Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Canberra Comets
Canberra Cosmos
Canberra Cannons
I think there was even a Baseball team or something once

All failed really.

Raiders are still around though right? NRA or something isn't it?

But seriously the Goverment down there is to build a new Stadium, or are at least talking about one in the CBD up to 40K spectators....but soccer and Rugby only!!

I think there are only two failed on that list, and they're in leagues that contracted or no longer exist. I think the Comets are still going. The Canberra Cavalry (baseball) is definitely still going well.

The Raiders are doing well in the NRL (the NRA wouldn't be popular here). There's still more Aussie Rules players than league players here though. Rugby union is pretty popular with the Brumbies in the Super Rugby (but the Giants still have higher crowds). The stadium will likely be 25k-30k. There was early plans for it to include an oval configuration, but it looks like it'll be too tighter squeeze in the preferred location.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I can't see it either, as there isn't much scope for growth, and a lot of the AFL fans there aren't necessarily long-term residents (compared to a Geelong or even Gold Coast), maybe just AFL expats cycling through the city for a several year stint. I'm a Raiders fan and the Brumbies have a robust fanbase. The W-League team also made a lot of sense prior to the last few years of women sport, having an available pool of young professional working women to draw upon in an area where soccer isn't really overshadowed by other codes and in a gender where soccer was generally more encouraged in teenage years (think back to high school, and also someone like Sam Kerr), and the local AFL Canberra sides are respectable, but I think a Hawks/North in Tassie situation, especially with the tangible nearness of a side like GWS, is really the best option for now. Compared to Tasmania, Canberra gets the Swans and GWS on FTA every week as 'part' of NSW, so there is more consistent exposure compared to a Hawks/North. Manuka also isn't quite right for a fulltime home ground. You'd need to be able to play regular night games there as well, which the AFL might not be used to in terms of climate.

Last edited:

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't see an ACT AFL team, too small and base and too many other options.

Canberra's the second biggest city in Australia without a team. Only Newcastle is bigger - and they're not a candidate for a new team. Canberra has double the population of Hobart and triple the population of Darwin.

Tasmania is obviously the best option for team 19, but there's nobody else ahead of Canberra for team 20. Darwin is tiny. Sydney needs GWS to be able to play 11 home games before a third team comes in.

Perth3 makes the most sense of the rest, but there's less benefit to it. Everybody in Perth already follows a team. A Canberra team gives an option for neutral fans in a contested market. Also gives an option for games in the Riverina (Albury and Wagga) which lean Aussie Rules, but are still contested between codes.

The Giants are Canberra's team as long as they treat Canberra seriously.

While I want a Canberra team, I'm happy with the Giants in the medium-term. But if the Giants want to be here longer term, I think they need to step up their Canberra game.

They do do a lot in the community, but their presence is still too small. We only get three AFLM games a year. As a result, they don't get anywhere near the same media attention as the Raiders or Brumbies. We need more games and more presence from the Giants, but they can't give up Sydney games. They'd need to convince some Melbourne teams to have home games here against them.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Honestly it doesn't help GWS that they're trying to do a North and act like they're the team for Canberra despite the fact they're never playing there full time. Would rather the AFL just bite the bullet and keep GWS in Sydney full time (*, give them games in southern Sydney if need be) and let them grow out as a fully Sydney team and let Canberra have their own full-time AFL side alongside Tassie.

Would rather the AFL just bite the bullet and keep GWS in Sydney full time
They also need to roll up their sleeves and take a good hard look in the mirror, give 'em what for and don't take no for an answer. Or, hey, maybe securing 11 H&A games per year at suitable venues in their 'hood is a complicated issue that can't be solved by pounding tables and stomping feet.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They also need to roll up their sleeves and take a good hard look in the mirror, give 'em what for and don't take no for an answer. Or, hey, maybe securing 11 H&A games per year at suitable venues in their 'hood is a complicated issue that can't be solved by pounding tables and stomping feet.

There are definitely a few options to work around the Easter Show.

They could play a bigger run of home games later in the season. ANZ Stadium could be used for a bigger game. Or a revamped Blacktown Oval could be used against smaller teams (and help them get more games across Western Sydney).

