Preview Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants @ the Gabba, Saturday 29 May 2021, 2:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

Does having Ally Anderson's name on that list mean shes retired? I missed that :eek:

edit: should have done my due diligence and researched that. I see nothing from a quick search.. so maybe its just odd and i'm wrong :) I hope so

Last edited:
Yes we SHOULD win, especially if we are a club contesting for the Premiership, this year again like we have been for the past 2-3 years now.

However, recent history has told us that we have not beaten the Giants at the GABBA since 2013, which is surprising to say the least that's it been so long we have beaten them at our ground, even though we have beaten them in Sydney a couple times under Fages coaching reign (2019 & 2020).

Another challenge for the boys this week and should be an entertaining match for both teams tomorrow (if it occurs), but we need to play to our system again WELL like the past 5-6 weeks have been otherwise I can see us losing unexpectedly similar to Swans match in Round 1, this year.

We were dreadful in the 2014-18 period and have only played the giants once at the gabba since the start of 2019 (losing by 3 points in the semi final). That giants team is obscenely stronger than the current lineup, although they are playing quite well at the moment.

We were dreadful in the 2014-18 period and have only played the giants once at the gabba since the start of 2019 (losing by 3 points in the semi final). That giants team is obscenely stronger than the current lineup, although they are playing quite well at the moment.

Our stats will be bad at the Gabba against basically anyone if they were half decent and we haven't played them there much in the last 2 seasons. E.g. prior to our win earlier this season we hadn't beaten Essendon at the Gabba for over a decade (last win was Rd 6, 2009). These stats are completely useless.

When I first saw the report GWS denied travel to Brisbane I felt for the players as routine is important especially for away games
But the below article from foxsports sheds a bit more light on the interstate trip
GWS new it was possible that they would not be granted permission to travel

3PM - GIANTS SENT PACKING FROM SYDNEY AIRPORT
Greater Western Sydney players and staff were denied permission to board their Sydney Airport flight today to Queensland to play Brisbane on Saturday, but the team are expected to be given permission to board tomorrow for the 2:10pm game.

The Herald Sun reports Queensland health authorities declared the Giants ‘dirty’ given they played Richmond in Victoria less than a fortnight ago.

Leon Cameron’s squad arrived at the airport on Friday morning hoping to be given the all clear, but understood there was a potential issue heading in and are content to fly across on game day.

“We were working through it with the government this morning and waiting for clearance, so we had to plan as if we were going but only got a heads-up half an hour ago we were denied,” McCartney told the Herald Sun.

“We are in the lounge but we will pack up and go home and fly up tomorrow.”

Looking for a preview writer for next week against Melbourne!

Sign up now (reply to this post or at https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-brisbane-lions-preview-writers-sought.1254330/) and you'll get a nice little badge from Chief!

Edit: Many many thanks to DERRINALPHIL for stepping in on short notice. There's still plenty of spots left in the latter part of the year that need filling too!

If I was capable of intellectualising the game rather than feel it on a lizard brain level I'd put my hand up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference being Toby is actually a good footballer who has demonstrated that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Green has really cleaned up his act since taking on the captaincy.

He's a great player and shown absolute loyalty to the unfashionable Giants.

Credit where it's due.

Last edited:
As Fagan mentioned we will back our system in defense along with midfield pressure
Our defense listed as
Andrews .: 201cm - 100kg
Birchall ..: 193cm - 89kg
Adams....: 192cm - 93kg
Starcevich: 188cm - 88kg
Madden ...: 186cm - 85kg
Rich.........: 183cm - 87kg
Ah Chee ..: 182cm - 78kg
I really thought Adams was taller than that. And especially taller than Birchall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back