AFLW AFLW 2022 Season news - UPDATE - Priority picks awarded to 5 teams plus new draft order.

Remove this Banner Ad

What I’ve seen of Craven today is not impressive. Short, slow and can’t kick over a jam tin.

Id take a number of Oakleigh girls before her

Craven usually kicks short to players in better possies, she gets the ball a hell of alot, firing out handballs to outside players, very effective
Think of a Tom Mitchell type, not a huge long kick/metres gained player, more a distributor

I’m pretty sure it just means that picks, 1 GCS, 2 Cats, 3 Eagles, 4 Saints & 5 Us, can’t be traded out if we want to keep our/their priority picks. Essentially we have to use pick 5 to be able to get our PP, ditto the others.

From the RFC website
"Richmond currently hold four picks in the 2021 NAB AFL Women's Draft, after receiving a priority selection in the second round last Friday.
The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
So GC, Geelong, WC, Saints and Tigers have to go to the Draft??????
WOW we can't trade any of our picks even if we wanted to

Yep you have my support with Reid, only other i'd think about is Tara Slender as a Wakefield replacement, who can also play midfield as well

Wouldn't surprise if Tara Slender is on Geelong's radar. Has to move from Bendigo anyway...

From the RFC website
"Richmond currently hold four picks in the 2021 NAB AFL Women's Draft, after receiving a priority selection in the second round last Friday.
The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
So GC, Geelong, WC, Saints and Tigers have to go to the Draft??????
WOW we can't trade any of our picks even if we wanted to
I don't think this is correct at all. Its only our 1st pick (pick no.5) that can't be traded.

Its a bit of a worry when our own club doesn't understand what's going on.

I don't think this is correct at all. Its only our 1st pick (pick no.5) that can't be traded.

Its a bit of a worry when our own club doesn't understand what's going on.

First of all, it started
"priority selections are made on the basis that the first five (5) selections, held by each of the Clubs receiving Special Assistance, are not to be traded ahead of the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft."
Then
" GEELONG and Gold Coast will hit the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft hard, holding five selections each after the AFL Commission allocated two first-round priority picks to both clubs. "
And then again
" The five clubs are unable to trade their respective first picks, which are the first five selections of the draft."
Now it's
"The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
I dunno, we'll have to wait until the trade period to understand whats going on

Last edited:
First of all, it started
"priority selections are made on the basis that the first five (5) selections, held by each of the Clubs receiving Special Assistance, are not to be traded ahead of the 2021 NAB AFL Women’s Draft."
Then
" GEELONG and Gold Coast will hit the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft hard, holding five selections each after the AFL Commission allocated two first-round priority picks to both clubs. "
And then again
" The five clubs are unable to trade their respective first picks, which are the first five selections of the draft."
Now it's
"The Tigers are unable to trade their first four selections as a condition of receiving the priority pick."
I dunno, we'll have to wait until the trade period to understand whats going on
Hey Stan. The club statement is incorrect! As I said its a concern when our AFLW staff don't understand the rules. Its only our 1st selection that can't be traded.

Hey Stan. The club statement is incorrect! As I said its a concern when our AFLW staff don't understand the rules. Its only our 1st selection that can't be traded.

Don't think it our AFLW staff to blame Lord. I'm pretty sure they know the rules. The article on the club website is actually attributed to journo Sarah Black which if it is a mistake is weird as she is normally really switched on on all things AFLW

1621388084553.png

Last edited:
Don't think it our AFLW staff to blame Lord. I'm pretty sure they know the rules. The article on the club website is actually attributed to journo Sarah Black which if it is a mistake is weird as she is normally really switched on on all things AFLW

View attachment 1131541

Sarah just confirmed that the correction hadn't filtered through to the clubs yet.

LOW is correct. Gold Coast, Geelong, West Coast, St Kilda and Richmond cant trade their first pick in the draft if they want to keep the priority picks. Picks 2 and onwards can be traded by clubs if they choose.

Locked in: AFLW Sign and Trade Period to begin in late May
The AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence from Monday, May 31 and will conclude on Friday June 25, 2021.
Clubs have been informed they are not permitted to enter into any contracts or make any commitments to players until the commencement of the Sign and Trade Period.
Key dates for the 2021 AFLW Sign and Trade Period:

Monday, May 31
Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 9
Trade Period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #1 (4pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 16
Re-signing period closes (2pm AEST)
Restricted Free Agency Period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #2 (4pm AEST)

Friday, June 25
Delisted Free Agency period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #3 (4pm AEST)
NAB AFLW Draft order confirmed

Locked in: AFLW Sign and Trade Period to begin in late May
The AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Women’s Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence from Monday, May 31 and will conclude on Friday June 25, 2021.
Clubs have been informed they are not permitted to enter into any contracts or make any commitments to players until the commencement of the Sign and Trade Period.
Key dates for the 2021 AFLW Sign and Trade Period:

Monday, May 31
Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 9
Trade Period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #1 (4pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 16
Re-signing period closes (2pm AEST)
Restricted Free Agency Period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #2 (4pm AEST)

Friday, June 25
Delisted Free Agency period closes (2pm AEST)
List Lodgement #3 (4pm AEST)
NAB AFLW Draft order confirmed

Clubs can’t make any commitments to players until the trade period starts!

