Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill spew if this bloke gets picked off by another club.
Clearly we have developed him really well and letting him go for some crap compo pick would sting hard.
Brad Ottens vibes.
It's ****ed. We do all the development and a shittruck team like Norf who can't develop OR attract any talent can literally wave a mil under his nose and poach him. Hoping his manager gets in his ear like Carr did with Dusty about the benefits of playing for a big club.

It's f’ed. We do all the development and a shittruck team like Norf who can't develop OR attract any talent can literally wave a mil under his nose and poach him. Hoping his manager gets in his ear like Carr did with Dusty about the benefits of playing for a big club.
Same with fold coast and markov

I know it doesn't suit our game plan but I'd like to see CCJ, Lynch and JR all on the paddock together
F@$k our game plan! It's clearly not working. If ya don't change and evolve ya go backwards. Id love to see us play 3 talls up forward every week and stretch Oppo defences cos someone will get a mismatch and dine out. Id love to see either Lynch or Coleman glued to the goal square under instructions not to leave with a crumbling midget (M.J.R/ D.R/Stack/Naish... any) plonked 30m out and kick it in long and fast via Dusty/ Short/ Houli/ Balta/ Ralph Smith/ anyone with a decent hoof to the tall forward in the square or their lead and what they don't mark the midget can crumb. I dare the Oppo defenders to leave them unattended. We can change the game again. Tired of seeing 18 players up one end and our tall forwards wasting their legs on pointless running.

Ill spew if this bloke gets picked off by another club.
Clearly we have developed him really well and letting him go for some crap compo pick would sting hard.
Brad Ottens vibes.
I think too many on here are proclaiming CJ as a lock going forward. Sorry I see him as a bit of a dinosaur but want to give credit where it's due. He was important in the Adelaide game and needs to be given his chance to make his mark.

We'll not let him go for a crap compo pick, especially if he performs. If a club like GCS offers up a satisfactory trade you'd consider it.

I think too many on here are proclaiming CJ as a lock going forward. Sorry I see him as a bit of a dinosaur but want to give credit where it's due. He was important in the Adelaide game and needs to be given his chance to make his mark.

We'll not let him go for a crap compo pick, especially if he performs. If a club like GCS offers up a satisfactory trade you'd consider it.

Good post. I fully support Coleman-Jones’ selection and enjoyed his game today.

Like you Sregit, I wouldn’t get too excited based on that effort. I thought he had a very poor first term, losing some critical and costly contests. Also thought his agility was a bit poor post marking contests and on the ground. Had a great purple patch in the middle quarters which went a long way to putting us on top. It must also be remembered in his dominant period his opponent was 193cm 20yo Nick Murray, who to be honest would be about the easiest assignment an AFL key forward could get right at the moment. I think Murray was moved off him onto Riewoldt in the final term and we saw the result of that contest.

Even so, CCJ had a really good game in the end, and hopefully draws confidence from the performance. I loved seeing him jumping for his marks, and converting the shots he got. 😁

Good post. I fully support Coleman-Jones’ selection and enjoyed his game today.

Like you Sregit, I wouldn’t get too excited based on that effort. I thought he had a very poor first term, losing some critical and costly contests. Also thought his agility was a bit poor post marking contests and on the ground. Had a great purple patch in the middle quarters which went a long way to putting us on top. It must also be remembered in his dominant period his opponent was 193cm 20yo Nick Murray, who to be honest would be about the easiest assignment an AFL key forward could get right at the moment. I think Murray was moved off him onto Riewoldt in the final term and we saw the result of that contest.

Even so, CCJ had a really good game in the end, and hopefully draws confidence from the performance. I loved seeing him jumping for his marks, and converting the shots he got. 😁

thats the point though. Rarely a team has 3 gun defenders, someone is going to lick the icecream. Much better than the double teaming we have been witnessing all year against lynch and jack

Today's game now works with a 3 tall foward line
Dimma has been trying to avoid this due to struggling to work out the other 3 criteria's he has would work

1. 3 small pressure fowards to maintain foward pressure
2. Dusty playing foward scenario , How the 3rd tall impacts Dusty time up foward
3. Losing the extra runner thats integral to the game plan

But there is no doubt that 3 talls create problems for the opposition

West Coast have played with 3 talls for a few years now and works well but their game style is not dependant on running pressure but more on accuracy with maintaining possessions and precise ball movement.

Its now upto the coaches to make it work and to evolve our game style to take advantage of the new rules
but 1 thing is for certain is that our kicking going into the foward 50 needs to improve and become more precise and calculated

Today's game now works with a 3 tall foward line
Dimma has been trying to avoid this due to struggling to work out the other 3 criteria's he has would work

1. 3 small pressure fowards to maintain foward pressure
2. Dusty playing foward scenario , How the 3rd tall impacts Dusty time up foward
3. Losing the extra runner thats integral to the game plan

But there is no doubt that 3 talls create problems for the opposition

West Coast have played with 3 talls for a few years now and works well but their game style is not dependant on running pressure but more on accuracy with maintaining possessions and precise ball movement.

