Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
What?

Who cares about last year...

Melbourne is at the top of the tree this year and the team that should be closely looked at...
Their defensive zone and attack are top notch...
  • We concede 5+ goal swings in 64% of the games Teague has coached...
  • We have conceded 100+ points in 43% of the full length games Teague has coached...
    6 this year and Melbourne has conceded 0
Think that makes Melbourne someone that we should look to emulate parts of their game plan...

And you and others picked the Demons rise?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
We all live in the now...
Picking the Demons rise is irrelevant, they are there now..
They are the best team in the competition now...

If we are to get anything out of their defensive zone, that we can use we need to do it now..
The 5+ goal swings and the conceding 100+ points in a game have to stop now..

Live in the now is so tedious

What is the next team on the rise..

Yep Liddle appointment.

Incidentally Liddle came end of 2017

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Yup... Liddle arrived, Neil Craig left... Liddle appointed Barker as the new head of high performance and strategy. 2018, we finished last winning a massive 2 games with our players, a lot of the time, failing to run out games and fading out in the last quarter.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, last year no one was saying the Saints rise was a false dawn.

Now everyone here is crediting the rise of the Swans and Demons on assistants, which again is fraudulent analysis

We even had a poster claiming the rise of the Lions was in part due to having premiership experience in the coaching ranks, when in actual fact they are part of the AFLW program. Their AFL side have an array of non AFL playing experience

So the question remains, how would anyone here know the effectiveness of any assistant, league wide
I think I can understand where you are coming from here, but I would like to ask you - if a team shows little heart, is mentally weak, won't often chase, can barely tackle, constantly slip over and take shots from 35m out and still can't make the distance, then are the coaches really doing a good job? What exactly are they "coaching"?

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, last year no one was saying the Saints rise was a false dawn.

Now everyone here is crediting the rise of the Swans and Demons on assistants, which again is fraudulent analysis

We even had a poster claiming the rise of the Lions was in part due to having premiership experience in the coaching ranks, when in actual fact they are part of the AFLW program. Their AFL side have an array of non AFL playing experience

So the question remains, how would anyone here know the effectiveness of any assistant, league wide
In a sense I think you're right, all we can do from the outside is take an educated guess at the performance of any one individual on the coaching team, cannot know with certainty.

However, results at Carlton over 24 months with the current coaching team (not the development guys) would strongly suggest that some aspects of our coaching are not up to standard, it's not just the W/L but the obvious and repeated game day blunders. The only other option is that the playing group collectively aren't up to it, i.e. not up to finals standard.

So, can I put you on the spot (sorry, but genuinely value your opinion). You are in charge of the coaching team. Are you replacing one or more coaches at year end? Yes or no.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Think, Leppitsch would be a poor choice as Head Coach...
Feel he is in the same boat as Teague, great assistant but poor Head Coach...

Voss will never coach here, he didn't even get invited back to a second interview, it was apparently that poor...
Lyon would be a poor choice as well, too defensive

Caracella or Mitchell, would interest me, out of the new coaches and of course a Clarkson or a Simpson..
Yeah I'd only go leppitsch as a senior assistant.

Mitchell would be ideal.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Midfield and forward line defensive structures are failing badly so we need to bring in some defensively minded people to cover here.

The issue could be if the senior coach doesn't want to go this way.

Our quick scores against, letting leads go and lack of pressure rating is less about player effort and more about player positioning.

Opposition players allowed to be too far away from their opponents to begin with and allowed too much space to work in and allowed to use handball and switches of play to open up the game etc.

Teague will coach himself out of a job if he doesn't address this or listen to new people coming into help.

We are easy to play against because we let our opposition play lose and have time and space and release the pressure. We try and score heavily but we don't because a good defence always wins over what we are trying to do.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
In a sense I think you're right, all we can do from the outside is take an educated guess at the performance of any one individual on the coaching team, cannot know with certainty.

However, results at Carlton over 24 months with the current coaching team (not the development guys) would strongly suggest that some aspects of our coaching are not up to standard, it's not just the W/L but the obvious and repeated game day blunders. The only other option is that the playing group collectively aren't up to it, i.e. not up to finals standard.

So, can I put you on the spot (sorry, but genuinely value your opinion). You are in charge of the coaching team. Are you replacing one or more coaches at year end? Yes or no.

If I was Lloyd?

