Why do workers vote Liberal?

Remove this Banner Ad

well, people who look for short-term hip pocket solutions are thick.
Garbage. People in a financially precarious situation often don't have the luxury of thinking beyond the short-term.

Giving people immediate financial security is critical before you can expect them to take a long-term view.

Garbage. People in a financially precarious situation often don't have the luxury of thinking beyond the short-term.

Giving people immediate financial security is critical before you can expect them to take a long-term view.
the reason so many are in a financially precarious position is because they need to work more than one job, had their pay frozen for yonks, been casualised so they have no time-off protections etc etc. get down from your ivory tower and into the real world.

* he made more sense when he was a super mod*:p

the reason so many are in a financially precarious position is because they need to work more than one job, had their pay frozen for yonks, been casualised so they have no time-off protections etc etc. get down from your ivory tower and into the real world.

* he made more sense when he was a super mod*:p
This might be the case, but it's academic unless the voters understand it and believe something will be done about it.

You are missing my point... I have not disputed any of this. Nonetheless the current situation is the current situation, irrespective of how we got here.

If people are living precariously, they are worried about the short-term, they are forced to vote for short-term measures, those short-term measures keep them in a precarious situation.

It doesn't happen because people are thick. It happens because it's a self-reinforcing cycle. If you want to break it, you have to offer both short-term relief AND long-term fixes. If you don't, short-term relief wins out by necessity.

I am sure that if Labor offered low and middle income earners a better short-term deal than the Coalition, they would flock to them. People want the long-term fixes - they just can't afford to give up the short-term benefits to get them.

Last edited:
You are missing my point... I have not disputed any of this. Nonetheless the current situation is the current situation, irrespective of how we got here.

If people are living precariously, they are worried about the short-term, they are forced to vote for short-term measures, those short-term measures keep them in a precarious situation.

It doesn't happen because people are thick. It happens because it's a self-reinforcing cycle. If you want to break it, you have to offer both short-term relief AND long-term fixes. If you don't, short-term relief wins out by necessity.

I am sure that if Labor offered low and middle income earners a better short-term deal than the Coalition, they would flock to them. People want the long-term fixes - they just can't afford to give up the short-term benefits to get them.
So let's forget about the bigger picture, the major longer-term unfairness, inequities, loss of rights etc so long as one gets a few bucks in ones pocket immediately.

Bit like the person who jumps off the cliff cos the view on the way down is so-so good.

So let's forget about the bigger picture, the major longer-term unfairness, inequities, loss of rights etc so long as one gets a few bucks in ones pocket immediately.

Bit like the person who jumps off the cliff cos the view on the way down is so-so good.
No.
If you want to break it, you have to offer both short-term relief AND long-term fixes. If you don't, short-term relief wins out by necessity.
This is not the first time recently you’ve misrepresented something I’ve posted, I’d love it if you’d stop.

Earlier in this thread I made the following point about the Labor Party and their neoliberalism:

They like money. Corporations have money. And corporations will only give them money if they're willing to do the corporations' bidding. Hence there's little serious push by the Labor Party to regulate corporations better and deal with corporate tax avoidance.

Appropriately, I recently found this tweet:

FB_IMG_1621985782803.jpg

i agree with most of that. where I disagree is that so many people don’t think past the day-to-day even when options are placed before them. labor has proposed that exec packages should be frozen and there should be a mechanism to control them. fought the new round of workplace reforms. fought for wage increases in the fair work commission,. fought to give workers back choice in employment negotiations. proposed changes to stop workplace underpayment etc etc

i get that putting food on the table should be the first order priority. what i am saying that most don’t consider the reasons behind that predicament which so often is the caused by changes the liberals have made to workplace conditions. where as a condition of employment they’ve lost the choice of full-time employment and the benefits that flow from it. they’ve seen their wages frozen - ie gone backwards while the fat cats haven’t. they’ve seen executives get bonus often when they’ve underperformed. ceo and executive packages have ballooned. it’s liberals who have been in office by far the most of the last decades. and who have fought wage rises in the fair work commission every time.

it’s not hard to walk and chew at the same time. stop and think what is behind lack of choice when in comes to employment conditions and why underemployment has become an epidemic.

what i would say is that labor is not good at selling it's policies and the liberals are very good at scare campaigns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree with most of that. where I disagree is that so many people don’t think past the day-to-day even when options are placed before them. labor has proposed that exec packages should be frozen and there should be a mechanism to control them. fought the new round of workplace reforms. fought for wage increases in the fair work commission,. fought to give workers back choice in employment negotiations. proposed changes to stop workplace underpayment etc etc

i get that putting food on the table should be the first order priority. what i am saying that most don’t consider the reasons behind that predicament which so often is the caused by changes the liberals have made to workplace conditions. where as a condition of employment they’ve lost the choice of full-time employment and the benefits that flow from it. they’ve seen their wages frozen - ie gone backwards while the fat cats haven’t. they’ve seen executives get bonus often when they’ve underperformed. ceo and executive packages have ballooned. it’s liberals who have been in office by far the most of the last decades. and who have fought wage rises in the fair work commission every time.

it’s not hard to walk and chew at the same time. stop and think what is behind lack of choice when in comes to employment conditions and why underemployment has become an epidemic.

what i would say is that labor is not good at selling it's policies and the liberals are very good at scare campaigns.

Food on the table has to be adressed, yet wage increases are happening. We ignore Super, sadly more for politics than anything else.

The workers in the Upper Hunter wanted to keep their jobs, food on the table.
that would be the reason. vote in labor and they'd have no job and no food on the table.:rolleyes:

the seat has been coalition for more than 100 years. labor was never going to win it. labor's loss of support had a lot to do with poor leadership, local political issues and move to independents - the latter affecting the nats as well.

the broader picture is the libs have been able to sell the fable they are for workers and they are better economic managers. now we have a record debt and workers are being royally screwed on all fronts maybe the they'll wake-up to the fact the liberals hate 'em.

The problem is most people don't see those issues as directly effecting them.

The other thing is the policy responses sometimes miss the mark, we see that with wage growth because while everyone wants higher wage but the problem is explaining how to make that happen.

that would be the reason. vote in labor and they'd have no job and no food on the table.:rolleyes:

the seat has been coalition for more than 100 years. labor was never going to win it. labor's loss of support had a lot to do with poor leadership, local political issues and move to independents - the latter affecting the nats as well.

the broader picture is the libs have been able to sell the fable they are for workers and they are better economic managers. now we have a record debt and workers are being royally screwed on all fronts maybe the they'll wake-up to the fact the liberals hate 'em.

Mining workers are not struggling.

This is where the left's messaging gets lost because Miners and other blue collar workers are no longer low paid.

Debt isn't a problem except the Liberals look like hypocrites.

Fossil fuels, franking credits, private school funding and negative gearing, we can't touch these policies because apparently people have factored in their government welfare to future plans. Everyone else is fair game.
Neither party want to touch the residential property not being included in the pension asset test.

A couple sitting in a 1.5 million dollar property getting $1200 a fortnight contributed to by asset poor younger people travelling long distances to work who have next to no chance of achieving the same level of wealth. People whose parents do not own properties.

All to gold plate the inheritance of those peoples children.

People want to protect their way of life. People are against "too much" immigration for various reasons.

As well as financial reasons.

It's not just an Australian thing. It's a human thing. Just like toilet paper hoarding.

Most people don’t pay much attention to politics, and when an election rolls around they pretty much just vote for who the media (News / Nine / 7) tells them to.

The media got behind Rudd so he won government. Since then they’ve been all in on the Libs.
Aunty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back