2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Followed the Footscray Park development with interest.
It looks like a fairly inner-city bit of public parkland, so on what planet would a privately owned organisation feel they could fence it off for their own private gain (developing players to sell off for a profit).

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Followed the Footscray Park development with interest.
It looks like a fairly inner-city bit of public parkland, so on what planet would a privately owned organisation feel they could fence it off for their own private gain (developing players to sell off for a profit).
That was NEVER going to get up!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A huge mistake in my book for the NZRU to sell 12,5% of it's assets/revenues
Private equity firms are asset strippers

PE certainly in it for the profits. Sometimes they are stranded, such as Archer Capital with Supercars (a deal struck by Gold Coast Chair Tony Cochrane who did 'very nicely' out out of it.

As for RU, its a strange beast:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It went a long way and looks like it was a very close run thing.
The other thing I didn't get: did the Victory have any sort of connection with the suburb?

The Western Bulldogs were gifted public land in Footscray in recent years, & the land is on their Balance Sheet but I've never delved into the detail.
Maybe the Victory thought it was a gravy train.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Western Bulldogs were gifted public land in Footscray in recent years, & the land is on their Balance Sheet but I've never delved into the detail.

1) Western bulldogs community club not a private franchise
2) Poorly utilised land adjacent to existing ground
3) Community club has 140 year continuous connection to existing ground
4) Business case contained substantive commitments to community access and programs

My recollection of the Victory thing is there was a last minute arrangement set up with a local girls club to have modest access at the last minute.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

In other words, the answer to my question is that the Victory does not have any substantive connection with the suburb, and they were asking the local council to allow them to fence off public parkland to run a privately owned commercial enterprise??
Umm...

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
I think you are talking about this.
"The Western Bulldogs have partnered with Maribyrnong City Council on a shared $3 million project to redevelop Skinner Reserve in Braybrook.
Skinner Reserve, an iconic western suburbs ground in close proximity (4 kms) to VU Whitten Oval, will become a secondary training base for the Bulldogs’ elite teams and a key facility to run its community programs".

I also think the Maribyrnong City Council still own the Western Oval and the FFC lease it from them.
The club in the past owned a number of houses opposite the ground which were used to house players.!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think you are talking about this.
"The Western Bulldogs have partnered with Maribyrnong City Council on a shared $3 million project to redevelop Skinner Reserve in Braybrook.
Skinner Reserve, an iconic western suburbs ground in close proximity (4 kms) to VU Whitten Oval, will become a secondary training base for the Bulldogs’ elite teams and a key facility to run its community programs".

I also think the Maribyrnong City Council still own the Western Oval and the FFC lease it from them.
The club in the past owned a number of houses opposite the ground which were used to house players.!

No.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
In other words, the answer to my question is that the Victory does not have any substantive connection with the suburb, and they were asking the local council to allow them to fence off public parkland to run a privately owned commercial enterprise??
Umm...
Absolutely correct.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
The RL started the weekend badly with only 7501 at the 83,000 Stadium Australia last night so the AFL should be very happy with the crowds they have been getting so far this covid interrupted season!

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Umm...
Absolutely correct.

Which the council agreed to until the dog walkers kicked up a fuss. It seems both parties where at blame and didn’t do the research or survey the constituents. fyi the club still has an agreement with the maribyrnong council if another suitable location is to be found.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The RL started the weekend badly with only 7501 at the 83,000 Stadium Australia last night so the AFL should be very happy with the crowds they have been getting so far this covid interrupted season!

Given what's been going on in Sydney it's not surprising. I wouldn't have thought the Giants will be setting any attendance records this weekend either.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Which the council agreed to until the dog walkers kicked up a fuss. It seems both parties where at blame and didn’t do the research or survey the constituents. fyi the club still has an agreement with the maribyrnong council if another suitable location is to be found.

I understand.
Someone else made the point that the bulldogs have been in the same spot for nearly 140 years, so they're part of the furniture so to speak, and most importantly, they remain a community owned club.
In the case of the Victory, a privately owned club, they're connection to that area is sort of next to zero, in the sense that they have no greater affinity with Footscray and environs than they have with the leafy suburbs of Hawthorn East.
At a guess, I imagine the good burgers of leafy Hawthorn East would have put the kybosh on such a proposal before it was even made.
But anything in the downtrodden, impoverished Western suburbs of Melbourne is fair game - so you can't blame the private owners of the Victory for giving the idea a whirl.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Lol - do you know what's happening here?!