Yeah right. Pull the other one. Might not be any contracts signed but plenty of work being done behind the scenes me thinks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues apparently told Tayla Harris thanks but no thanks! She might lower her demands but reportedly looking for a 3rd club.

I'm all for players getting paid well but $150k on the back of such a poor season would have terrible ramifications through the AFLW irrespective of the make up of playing payments/marketing component payments.

Tayla's manager is Alex Saundry who started a player management company after she retired from playing and has build quite a stable of talent in multiple sports including our own Katie Brennan, Sarah Hosking and Ellie McKenzie. She's pretty clued up in this space and I feel the scenario regarding Tayla is possibly more player driven than agent.

Last edited:
Blues apparently told Tayla Harris thanks but no thanks! She might lower her demands but reportedly looking for a 3rd club.

I'm all for players getting paid well but $150k on the back of such a poor season would have terrible ramifications through the AFLW irrespective of the make up of playing payments/marketing component payments.

Tayla's manager is Alex Saundry who started a player management company after she retired from playing and has build quite a stable of talent in multiple sports including our own Katie Brennan, Sarah Hosking and Ellie McKenzie. She's pretty clued up in this space and I feel the scenario regarding Tayla is possibly more player driven than agent.

Harris is an average player. You're not entitled to twice as much as anyone else in the team just because you've got a sympathy statue. Its not a great thing that the same manager is looking after our talent.

I’m getting the distinct feeling that Richmond will go after her and let Fredericks go

Harris is an average player. You're not entitled to twice as much as anyone else in the team just because you've got a sympathy statue. Its not a great thing that the same manager is looking after our talent.

That's what they said about Ralph Carr and he has been pretty good for us. As I said I don't think this is a manager driven thing. Saundry manages Maddy Prespakis. You don't hear any crazy demands regarding her or any of Saundry's other charges. God knows if Tayla is worth $150k then Maddy is worth $1m

Not sure Tayla is winning any fans even among her peers.

That's what they said about Ralph Carr and he has been pretty good for us. As I said I don't think this is a manager driven thing. Saundry manages Maddy Prespakis. You don't hear any crazy demands regarding her or any of Saundry's other charges. God knows if Tayla is worth $150k then Maddy is worth $1m

Not sure Tayla is winning any fans even among her peers.

The FIGJAM of AFLW?

I’m getting the distinct feeling that Richmond will go after her and let Fredericks go

AFLW PODCAST MAY 26. 2021. 2:35 PM Sarah Black
Summary:
ARE OPTIONS running out for Tayla Harris?
Womens.afl has so far confirmed that Geelong, Fremantle, North Melbourne and Richmond will not be pursuing Harris in the upcoming Sign and Trade Period, which kicks off next Monday at 12pm.
There also does not appear to be an option to return to Queensland to play AFLW, with Brisbane and Gold Coast also confirming they will not register an interest in the 24-year-old.
With expansion looming on the horizon, clubs expect the upcoming Sign and Trade Period to be a relatively quiet edition, meaning there simply aren't many tier one (two players) or two (six players) spots available on lists.
Harris' camp is now faced with a dilemma – lower the asking price or sit out this season and focus on the dual-sport athlete's successful boxing career.
The gun Tiger likely to head to Collingwood
Sabrina Frederick, Collingwood interested but nothing more than that
She's been playing well in the VFLW & Richmond see more upside in her, not shopping her around at all

Summary:
Womens.afl has so far confirmed that Geelong, Fremantle, North Melbourne and Richmond will not be pursuing Harris in the upcoming Sign and Trade Period, which kicks off next Monday at 12pm.
There also does not appear to be an option to return to Queensland to play AFLW, with Brisbane and Gold Coast also confirming they will not register an interest in the 24-year-old.
With expansion looming on the horizon, clubs expect the upcoming Sign and Trade Period to be a relatively quiet edition, meaning there simply aren't many tier one (two players) or two (six players) spots available on lists.
Harris' camp is now faced with a dilemma – lower the asking price or sit out this season and focus on the dual-sport athlete's successful boxing career.
She's been playing well in the VFLW & Richmond see more upside in her, not shopping her around at all

Harris would be as welcome at a new club as Warrick Capper was when he moved to the Brisbane Bears.

Think ATM her best bet to get the $'s she's after is sit this year out & join Essendon/Hawthorn next season

I don't think $$ is the biggest factor TBH.

Put her profile ahead of the team values which damaged her "brand"

I have great respect for Daniel Harford and for him to practically turn his back on her is telling and it wouldn't be lost on other teams. Hence the "no, no, no, no, no" response Sarah Black gave when discussing other teams interest. It's hard enough managing an AFLW team and trying to maintain an élite environment with part time players without one of your main players going rogue and dealing with that fallout. Was Carlton's shocking season a result of some of this? Who knows? Maybe! I just don't think other teams want to go there.

I was a Tayla fan up until this year. TBO it's not even the money thing for me. It's the reports of her walking off during training to update her Instagram account and s**t like that. What's that saying? How you train is how you play. If that's her thing then she should just concentrate on boxing.

Summary:

Incidentally well done to Nat Edwards for calling it as she sees it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back