Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

If ball winning and tackle pressure yesterday were our main issue (I do agree they were issues), then we wouldn't see the following theme:

Only once in the preceding 5 games have we been on the better side of the shots per inside 50 ledger. That was against Collingwood, where we were marginally better by 1 per cent. Against Essendon we had more inside 50s for far fewer scoring shots. We had only 2 more scoring shots against Hawthorn from 19 more inside 50s. We had nearly as many inside 50s as Melbourne for 7 fewer scoring shots, and against Freo our conversion percentage was possibly the worst it has been.

I can't be bothered doing the other rounds but it's a continuing theme.

vs Essendon
Ess: 33 shots from 50 inside 50s
NM: 18 shots from 51 inside 50s

vs Hawthorn
Haw: 23 shots from 40 inside 50s
NM: 25 shots from 59 inside 50s

vs Collingwood
Collingwood: 26 shots from 55 inside 50s
NM: 25 shots from 52 inside 50s

vs Melbourne
Melbourne: 28 shots from 52 inside 50s
NM: 21 shots from 51 inside 50s

vs Freo
Freo: 32 shots from 54 inside 50s
NM: 18 shots from 44 inside 50s
See I think that stat is misleading and again reflective of the midfield. The fact the opposition get so many shots on goal from their inside 50s is the ease in which it comes in. Opposition mids have so much time and space streaming into our defence that they are more than likely to pick out a forward in space. Our defenders have done a pretty good job considering the ease in which it comes in. On the flip side our mids aren’t running hard enough forward to get themselves in space and take the right option but rather it’s a rushed kick forward giving the forwards no real chance. I am not sure where north ranks in the comp for midfield pressure but I reckon we would be last.

It doesn't have to a traditional stay at home forward that only plays close to goal.

Sure, I can accept that. There are different types of way to play a forward but at the end of the day the basic question is do we want our forwards contributing defensively or not? If Larkey's man is free then we're down a number - sure we may win it (despite being a man down) and then be able to have Larkey as a free option but the odds are low.

Too many times when we push all our numbers back we are left with no options to kick to in an attacking sense once we regain possession. We also have to work around the two spare defenders the opposition have sitting in space. That tends to force us to hold up the ball as we wait to get numbers forward which allows the opposition to flood back or the other option is to bite off the riskier attacking kick which can pay off but, as we have seen this year on numerous occasions, tends to result in a dangerous turnover.

Ideally this is where Larkey busts his nut to get back to be the final option. I'll see if I can get some vision of Naughton doing this on Friday.

When we win it back it shouldn't be Larkey as the first option. It should be link up play whilst he charges forward stretching their defence.

Also by sprinting back to defence and then having to run forward to try to present as an option blokes like Larkey and Zurhaar are half-knackered by the time they are competing for the ball. It also means the forwards aren't leading at the ball carrier but are trying to run back into space with the ball needing to be precisely delivered. Better fitness and work rate may help to make this a more effective tactic.

This is the problem right now. What we don't want to do though is play to those limitations (both have tanks that are pretty poor right now, to my eye - I think that will be a big focus going forward). Ben Brown had a massive massive tank. Drew also pretty great in that area. Drew also played in defence for parts of his career so had that skill to help out.
We play to where we want this to be - and that is everyone contributing to defense and attack.

Why not try keeping someone forward? It would at least give us an option to kick to as well as making the spare opposition defenders decide whether to just zone off and block space or to defend one on one. It doesn't have to be a long bombs to Snake scenario, though this may work at times depending on the matchup and the positioning of the players at the time. The forward could play a defensive role or as a decoy that tries to drag one of the spares out of position. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this start to be used as the list continues to develop and the team gets better at playing different roles under Noble.

Because it's a shortcut accounting for Larkey and zurharrs shortcomings. They can and should be better. We need to improve the odds we even win the contest. Having team members not joining in the defense is just soul destroying - anyone who plays team sport will attest to that.

See I think that stat is misleading and again reflective of the midfield. The fact the opposition get so many shots on goal from their inside 50s is the ease in which it comes in. Opposition mids have so much time and space streaming into our defence that they are more than likely to pick out a forward in space. Our defenders have done a pretty good job considering the ease in which it comes in. On the flip side our mids aren’t running hard enough forward to get themselves in space and take the right option but rather it’s a rushed kick forward giving the forwards no real chance. I am not sure where north ranks in the comp for midfield pressure but I reckon we would be last.

I'd be interested to see the scores from turonvers/rebound 50s stats. My speculation is that the opposition is set up for the intercept while our blokes have to bust a gut running forward, and then when it does get intercepted, they lose intensity having to then sprint defensively to set up the tight press. Coupled with not having the fittest list going around. I reckon what we'd probably see against St Kilda is us ahead in the average speed running forward stats (not by a lot), while they dominate the average speed running defensively stats.

