kosi shifted forward or ML’s big 2019. Plus one less young forward playing now. Lynch would be on his last legs or gone when we are competing.

And Shiel cost * 2 first rounders (2nd rounder going back). Which we would have payed without a second thought. Given what we would pay to get people through the door then. That means no Day drafted in 2019.

As bad as it is now if the club got its way it could be worse, much worse.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Actually. Lynch was extremely close to joining us, it was narrowed down to Richmond and us. He clearly made the right choice, but in 2018 we finished top 4, albeit going out in straight sets (if Issac kicks that goal we are in a prelim). We were very much an attractive option, Bruest and Wingard made the AA team, Mitchell was a Brownlow medalist. Wingard turned the dogs down for us.

Wingard hasn't been AA since 2015.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Am not sure Wings will be AA again. The selectors love fashionable and at the moment and I expect for the next few years, we aren't.

Yeah he's cream for a good team.

I don't think it's anything about fashionable, it's just simply he won't produce his best, consistently, in an average team. He's not that type of player. He's been played more in the midfield this year as plenty wanted, and he seems to drift in and out of games even still.

I think in a good team, he's a gun forward 50 player. Early days in Port, he was a nightmare one-on-one, but I think he's lost his leap. He's even lost a fair bit of length in his kicking. Still class on the deck.

Last edited:

FactsNotBS

If you can't say anything nice...
Aug 21, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Always Hawthorn. Just kidding GC.
It's probably that obvious, that those crazy fu**s would even get it.
When you sit in a baby seat looking out the rear window, how can you tell Clarkson, the driver, who is looking ahead and the one capable of driving, what direction we should go? I'll back Clarko any day. Hawks showed a lot of positive signs last week. Yes it took the club a while to decide to rebuild but now that pill has been swallowed, I couldnt be happier with the direction they are taking.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When you sit in a baby seat looking out the rear window, how can you tell Clarkson, the driver, who is looking ahead and the one capable of driving, what direction we should go? I'll back Clarko any day. Hawks showed a lot of positive signs last week. Yes it took the club a while to decide to rebuild but now that pill has been swallowed, I couldnt be happier with the direction they are taking.

I think that is a really lazy argument, often used.

The club has a massive decision to make at the end of the year. As a member, I expect due diligence. Having reverence to past achievements, ignoring recent concerns, is too emotional.

Like you I am happy that we have, finally, committed to the rebuild. But also, at the start of the season, neither Clarko or Kennett expected us to be this bad, in the times I listened to them speak publicly. So, fairly, we can question how Clarko viewed the playing group, or even, how he has been coaching with what's available.

It's a massive decision the club needs to make with who is going to be best to take this list forward, Mitchell or Clarko. Either way, go through the process and ask the tough questions, remove the emotion of it, and whoever you land on needs to be given 5 years to do that.

I'm personally of the opinion we need a fresh start, and I think Mitchell is the man (even being a risk as he is untried). Essendon look reinvigorated under Rutten, and I think the game has moved beyond the style we are trying to play and the complicated nature of it for a young list trying to make their way at the level. BUT.. Clarko will always be GOAT.

Last edited:

Strattonsphere

Senior List
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The backline for our next premiership is currently learning to deal with extreme high pressue in the AFL (Sicily and DGB to be added)..

The majority of our next premiership forward half are currently kicking 130 points plus every week in the VFL.

When the two meet and gel over the next 18 months, its going to exciting watching it all unfold. Great times ahead folks. Buckle up!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

still think it’s bull. Not saying it’s not in the discussion but it’s not a Malthouse where Eddie couldn’t bear bucks being ‘successful’ Elsewhere

the ‘construction’ totally ignores any assistant is free to pursue a senior position elsewhere at any time, and he would go with clarkos blessing

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
still think it’s bull. Not saying it’s not in the discussion but it’s not a Malthouse where Eddie couldn’t bear bucks being ‘successful’ Elsewhere

the ‘construction’ totally ignores any assistant is free to pursue a senior position elsewhere at any time, and he would go with clarkos blessing
The media just fishing for stories. Hawks, Clarko, and Mitchell know exactly what they are doing after 2021, and beyond.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still think it's clarko, he won't want to depart from a bottom 4 and if anything the new position we are in and new talent coming through and to be picked up will definitely spark something, the bloke loves to win.

If your Mitchell your are in the best position of a lifetime, learning from an all time great, at the tipping point of a rebuild that is pivotal in the development of the new list and gameplan - I seriously could not think of better experience to be a senior coach in the future. His time will come far sooner then most so he doesn't need to rush.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still think it's clarko, he won't want to depart from a bottom 4 and if anything the new position we are in and new talent coming through and to be picked up will definitely spark something, the bloke loves to win.

If your Mitchell your are in the best position of a lifetime, learning from an all time great, at the tipping point of a rebuild that is pivotal in the development of the new list and gameplan - I seriously could not think of better experience to be a senior coach in the future. His time will come far sooner then most so he doesn't need to rush.
The blokes 38. Not like his time is running out to be a senior coach. If he’s rushed in to the job and flops his senior coaching career is finished though. Could stay an assistant for another 4-5 years and still be a senior coach for 20 years.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So the family club expects players to put the club ahead of their family?

Also, his 2019 was consistent. That was the surprise. And for those expecting better than 4th round maybe they should lower their expectations.
His play was mediocre, did you actually watch his games or are you just looking back on his meaningless stats? Hawthorn people just don't like to admit when we get one wrong.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
it was wet too and the ball was like a bar of soap suiting Richmond's surge brand. We might not have won but hardly a belting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back