Review Dogs Lose to Demons by 28 - Rd 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne were absolutely first rate. That was a benchmark win and kudos to them.

We aren’t that far away though and I’d really love to see us go round 2 against them with Dunkley and Treloar back in the team. They might still roll us though. Reminded me of Geelong at their best. Hard and skilled and Gawn is a deadset superhero.

Reminded me of the Eagles game, except we were able to claw our way back.

Felt like we were so worried about May and Lever that we didn't want to take any risks down the line, but of course, we were happy to take risks kicking across the ground.

Disappointing, lapses in concentration, crumbling under pressure. We instinctively handball whenever we're tackled which works well for us when we have space around the contest but the good teams will get numbers around the ball and pressure us.

In games like these, we need to find another gear up.

Disappointing performance.

Thought that Roarke Smith was pretty solid, apart from that not so good turnover in the 4th Quarter. I am someone who has never really been convinced, but he did display a level of composure on occasions that other players (some of whom more experienced) did not reach.

We'll get to negatives later.

I was expecting a loss, a bit disappointed at the margin.

Melbourne’s pressure was very good, and they really targetted Bont and Libba, which was good coaching.

Still they don’t have any injuries to key players, and could use their best 22 unlike us. Our intensity seemed down tonight, I think too many of our best 22 missing and our guns just couldn’t make up the difference. It also meant they could target our guns, having Martin, Treloar, McClean and Dunks back will make a huge difference. The next time we play them we will have those players back,and by the laws of average they will be missing some of there’s. But Melbourne do look the best team in the competition at the moment.

We ballsed it up going through the corridor early, were too timid to go through the middle thereafter , and got smashed through the corridor the other way.

We were slightly off and gave them a start with some stupid turnovers. We make the most of some early momentum in the 3rd we might have got our tail up. Credit to Melbourne they defensively are fantastic. Rather this happen now than in the finals and we have some good ins. Never thought we were too far out of it post quarter time
Slightly?

Garcia’s two touches were more impressive and he looked far more capable.
Showed a nice step at one point. He's shown enough at VFL level to demonstrate some AFL traits. VDM showed some similar signs in his first year of VFL football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harmes was enormous. Brayshow's defending of the fat side meant we couldn't switch the ball easily. We can learn a lot from this.
Not just Brayshaw, their whole defensive setup and disciplined defensive running was excellent. Usually we open teams up after that switch kick.

Felt like this was butlers opportunity to show he can play at the level. And didn’t impress.

Garcia’s two touches were more impressive and he looked far more capable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
has never looked up to it for mine when i watch him at VFL level, tonight didnt change my mind, Garcia looked good in those brief moments

As Commented in the game day. Teams don't recently win the flag from top of the ladder. Too much pressure I think and this season reminds me of 2009 saints vs Geelong. Has the same feel.

As for the game. The backs handled it better than they did against the tigers despite the turnovers. I think this game was lost however due to work rate.

The flattest i've ever been after a game was June 18th 2016. The Cats flogged us and after such a promising start to the season i honestly thought i'd never see a flag in my lifetime. That night taught me that things are never as bad as they seem. This game reminded me of that night.

We are still good enough, we just have about 4 months to iron out the kinks.

Last week i gave credit to our elite half backs, tonight they were our biggest weakness. They gave up a lead we just couldn't peg back and deserve their right whack.

Personnel will make a huge difference come the pointy end. Give us the hardness and experience of Wood, Treloar, Dunks, McLean, Martin and it's a different result.

I've been an unabashed fan of Bevo since day one but I thought his performance was poor tonight. We seemed too concerned with the Dees gameplan and hence could never get our own game going. The best teams worry not about the opposition and back their own style in. I thought we were on the backfoot from minute one because we were far too conscious of what the Dees were doing behind the ball. Took away our natural instinct.

Lots to learn from. Go Dogs.

McNeil hasn’t done much all year. Needs to go
He's been fantastic at sacrificing his game and blocking for the forwards.
If you see the game live his off the ball stuff is very good. I didn't see it either until I saw him live. HF is a dead zone so we've been pushing role players there this year and it's helped us immensely.

We got shown up tonight, not for the first time. I honestly think we’ve had it to easy and coming up against a solid side we just got jumped. Honestly that’s the best we’ve got to face this year and it’s not much… if we play them full strength later in the year we’ll beat them, *ing easily. They do not worry me
One bit

He's been fantastic at sacrificing his game and blocking for the forwards.
If you see the game live his off the ball stuff is very good. I didn't see it either until I saw him live. HF is a dead zone so we've been pushing role players there this year and it's helped us immensely.
Yep this

The tag on Libba worked. Harmes had more clearances than he did and Libba was well down.

Bevo and co did not have an answer for Melbourne’s corridor clog. Not sure if we even really tried to break it.

We’ve been much more consistent this year but still worrying that we can really go missing as an entire team.. First half against Carlton, 2nd half against Richmond, the whole night tonight.

Who played well? Roarke, English then....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back