Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

All the good delivery in the world won't help him if he's the only KPF inside 50 with 2 opponents.
Its hard at the moment and I understand what you are saying, but he just needs that confidence of something to click and then click again and he will be on his way. He is a great shot for goal and that will also build confidence up the ground. The problem is we are often winning clearances but getting smashed on the next disposal. It's asking a lot of a key forward especially a young one to have to keep leading, and leading, and then lead again with no clear direction.

Its hard at the moment and I understand what you are saying, but he just needs that confidence of something to click and then click again and he will be on his way. He is a great shot for goal and that will also build confidence up the ground. The problem is we are often winning clearances but getting smashed on the next disposal. It's asking a lot of a key forward especially a young one to have to keep leading, and leading, and then lead again with no clear direction.

Look mate, I'm not making complete excuses for Nick as he has got to positions where he should have executed a lot better, but I am also acknowledging the continual toll the current situation places on a young bloke's confidence.

He's probably been more negatively effected by the 2021 tactics than anyone else, and I struggle to see any valid counter-argument against that point.

The heat needs to go on him.

This is his 5th year on the list and his performances are putrid.

This "he gets double teamed" is garbage. He constantly gets pushed under and off the ball and when is the last time you saw him coming at the ball with any intent in or outside the 50?

He has a long term deal and literally no one challenging for his position. He is playing accordingly.
Brilliant summation. I agree wholeheartedly. I said the same thing on the weekend.

I cut him some slack because our ball use i50 is diabolical. At 22 I also don't think he's physically mature enough to handle the best oppo KPD. These are out of his control.

The things that frustrate me are the things that he can control:
  • Pressure & tackling - The standard he set against Adelaide should be the benchmark for every week, it has been an outlier
  • Marking the ball in front - This chest mark first stuff is for the bin
  • Repeat lead patterns - Having attended 6 games in person this year, he doesn't work hard enough (understand this may be an engine thing)

I cut him some slack because our ball use i50 is diabolical. At 22 I also don't think he's physically mature enough to handle the best oppo KPD. These are out of his control.

The things that frustrate me are the things that he can control:
  • Pressure & tackling - The standard he set against Adelaide should be the benchmark for every week, it has been an outlier
  • Marking the ball in front - This chest mark first stuff is for the bin
  • Repeat lead patterns - Having attended 6 games in person this year, he doesn't work hard enough (understand this may be an engine thing)

I agree.

Can’t tackle or don’t want to over commit = slow the ball carrier down, position body to either face wings or opposite foot.

Got a player behind you = hands outstretched is a must (chest mark is best only when you have made enough clearance between you and the defender eg. Tick leads)

He gets gassed easy in my opinion, especially when he had to do the rucking.

I agree.

Can’t tackle or don’t want to over commit = slow the ball carrier down, position body to either face wings or opposite foot.

Got a player behind you = hands outstretched is a must (chest mark is best only when you have made enough clearance between you and the defender eg. Tick leads)

He gets gassed easy in my opinion, especially when he had to do the rucking.

Spot on, these are absolute basics that he's just not doing. It seems to have been around last year when he came back from the ankle that I've noticed his almost non-existent leading patterns. Not sure what's going on with him. Used to be a favourite of mine. Hope he gets back to the basics and really kicks on.

Something something leads our goal kicking at the club at the moment.

Hopefully I don't need to elaborate what my point is.

Garner Campbell and zurhaar took marks in the fwd 50. Yes our delivery was bad at times but this shows there was some good delivery there. Larkey is playing behind his man and even focusing too much on the man and not the ball. He's way out of form and down on confidence

Playing like drewy was in his final year.

If Noble is serious, he will get one more week to show something.

If not, he will be having a run in the VFL after the bye, with Taz or Walker taking his spot at FF until he pulls his finger out.

maybe even both, if aidan corr's toe responds properly to treatment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's one out in the worst team in the comp in an era of team defence. Lynch's output at Richmond, despite all the bull$%&# razzamatazz that goes with him, is no better. Not many outstanding one out KPF in the comp. Maybe McKay.

Been saying this for 18 months now... it's impossible to judge the quality of forwards at NMFC because the delivery is generally putrid.

HAVING SAID THAT... I'd love to see Larkey lead strong at the man with the ball more often. Has been caught running back towards goal and directing the player to kick on his head far too much this year. And he's also dropped his fair share of sitters as well.

Definitely down on confidence and lacking support of another key forward as has already been mentioned by plenty of others. Let’s just hope this is a phase; I remember Drew Petrie at a similar stage of his career having a parallel experience.

Not concerned at all with Nick. I think he is developing well. He is 22 pretty much playing one out in the worst team in the comp. Certainly needs more support up forward(Xerri would be handy) and as the midfield matures and players get drilled with gameplan then we’ll see the best of Larkey.

This is a reminder to us how good a player Petrie was at his best. Third quarter comeback

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Petrie's an interesting comparison. People forget what a slow burn he was. He played a fair bit early in defence and although he had elite athletic traits for his size, he definitely lacked football nous. That came in the second half of his career and he eventually became a good, and at times a very good, player.

I still don’t see it with Nick.

Doesn’t have any standout attributes.

Not quick off the mark and cannot seem to create space.
Doesn’t have a leap.
Hands are ok without being great.
Doesn‘t have strength.
Spends way too much time for my liking looking for the free kick than working on contesting the ball.

Everyone seems to want to compare him with Petrie, but Petrie was a much better athlete and footballer than Larkey will ever be.

I still don’t see it with Nick.

Doesn’t have any standout attributes.

Not quick off the mark and cannot seem to create space.
Doesn’t have a leap.
Hands are ok without being great.
Doesn‘t have strength.
Spends way too much time for my liking looking for the free kick than working on contesting the ball.

Everyone seems to want to compare him with Petrie, but Petrie was a much better athlete and footballer than Larkey will ever be.
If he didn’t push his first shot wide & gets that clear arm chop decision …. It’s a 4-0 goal game

don’t think it’s all that bad when he’s operating as the sole genuine tall forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back