Outside of Sydney, they could play a couple of games in Newcastle and I believe post-Covid, they're still looking to play an LA game.

There are definitely some options for suitable stadiums, they just need some creative thinking.

There are definitely some options for suitable stadiums, they just need some creative thinking.
Those options don't require creativity, they require money.

GWS have settled on the option that works best for GWS. If the RAS or Blacktown City Council or Whoever want more/some AFL played at their venues, the onus is on them to come up with a better deal than what the Giants have got going on at Manuka.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Those options don't require creativity, they require money.

GWS have settled on the option that works best for GWS. If the RAS or Blacktown City Council or Whoever want more/some AFL played at their venues, the onus is on them to come up with a better deal than what the Giants have got going on at Manuka.

Yeah the last time we dealt with the Blacktown council we got screwed.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
In what way?

The mayor at the time (a cricket nut) wanted the precinct built as the headquarters of NSW Cricket.

He got the AFL and Giants on board to finalise the deal with the NSW government funding.

Once done he told the Giants they couldn’t be based there full time only part-time.
So the Giants bought the ex-Olympic archery complex to rebuild as a full time base and the Mayor then turned it around saying the club had abandoned Blacktown, which is bullshit.
Even though we still play pre-season, AFLW, and NEAFL(Now VFL) games there, even though the club had every right to be pissed as they were screwed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The mayor at the time (a cricket nut) wanted the precinct built as the headquarters of NSW Cricket.

He got the AFL and Giants on board to finalise the deal with the NSW government funding.

Once done he told the Giants they couldn’t be based there full time only part-time.
So the Giants bought the ex-Olympic archery complex to rebuild as a full time base and the Mayor then turned it around saying the club had abandoned Blacktown, which is bullshit.
Even though we still play pre-season, AFLW, and NEAFL(Now VFL) games there, even though the club had every right to be pissed as they were screwed.

As a Sydneysider (I think) would you prefer a game played at Blacktown or Canberra for the Easter Show?

For instance, the Suns have an average crowd of 7.7k at Giants Stadium and have never topped 8.3k. Blacktown has a nominal capacity of 10k.

I know there's been some history, but if it meant being able to play 11 games in Sydney, would you be alright with a regular season match against the Suns at Blacktown?

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think there are only two failed on that list, and they're in leagues that contracted or no longer exist. I think the Comets are still going. The Canberra Cavalry (baseball) is definitely still going well.

The Raiders are doing well in the NRL (the NRA wouldn't be popular here). There's still more Aussie Rules players than league players here though. Rugby union is pretty popular with the Brumbies in the Super Rugby (but the Giants still have higher crowds). The stadium will likely be 25k-30k. There was early plans for it to include an oval configuration, but it looks like it'll be too tighter squeeze in the preferred location.

Canberra Baseball team has slid into administration today...

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
As a Sydneysider (I think) would you prefer a game played at Blacktown or Canberra for the Easter Show?

For instance, the Suns have an average crowd of 7.7k at Giants Stadium and have never topped 8.3k. Blacktown has a nominal capacity of 10k.

I know there's been some history, but if it meant being able to play 11 games in Sydney, would you be alright with a regular season match against the Suns at Blacktown?
Ex Western Sydney boy. Now central west.
All for us to move a game or 2 or 3, once the Giants are wholly Western Sydney, to Blacktown or even a game to the central west of NSW.
Would also be all for that 1 game in the US.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
Canberra's the second biggest city in Australia without a team. Only Newcastle is bigger - and they're not a candidate for a new team. Canberra has double the population of Hobart and triple the population of Darwin.

Even this sorta understates it. The Capital Region of NSW, ie people within an hour or two drive of here and economically linked to Canberra, has another roughly 200k, on top of the 430k in the city itself. If we're going to call Tasmania a single market despite the distances involved, it's pretty reasonable to look at a similar sized catchment here as the effective market.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ex Western Sydney boy. Now central west.
All for us to move a game or 2 or 3, once the Giants are wholly Western Sydney, to Blacktown or even a game to the central west of NSW.
Would also be all for that 1 game in the US.

