News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

St kilda are $12m in debt.

If they'd pay them to the saints would play in Antarctica.

Don't forget, StKilda was playing home games in Launceston back when Hawthorn started down there and well before we ever thought of Hobart as a second home. The only reason they stopped is Rod Butterss' hubris as he thought they were a big 4 team once they started winning a few games.

Given the negative slant the Tasmanian politicians put on the games/teams played there at the minute it surprises me that they think teams are lining up for the pleasure. I can’t recall anything positive being said by them around our presence there, if we are to continue that needs to change.
Actually they talk the deal up all the time in Tasmania but definitely believe the Hawks deal has been more beneficial due to the lot bigger numbers that travel to Tassie from the mainland.

Actually they talk the deal up all the time in Tasmania but definitely believe the Hawks deal has been more beneficial due to the lot bigger numbers that travel to Tassie from the mainland.

I find it an interesting dichotomy between the preferred objective for a new start-up team and the acknowledgment that decent crowd numbers depend on a large traveling contingent from Melbourne. Neither of which North Melbourne offers them.

Carlton in the gun oh that would be magical

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Honestly, they’re hemmed in geographically by Collingwood, North & *, limited scope to grow their supporter base, have a cupboard full of wooden spoons this century, if you piss them off there’s more disenfranchised supporters to go around the other clubs than if you piss off a small but well run club. They all hate Collingwood and * so they’ll naturally gravitate to us.

Hobart Blues 30,000 members, North Melbourne Football Club 65,000. Make it happen Funky Bens.

The man in charge of this review has been checking out stadium sites in Hobart and believes Hobart's northern suburbs would be a great location for a new stadium and he also wants Tassie to continue with Fifo models until we are granted a AFL licence,it will be interesting to see what else comes out of his investigations.

The man in charge of this review has been checking out stadium sites in Hobart and believes Hobart's northern suburbs would be a great location for a new stadium and he also wants Tassie to continue with Fifo models until we are granted a AFL licence,it will be interesting to see what else comes out of his investigations.

Who would pay for a new stadium?

I can't see the Tassie Gov getting on the hook for the tens of millions it would cost and I can't see the AFL spending that type of coin either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would pay for a new stadium?

I can't see the Tassie Gov getting on the hook for the tens of millions it would cost and I can't see the AFL spending that type of coin either.
The federal government could also contribute, Townville got a new stadium so what makes Tassie any different?

The federal government could also contribute, Townville got a new stadium so what makes Tassie any different?

Many things, but I will start with a recent $30million upgrade of Bellerive for which a partnerhip with North was deemed partially responsible.

Its not an election year where candidates would be looked on favourably at committing $100m to a stadium (like they did for FNQ)

Our economy is going to be recovering from Covid so I highly doubt the idea of they did it in 2016 somewhere else is going to be an argument that holds much water.

As a state Tasmania holds 4 federal seats. Queensland hold 29. from this level you can see why committing $100m in an election to a smaller state may be considered not worth it. Tasmanian seats represent 13% of the seats in Queensland. to win them you'd need to convince the majority of voters to vote one way. In Queensland to create the same swing you only need to convince 14% of voters to vote one way.

That is what makes Tassie different from an election stand point.

A candidate can stand in Brisbane and talk about the $100m stadium that is being built in their state and the reach is to fare more voters with far less needing to move to swing their way.

Same candidate could stand in Hobart and say that they are committing $100M to a stadium and they would need to convince 50% of the voters to vote for them. Knowing a stadium is probably not enough TBH.

You asked what made Tassie different. It is their size, the seats they hold and the need to swing significantly more to make the same impact. There is also the timing and pandemic aspects to this. It is a lot of money to not many for reasons that probably don't stand up as well in 22.

He's also checking out UTas, there's a bit going on, don't get your hopes up for a "Northern Hobart Stadium' just yet.

He's also checking out UTas, there's a bit going on, don't get your hopes up for a "Northern Hobart Stadium' just yet.
I'm in Scottsdale in Northern Tasmania so I don't care where the games are played,I know the Business Case calls for games to be played in both South and North which is perfectly fine to me if it means we get our own team.

Spirit of Tasmania has today announced a major sponsorship with tassie's new nbl team.It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on North Melbourne's Spirit sponsorship that is due to end at season's end, interesting times ahead.

Spirit of Tasmania has today announced a major sponsorship with tassie's new nbl team.It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on North Melbourne's Spirit sponsorship that is due to end at season's end, interesting times ahead.

I hope they can get as many basketball passengers as AFL supporter passengers!!!! :D :D :D

Beautiful! Our time in the Map is coming to an end. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back