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
These discussions have included an extension of the crown lease held by the Bulldogs over the balance of the VU Whitten Oval,

So when did the Maribyrnong City Council give up ownership of the ground to the State Govt?

I worked at the Western Oval in the past and the council actually totally ran game day and sent a cheque for the balance after costs to the club the following Thursday.

Oh and by the way if its a crown lease now FFC cannot sell it and its not an asset as it does not belong to them!Same as the MCG.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
These discussions have included an extension of the crown lease held by the Bulldogs over the balance of the VU Whitten Oval,

So when did the Maribyrnong City Council give up ownership of the ground to the State Govt?

I worked at the Western Oval in the past and the council actually totally ran game day and sent a cheque for the balance after costs to the club the following Thursday.

Oh and by the way if its a crown lease now FFC cannot sell it and its not an asset as it does not belong to them!Same as the MCG.
Big IF to draw that conclusion.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH M. Lynch 28.5.21

The A League clubs & TEN/Paramount wish to minimise their season being played concurrently with the AFL & NRL. They want clear air, to maximise their ratings, crowds, MSM coverage.

FA, however, legally sets the fixture dates- & it wants the A League to be played throughout winter, to maximise NPL & GR connections, & better pathways.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
SMH M. Lynch 28.5.21

The A League clubs & TEN/Paramount wish to minimise their season being paid concurrently with the AFL & NRL. They want clear air, to maximise their ratings.

FA, however, legally sets the fixture dates- & it wants the A League to be played throughout winter, to maximise NPL & GR connections, & pathways.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Paramount would sign a deal having no idea whatsoever of when the season will be played.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. J. Howcroft states, re the new A League Rights' deal, that, paraphrasing:-

. "A sizeable component of Viacom CBS's commitment will be delivered as contra...".

. Due to the larger contra, the A League is likely to have its highest profile since the intro. of WSW in 2012, "...to embed the game in the mainstream".
(The previous contra was c. 9m pa).

. Because Viacom has 2.5% equity for perpetuity, it will be "incentivised" much more to make the A League more successful.

. the A League also hopes to obtain c. $100m private equity funding- which will allow the A League to "re-boot" the competition.

. As the A League wants to maximise the no. of games played outside of the AFL & NRL season, but the FA opposes this, further ongoing conflict is expected.

. the adoption by the A League of a new streaming company- Paramount- may initially reduce the no. of A League viewers.

Evidence of the higher profile the A League will receive, the new deal was covered on TEN's high rating The Project program

2. A Swiss bank has admitted money- laundering US $36m bribes that were received by international soccer officials
It will pay a penalty of US $79.7m.

EDIT:

3. According to AusPlay data (which is a survey only, & is very unreliable- a person is counted as a "participant" even if they only play a sport once in the last 12 months), the % of persons playing netball, in the 20 years to 2020, has dropped from 4.5%- 2.9%. Total raw nos., however, are higher.

Skimpy nature of the dresses is given as a possible cause of the decline.

4. M. Turner says the A League may have short term pain- the inconvenience & expense of a new streaming service to access A League games.
Long term, however, soccer will likely be a long term beneficiary of the increasing move to streaming, because people under 49 y.o. are much more likely to adopt sports' streaming.
Also, it will be easier & cheaper to stream additional foreign soccer Leagues here- more Australians watching these games will, ultimately, assist in growth here of GR soccer, & the A League.

In contrast, cricket & the NRL have the lowest % of streamers, & attract a much older (49+) fan base, cf soccer.

In 2015, Roy Morgan analysis stated that cricket TV viewership peaks at "over 65": & RL TV "peaks at 50-64, followed closer by over 65".
Soccer TV viewers peak at "25-34, & 35-49".

VOZ, a new reporting service for streaming from OzTam, will launch soon- & thus provide details on the previously non-disclosed streaming nos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back