I also noted against Essendon and St Kilda that they both played two loose behind the play. They can two-out Larkey or identify our blokes running forward and pick them up as they do, ensuring that by the time we get it inside 50 we have no separation for an effective shot.

That's pure speculation just based on the eye test, though. I don't have those numbers through AFL StatsPro so could be way off.

How'd he run out the VFL game against *?

The club knew supporters would ask why he wasn't in, hence the vid.

Really well.

The VFL is also several degrees slower in intensity than the AFL.

Don't get me wrong, I want X in the team. I would have played X this week.

But I can see an argument as to why he might be held back at the moment.

I’m not an inner scrotum type, so I wouldn’t 100% know.

I’m just a fan of the approach method itself and its successful application amongst highly successful sports clubs. Ultimately, it is about producing a singular planned vision and getting everyone to invest in it by having a stake in it, and contributing to its success. Noble may or may not have the right processes, but is too early to tell atm. If he fails, it is because he stuffed the method with crap processes.

In saying all that, I can still guess. Starting from club strategy informing everything from the support, the organisation and coaches all the way down to individual preparations. The organisational, support and coaching processes, including VFL list management, have barely been implemented and will have to be seriously addressed over the next 2 years. Next is the gameplan and that is in the early stages of development. It has already been critiqued by others smarter than me. I think list management, average forward structures and fitness are the biggest problems with the gameplan, but the processes approach does allow for adjustment and reflection.

Next is list management and having clear processes for that aspect. What talent should be targeted, should leaders be targeted, do all scouts have clear instructions on what they should be looking for, etc. Then there’s player management and getting the right development processes in place so the vfl side isn’t being wasted and we are actually developing kids. This feature is poorly developed as Noble inherited rubbish.

Mate, I don't know what this is even supposed to mean.

All clubs engage in a "process approach", this was no different with Brad Scott or Rhyce Shaw, and I am not buying "this time is different" as a valid response.

It's just empty generic managerial spruik.

Bingo!

Anyone picking out defenders to blame for the current predicament are missing the tidal wave that causes the leaks.

Mordy, you don't think anyone is actually calling for a Tony Lockett type full forward in 2021, do you mate?

It's about maintaining some type of a threatening tall forward structure at the back of the press, to take pressure relieving marks, counter thrust marks, and for the crumbers to run on to................and dare I say it............to give us a tall long option down the line.

Nick Larkey vs 2 defenders isn't going to cut it mate.

Larkey should be part of the defense and the attack. There's no excuse for him not being able to do both.

I don't think anyone's calling for a Lockett - players are much fitter now and it means there are more joining in on attack - on the flipside, more are required to defend. We shouldn't play to people's weaknesses. Larkey will get fitter and this is what he will need to do.

Mate, I don't know what this is even supposed to mean.

All clubs engage in a "process approach", this was no different with Brad Scott or Rhyce Shaw, and I am not buying "this time is different" as a valid response.

It's just empty generic managerial spruik.
I’ll simplify it then. It is a very mechanical-cog, stage 1 leads to stage 2, approach that has been adopted by Richmond, Liverpool and many other clubs. We can mock it, but this is how many coaches think nowadays.

Rhyce was more orientated towards a person-driven approach that burnt him out and is better suited to lower level management.

I'd be interested to see the scores from turonvers/rebound 50s stats. My speculation is that the opposition is set up for the intercept while our blokes have to bust a gut running forward, and then when it does get intercepted, they lose intensity having to then sprint defensively to set up the tight press. Coupled with not having the fittest list going around. I reckon what we'd probably see against St Kilda is us ahead in the average speed running forward stats (not by a lot), while they dominate the average speed running defensively stats.

I also noted against Essendon and St Kilda that they both played two loose behind the play. They can two-out Larkey or identify our blokes running forward and pick them up as they do, ensuring that by the time we get it inside 50 we have no separation for an effective shot.

That's pure speculation just based on the eye test, though. I don't have those numbers through AFL StatsPro so could be way off.

Kicks

15th for kicks
12th for handballs
18th in Metres Gained Per Game

The contest

18th in Contested Possessions Per Game
18th in Contested Marks Per Game
17th in One Percenters Per Game

Opponent run

1st for opponent handballs per game
5th for most Opponent Metres Gained Per Game

Scores, assists and opponent scores

16th in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
17th for goal assists
1st for goal assists against
18th for points scored
1st for points scored against
18th in Score Involvements Per Game

Inside 50's

15th for inside 50's
3rd for opponent inside 50's per game
17th in Team to Opponent Inside 50s Per Game Differential

Turnovers

3rd in turnovers per game
3rd in least opponent turnovers per game
1st in Team to Opponent Turnovers Per Game Differential

Last edited:
I’ll simplify it then. It is a very mechanical-cog, stage 1 leads to stage 2, approach that has been adopted by Richmond, Liverpool and many other clubs. We can mock it, but this is how many coaches think nowadays.

Rhyce was more orientated towards a person-driven approach that burnt him out and is better suited to lower level management.