Without an upgrade I think the Suns would be the only team drawing a small enough crowd to fit into Blacktown. But at near capacity I think it would have a pretty cool atmosphere.

Is the plan for the Giants match in the US to come from their home games, or to get a Victorian team like Port in Shanghai? I don't think they have any leeway to take any games away from Manuka, but seven games in Sydney seems surely too few for the Sydney fanbase.

A Central West game would be pretty awesome. Even as a preseason match. Are there any facilities that could host with minimal upgrades?

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even this sorta understates it. The Capital Region of NSW, ie people within an hour or two drive of here and economically linked to Canberra, has another roughly 200k, on top of the 430k in the city itself. If we're going to call Tasmania a single market despite the distances involved, it's pretty reasonable to look at a similar sized catchment here as the effective market.

Very true. I like to consider the Riverina-Murray in Canberra's zone too (with a game each in Albury and Wagga). That region is another 250k or so.

Obviously not many would be making the trip the whole way to Canberra, but would act as a secondary area like Launny to Hobart.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Giants are Canberra's team as long as they treat Canberra seriously.

I can't see an ACT AFL team, too small and base and too many other options.
I assume it's been covered but the population of Canberra is 400k+, Bigger than Hobart and Launceston combined who people have been calling for years to have a team, bigger than Darwin by about 250k+ people, who have similarly had calls for a team and bigger than Geelong by 150k+ people who already support one of the largest fanbases in the AFL.

The city also absolutely loves its sport, and particularly AFL. Manuka oval typically sells out most games, which in a neutral city without a team, having two interstate clubs come in and fill the stadium is very impressive.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
I assume it's been covered but the population of Canberra is 400k+, Bigger than Hobart and Launceston combined who people have been calling for years to have a team, bigger than Darwin by about 250k+ people, who have similarly had calls for a team and bigger than Geelong by 150k+ people who already support one of the largest fanbases in the AFL.

The city also absolutely loves its sport, and particularly AFL. Manuka oval typically sells out most games, which in a neutral city without a team, having two interstate clubs come in and fill the stadium is very impressive.

Visited Canberra last week and was convinced of their support of AFL. Walked past Eastlake FC's oval on Friday night and haven't seen so many kids and parents at an Auskick clinic anywhere. Also visited Ainslie FC, very impressive set up.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Visited Canberra last week and was convinced of their support of AFL. Walked past Eastlake FC's oval on Friday night and haven't seen so many kids and parents at an Auskick clinic anywhere. Also visited Ainslie FC, very impressive set up.
Have a lot of family still living in the ACT and can honestly say the place would completely and wholeheartedly support a local team in masses.

They would also likely get a lot of support from all around southern NSW too through areas like Albury, Wodonga etc, and given that the ACT government already sponsors GWS just to play some games there, I think you can be confident they'd get even higher levels of funding and sponsorship from the ACT government.

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Canberra would be a perfect Division 2 side.
The AFL needs to open up to Nation, and include teams in Canberra, Darwin, Hobart & Launceston.

The time for a national Divisional competition has arrived, and as you can see, they are exploring it with the new VFL. However, the AFL is in no-mans land atm. They just seem to copy the USA NFL fixed license structure, instead of looking at the EPL model.

North Melbourne Kangaroos ---> North Queensland Kangaroos (9x Cairns, 1x Townsville, 1x Mackay)
St Kilda Saints ---> Tasmanian Saints (6x Launceston, 5x Hobart)
Western Bulldogs ---> Canberra Bulldogs (11x Canberra)
Essendon bombers ---> Essendon Bombers (11x MCG)

Sell Marvel Stadium for property developers and rake in money.

Chicken Parma

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Jaguars, Renegades
North Melbourne Kangaroos ---> North Queensland Kangaroos (9x Cairns, 1x Townsville, 1x Mackay)
St Kilda Saints ---> Tasmanian Saints (6x Launceston, 5x Hobart)
Western Bulldogs ---> Canberra Bulldogs (11x Canberra)
Essendon bombers ---> Essendon Bombers (11x MCG)

Sell Marvel Stadium for property developers and rake in money.

And Carlton? Do they do the same as Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back