What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The most recent game worthy of consideration. A late flurry made it look better than the perception but it was awful.

It was really bad. I said it's in the game day thread, but I recon the lack of a crowd was a factor. The constant moronic plays and defensive decisions would not have been acceptable. Just think the energy of a pissed off crowd may have fired these guys up to pay more instinctively, instead of to their coaches horrid plans.

Worst game I have ever seen - and I have seen some shockers - is North v St Kilda 2018 Good Friday where both sides kicked 2.10 apiece at half time. It is bad in a legendary sense. I am not alone in my nomination of this atrocity . . . . .

HG Pennypacker

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
London
AFL Club
Adelaide

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Collingwood vs Geelong, Round 11, 2021.

What is it with recent Geelong and Collingwood matches producing terrible standard games regardless of who wins, or whether the game is close or one-sided?

Is there any way the 2022 fixtures could be structured so there are no Magpies vs. Cats games?

Melbourne v Gold Coast in 2016 @ MCG where Jack Watts . . . . saved the day and Tom Lynch missed a goal after the siren. This was a heroically incompetent game. Melbourne great David Schwarz declared on radio this was “some of the worst footy we’ll ever see”.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Melbourne v Gold Coast in 2016 @ MCG where Jack Watts . . . . saved the day and Tom Lynch missed a goal after the siren. This was a heroically incompetent game.

I remember that game. They should have played the Benny Hill chase music over the loudspeaker while the game was in progress, and the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song as the teams left the ground.

I wasn't at the game, but a Fremantle Dockers vs. Port Adelaide match in Perth in 2018 would have to the worst ever. If football games were movies, that one would be 'Jack and Jill'.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
What is it with recent Geelong and Collingwood matches producing terrible standard games regardless of who wins, or whether the game is close or one-sided?

Is there any way the 2022 fixtures could be structured so there are no Magpies vs. Cats games?
Collingwood might fold before then 🤷

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats vs Dees last year was an absolute stinker. Hard to say if it was worse than today though.

Vaccination

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
Any game after the year 2000 involving the Cats playing the Eagles at Kardinia (Minus 2006)

Same formula every time, pleasantly surprised after decent 1st quarter, disappointed after 2nd quarter and stop watching by the 3rd quarter.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne v Gold Coast in 2016 @ MCG where Jack Watts . . . . saved the day and Tom Lynch missed a goal after the siren. This was a heroically incompetent game. Melbourne great David Schwarz declared on radio this was “some of the worst footy we’ll ever see”.
I flew to Melbourne for that game and the next one I flew over for was vs Brisbane, maybe a year or so later. That was also a hideous game, it was the one where Matheson got a heaps of frees for ducking and dropping at the knees.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I looked over cats v pies games for the last few years, just complete garbage. There will have never have been so many consecutive games between two sides which have been so trash.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Not live, but worst game I saw on TV was an Essendon v Fremantle game in the early 2000s. Essendon were in their post-2001 decline, and Fremantle still very mediocre.

Bombers jumped out to a 4-5 goal lead early on.....and then just coasted along in second gear with no apparent desire to put the game away. They had no interest in dealing out a belting, and Freo weren't good enough to make the game closer. So the margin just fluttered around 25-30 points all game, with no excitement or interest whatsoever.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Round 23 2016. Adelaide vs West Coast. Adelaide needed a win for 3rd or a narrow loss for 4th which would have made the difference in their season. That game was an absolute disaster and cost Adelaide any chance at premiership contention that year. They finished 5th and it was all but done for them. Made the GF in 2017 but I always thought the 2016 team was better.

Last edited:

Vaccination

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
Round 23 2016. Adelaide vs West Coast. Adelaide needed a win for 3rd or a narrow loss for 4th which would have made the difference in their season. That game was an absolute disaster and cost Adelaide any chance at premiership contention that year. They finished 5th and it was all but done for them. Made the GF in 2017 but I always thought the 2016 team was better.
To make matters worse it meant that we had ended the season full of confidence having beaten GWS, Hawthorn and Adelaide on the trot. Despite the quality of wins and having 16 wins in total that still led us to only a 6th place finish.

It was fine though as we were facing a Bulldogs side that looked like crap having lost to the worst Freo side I've ever seen. Needless to say I don't need to tell you how that worked out

sutto

Debutant
Feb 16, 2008
Burnie
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton,Redskins,Anaheim
Hawks Kangas.JPG

This snooze fest I had the misfortune of attending in 2006 in fine conditions. 1st Quarter was lively, after that not so much.

Back