In a perfect world we'd have Noble AND Rhyce.

Kicks

15th for kicks
18th in Metres Gained Per Game

The contest

18th in Contested Possessions Per Game
18th in Contested Marks Per Game
17th in One Percenters Per Game

Opponent run

1st for opponent handballs per game
5th for most Opponent Metres Gained Per Game

Scores, assists and opponent scores

16th in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
17th for goal assists
1st for goal assists against
18th for points scored
1st for points scored against
18th in Score Involvements Per Game

Inside 50's

15th for inside 50's
3rd for opponent inside 50's per game
17th in Team to Opponent Inside 50s Per Game Differential

Turnovers

3rd in turnovers per game
3rd in least opponent turnovers per game
1st in Team to Opponent Turnovers Per Game Differential

What a miserable stat line. Looks like we have to work harder than anyone else to gain ground and score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simplify it? I'd rather you expand it to give it empirical shape.

This is little more than the empty spruik that impresses the clueless.

I don't want a Paul Roos amway commercial mate, I want substance.

What a miserable stat line. Looks like we have to work harder than anyone else to gain ground and score.

We are over-possessing the ball and playing in to the hands of the opposition.

The numbers don't lie.

Noble inherited an absolute dire list, a fractured club and has had 6-8 starting 22 players missing for most of the season so far. Probably had 5 players not up to AFL standard in the team yesterday. He’s 11 games into a full on rebuild. I can see somewhat the game plan he is trying to build, win the ball in the backline and then counter attack through the corridor. It’s attacking and prone to turnovers currently but it’s a whole lot better than a flooding and stoppage shitshow. Of course we haven’t the skill and cattle to be any good at it currently and it’s very frustrating watching the horror show at times but Noble must be given another 18 months before a proper assessment can be made. I remember around 5-6 years ago playing an emerging Lions team at Marvel. We beat them comfortably but I can recall on how well the played and that they’ll be ok in a few years time. Look at them now.

Simplify it? I'd rather you expand it to give it empirical shape.

This is little more than the empty spruik that impresses the clueless.

I don't want a Paul Roos amway commercial mate, I want substance.
You know as a science man that the experiment is far from over and we aren't even through the first season of observation. We are nowhere near the stage where we can produce reasonable results and recommendations from the empirical data, because we simply lack enough data. Using data from only the earliest possible stages of the experiment is not how things work.

I think the 2023/24 finals timeframe offers the widest and best range of data for us to properly decipher. If we have failed to reach finals by that point, feel free to drag up all the past posts and say I told you so. This doesn't free Noble from criticism and I have issues with the gameplan/selection/structures, but it takes time to implement crap and years to build lists to contend.

Okay, I'll ask you then mate.

What IS the process, and how do you see it delivering?

He’s answered this question.
- He’s spoken of adding additional strings to players bows (eg Simpkin developing outside game, TT developing inside game).
- he’s also spoken of permanent positional moves that compliment an attacking game plan (Hall to HBF is the most obvious and has finally provided us with a quick highly skilled user that helps set us up).
- Other areas are our midfield setups, in which I know for a fact that Noble and Russell have spent considerable time with the midfield group in analysing and executing a more sustainable setup that has resulted in clearances being a real strength of our game (despite rotating so many kids through there).
- Also our defensive press which has been very evident in the Hawthorn & Melbourne games where we own the corridor and make the opposition slow their ball movement, which has been another level of vast improvement despite missing 3 of our most experienced defenders.
- Our use of the corridor when our ball use is consistent is also extremely damaging and he’s engaining within the playing group that if it’s on, we use it (obviously with that comes turn overs as they refine decision making and skill execution).

All areas remains very much a work in progress but you’d have to be blind Freddy to not see what they are trying to implement. The obvious area that requires more work is the forward line, however given our improvement in other areas I’m confident that they will address this with time, better skills and perhaps some personnel changes.

Hopefully you can now stop potting the coach who I personally think is doing a reasonable job with what he was gifted at the start of this year, implementing some good foundational processes for our young group to improve upon.

If not, then you’re just coming from a place of genuine disdain and probably should reconsider why you even “support” this club.

You know as a science man that the experiment is far from over and we aren't even through the first season of observation.

I know that mate, but I also know when the reaction flask is filled, the heat is turned on and the reactants still remain dormant, then I am going to have to add a catalyst and/or a different blend of reactants. The chemists initial approach is incorrect.

We are nowhere near the stage where we can produce reasonable results and recommendations from the empirical data, because we simply lack enough data.

Okay, then you don't know what he is doing or if this is going to ultimately achieve anything. That's all you had to state mate.

If not, then you’re just coming from a place of genuine disdain and probably should reconsider why you even “support” this club.

He doesn't support the club.

The bloke;

1) Isn't a member
2) Doesn't attend games
3) Has harrassed/abused players
4) Has harrassed/abused coaches
5) Has harrassed/abused staff

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he's not a member is because the club cancelled his membership due to his antics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back