THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah look, Iā€™m really open to new ideas and thinking on leadership and management, but Hollyā€™s experience doesnā€™t equate to the wisdom sheā€™s preaching. Thereā€™s some real ā€˜fake it til you make itā€™ vibes about her pitch.
A career consultant who's talked her way to the top and the affect on the organisations she's consulted with don't seem particularly tangible at this stage.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

All style, no substance. I can see why Koch pushed for her appointment to the board.
I've posted before that the reason Koch wanted her on the board is so that he'd be seen to be associated with her given her high profile among the easily impressed.

I've posted before that the reason Koch wanted her on the board is so that he'd be seen to be associated with her given her high profile among the easily impressed.
I can sort of see how having someone on the board as the voice of a younger demographic makes sense, but she's not that. IMO she wants to take the express elevator to the C-suite, not represent her generation.

Last edited:
I really canā€™t tell you, but it was the senior coach. He was not in the mood for distraction in 2020.

Cardone came in expecting the Club to roll over, to meekly fall in line. Cardone is, after all, a director of PAFC, Eddieā€™s CEO, who is our senior coach to stand in his way?

Cardoneā€™s reaction was to go about bad-mouthing Ken and his boss.

I know I should keep this to myself ... for once ... but as itā€™s you, REH ...

With 2 excellent pieces of cinematography underway; Onwards to Victory and We are Port Adelaide, what possible rationale would the PAFC have to participate in that Amazon Sh!tshow?

All the more, given it allowed for more focus on the AFšŸ¤” finishing Bottom!

I like how you guys talk about Holly Ranson like you actually understand what she does. She might not be your cup of tea, but she's done pretty well for herself at an early age. I am sure we have middle-aged men on our board with similar or fewer skills than she has.

I hate to bring this old chestnut out, but your misogyny and ageism are showing.

I like how you guys talk about Holly Ranson like you actually understand what she does. She might not be your cup of tea, but she's done pretty well for herself at an early age. I am sure we have middle-aged men on our board with similar or fewer skills than she has.

I hate to bring this old chestnut out, but your misogyny and ageism are showing.
She has done very well for herself at an early age, no doubt about it.

As one of the only posters to defend Amanda Vanstone from unwarranted criticism on ths board you can hardly accuse me of misogyny. Ageism maybe. ;)

Having worked with people like Holly for decades I'll admit that I am overly cynical about people who talk in buzzwords. An intelligent person can explain complex matters in simple terms. A not so intelligent person uses buzzwords when talking about complex matters to hide their lack of true understanding. Unfortunately people who don't know any better lap up these buzzwords, especially when they consider the person delivering them to be attractive.

Yeah look, Iā€™m really open to new ideas and thinking on leadership and management, but Hollyā€™s experience doesnā€™t equate to the wisdom sheā€™s preaching. Thereā€™s some real ā€˜fake it til you make itā€™ vibes about her pitch.
what is she making? She'll be an expert who has never done it

Look at her career CV, there is no substance. I'm sure doors were prized open.

I study and know many female Entrepreneurs who have her covered ten times over. I'm not an ageist or sexist, I don't lean to people who get it from people who haven't done it.

I see it all the time, as a public school blue collar family origins, how the private school elite get the opportunities so much easier. Connections, networks, seclusion. Its tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is she making? She'll be an expert who has never done it
The definition of a consultant, "a person that knows one hundred ways to make love but has never had a partner".

She has done well for herself, there is no doubting that.
Questioning her value as a PAFC board member is neither misogynistic or ageist.

I'd actually challenge you to outline what it is that Holly does and how it has benefitted the club during her tenure. What are the skills she brings to the table? I'd seriously like to know.

Her own website is full of the type of language used by personal development 'gurus' that is intentionally vague and non-specific. She's in the same ballpark as Tony Robbins (at the top end) and Lucy Bloom (at the other end) where the hype doesn't match the reality.

As I said, I'm open to all sorts of disruptive thinking on management and leadership, I read a lot of content on this stuff as it's part what I do, but I have yet read anything of Holly's that isn't loose ideas from the zeitgeist that have been hobbled together to present herself as a Disruption/Leadership wunderkind.

The definition of a consultant, "a person that knows one hundred ways to make love but has never had a partner".

Haven't heard that one. I like it.

There's also: "A consultant is someone who steals your watch to tell you the time."

I like how you guys talk about Holly Ranson like you actually understand what she does. She might not be your cup of tea, but she's done pretty well for herself at an early age.
Look, it probably comes across as bias but I'd be interested in understanding more about what she has actually done. As Powerade said, according to Wikipedia:

Holly Ransom (born 7 February 1990) is a public speaker. She is the founder of Emergent, a one-person consultancy, where she engages and presents to organisations on disruptive strategy.

There is no doubt she is intelligent, ambitious, well educated, and an excellent public speaker and self promoter, but I'm not sure she's actually done anything other than go to uni, talk and advise. This is nothing about age. By the same age Elon Musk had already sold PayPal and was well on his way to starting Tesla and SpaceX. Young people can achieve great things. However, being a CEO of a one-person consulting company is not one of them.

... However, being a CEO of a one-person consulting company is not one of them.
I have been both the CEO and Principal Consultant of a one person consultancy. You shall all bow down before me and not question any of my opinions.

I have been both the CEO and Principal Consultant of a one person consultancy. You shall all bow down before me and not question any of my opinions.

I've been that CEO to a company with 14 employees and 4 franchises. I'm still working out which system is better :)

At least nobody will die or lose their shirt, a la Elizabeth Holmes.

I'd actually challenge you to outline what it is that Holly does and how it has benefitted the club during her tenure. What are the skills she brings to the table? I'd seriously like to know.
Can you do this for all the other board members? I'm not going to pretend I know if Holly is good at her job, or indeed if any of the other board members are. All I know is that Cardone's conflict of interest is ridiculous and untenable.

The fact Ransom gets pilloried in this thread and no-one else does is pretty obviously ageist and sexist.

The fact Ransom gets pilloried in this thread and no-one else does is pretty obviously ageist and sexist.

Tons of board members and prospective board members have come in for criticism at various times in the past, as have our Chairmen and CEOā€™s.

Ransom has always faced greater scrutiny as an outsider (West Coast fan), who was handpicked by a razzledazzle Chairman, and whose entire track-record seems to be about making stuffy old white men feel good about themselves at low-risk by ticking inclusivity and corporate modernity boxes.

Did you know she had a chat with Obama?!

Can you do this for all the other board members? I'm not going to pretend I know if Holly is good at her job, or indeed if any of the other board members are. All I know is that Cardone's conflict of interest is ridiculous and untenable.

Cardone gets pillored, Vanstone used to get pillored.

You're correct that we don't really know what any of the board members actually contribute but to say that questioning of Holly's worth to the board is pretty obviously ageist and sexist is way off the mark. She is the board member with the most nebulous credentials. Can't the contribution of young pretty things be questioned?

You disagreeing with any of my opinions is pretty obviously ageist though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back