Not as easy as a straight out yes or no. Couple areas you need to drill down

First point of call would be to ask, is this gameplan sustainable and or for the playing list we have. My answer would be, no, it isn't.

If Teague insists it is and does want to make tweaks, changing every assistant will mean little, so unfortunately I would move Teague on

If Teague is open to tweaking the gameplan, he needs to work closely with Lloyd to determine the right skillset of the assistants and make changes accordingly

Having said that, fresh faces and voices would give players something different to work through, but that would be a temporary placebo if the current gameplan remains

As for needing finals experience in the coaches box, that's a fallacy, evident by the Lions coaching group

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Umm, not 100% true...
Chris Fagan (Head Coach) - Clarksons right hand man during Hawthorns 4 Premierships
Mark Stone (Strategy) - Midfield coach 2006 Westcoast Premiership

You could argue that Brisbane have the best coaching group of all...
Most have backgrounds in school teaching, which would be fantastic for player development

Let me clarify this a little

People were claiming that we need coaches that have either coached or played in flags, to be decent coaches, that's the fallacy

Like Clarkson never played in a flag, prior to winning them as a coach

It's always about the list

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough...
Clarkson was Port Adelaide's 2004 Premiership midfield coach, before he went to Hawthorn..
Head Coach and assistant coaches from elite environments are desirable and a major plus though...

How do we expect to have an elite environment and expect players to listen to coaches that have never done what they are teaching?

Agree certainly list plays a large part...

But how do you explain our top 4-8 potential list that sits at 13 on the ladder again?

Pagan was never in that environment nor was Paul Roos, it really is a fallacy

I posted that I believed we could achieve 10 -13 wins, we were never a contender for top 4

I don't think this side is that far off, but the gameplan is a detriment to output

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Pagan & Roos both played in an elite environment at times and both played in a grand final...

At start of the year.. I didn't think we would make the 8 this year either, maybe scrape into 8th...
But as the season has progressed, we have been in front in most games and thrown it away, we should be well and truly in the 8...

It's the players talent keeping us in these games and the coaching game plan ripping us out of it..

But the game plan isn't Teague's fault, get rid off the assistants as its all their fault...

BTW...
100% agree with your statements below, but have 0% faith that Carlton will ask that...

"First point of call would be to ask, is this gameplan sustainable and or for the playing list we have. My answer would be, no, it isn't.

If Teague insists it is and does want to make tweaks, changing every assistant will mean little, so unfortunately I would move Teague on

If Teague is open to tweaking the gameplan, he needs to work closely with Lloyd to determine the right skillset of the assistants and make changes accordingly"
Sounds like we all agree, the game plan is killing us on a regular basis. However, it sure does seem the coaching team are stubbornly wedded to it. If it had worked occasionally this year I could see the attraction, but honestly, it just hasn't.

If I was Lloyd I'd now be telling the coaching team (not just Teague): Modify the plan to create something sustainable. Take the focus off the W/L. Find the tweaks that get us that goal or two of improvement each week. We need two or three of these. We aren't that far away.

At the same time, know what the KPIs are that will keep these coaches on the books and let them know what is generally expected. They have 11 weeks each to audition for next year. Fair.

At the end of the year, make the changes - whoever has to go, has to go. If its Teague, fine. Put optics aside. Make the right call.

Last edited:
We should sound out Joel Selwood for a coaching role. Most of our coaches last experienced success the best part of 20 years ago.

Selwood is a passionate person and great communicator. He could teach our boys plenty.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
We should sound out Joel Selwood for a coaching role. Most of our coaches last experienced success the best part of 20 years ago.

Selwood is a passionate person and great communicator. He could teach our boys plenty.
While I would love him at the club, Tim Clarke has had enormous success with our midfield group this year. I'm not sure where else Joel would be able to help out but even as a 2nd in command type or transition work getting his IP and leadership at the football club would be fantastic.

Did he retire?
If so, we should absolutely talk to him and Eddie Betts... Hope we try and convince Nigel Lappin again as well..

Wonder if Betts likes the coaching side, he would be great in our list management team, has a great skill of recruiting/convincing players...

Did he retire?
If so, we should absolutely talk to him and Eddie Betts... Hope we try and convince Nigel Lappin again as well..

Wonder if Betts likes the coaching side, he would be great in our list management team, has a great skill of recruiting/convincing players...

He hasn't officially retired but going by his tears, Hawkins' tears when hugging him (twice) and his family's tears when he goaled and when he was speaking, it seems likely.

Back