Its now upto the coaches to make it work and to evolve our game style to take advantage of the new rules
but 1 thing is for certain is that our kicking going into the foward 50 needs to improve and become more precise and calculated

We basically adopted West Coast whole game style yesterday, another thing that obviously assisted our key forwards. We had a massive 132 uncontested marks to Crows only 39. We went inside 50 only 48 times, Crows 50 times. We had 260 uncontested possessions v Crows 167. We basically played the Eagles chip kick game whereas the Crows played our terrain game…..

To be a truly great team I suppose you have to be able to adopt different styles of play according to needs, but it will be interesting to see what style of game we use against the Bombers, who are another team who play in the “Richmond” style.

Last edited:
thats the point though. Rarely a team has 3 gun defenders, someone is going to lick the icecream. Much better than the double teaming we have been witnessing all year against lynch and jack

Most teams have two true key defenders and a third marking tall who takes intercept marks. So for us Astbury and Balta are the true key position defenders and Grimes the third tall who intercepts.

Demons now would have May and Petty with Lever acting as the 3rd tall interceptor. Petty, who would take the 2nd KPF is 21yo but 197cm and would match up fine on a Coleman-Jones.

Bulldogs would have Keath, Cordy then Wood as the 3rd tall interceptor.

Some teams would be set up a bit differently. But I think Crows had 21yo 198cm 12 gamer Butts stationed on Riewoldt to start. He has remarkably held up really well this year. 20yo undersized 5 gamer Murray took CC-J. And the interceptor was 187cm(shorter than Vlastuin, way shorter than Grimes) 41 game veteran Tom Doedee. As good as Butts and Doedee have been this season, that second tall key defence post is a massive weakness in the Crows setup that most teams don’t have and that is what you saw first Coleman-Jones and then Riewoldt exploit ruthlessly yesterday.

The Eagles 3 matches back adopted a similar style to our game plan yesterday against a similarly undermanned backline. Their three tall forwards Kennedy, Darling, and Allen combined for 11 goals 3 behinds. Yesterday our three tall forwards Riewoldt, CC-J and Chol kicked an identical 11 goals 3 behinds v the same defence and like the Eagles we won by about 5 goals. We have subsequently seen the Eagles unexpectedly well beaten by both the Giants and Bombers. So there are some concerns…

Anyway, whilst I agree that rarely teams have three gun tall defenders, many teams definitely have 3 mature, experienced, competitive marking defenders. Adelaide didn’t. Bombers are probably also a bit shaky and undersized back there. But after that we play the Eagles with Barass and probably McGovern.

This.

And for the record, all the fan boys who tied their flag to the Rioli mast and attacked other posters for their opinions on the basid that their changes were unorthodox, you have alot to answer for.

It's an opinion based forum. I'm no Rioli lover, but mate, slow down a bit hey?

In 2017, Hardwick bit the bullet (with Leppa's encouragement) and picked a forward line that played to our strengths, an in-form, manic small brigade and one key forward.
A dynasty was born.
In 2021, our forward strength now looks like being our talls (both young and old).
It might just give us the extra impetus we need to continue the dynasty.

In 2017, Hardwick bit the bullet (with Leppa's encouragement) and picked a forward line that played to our strengths, an in-form, manic small brigade and one key forward.
A dynasty was born.
In 2021, our forward strength now looks like being our talls (both young and old).

Put Lynch CHF, JR and CCJ deep with Shai resting amongst others and Dusty/Edwards and others on the flank and thats and all round dangerous as f.. forward line CCJ going into ruck and Lynch going back deep at times, all bases covered. Time to focus on defence and midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did like the look of pushing Jack further up the ground where he uses the ball so well and having CCJ and Chol/Nank deep. Jack had a field day on hos opponent and losing them while moving back into space....but their is an elephant in the room - Dusty. Dusty plays his best footy as our third forward where we can isolate him deep. With three talls, this doesn't work and it was evident today with Dusty having a quite game. I for one, don't see a problem leaving him in the CHF position because his footskills finding targets in the F50 are sublime but it is a string to our bow we may find much more difficult to exploit with three talls.

The new kickin rules make it increasingly difficult to hold the ball in your F50 so pressure small forwards role has become increasingly difficult. I don't think we need two defensive smalls any longer. I would prefer to see CCJ rather than a Rioli & George. What this does do though it make the midfielders job more of a challenge as teams will cut through the center more often without fear or pressure from their lumbering opponents.

I loved the look of CCJ (especially that kick from the boundary - WOW!!!) but want to see how it works over the next few weeks before confidently heralding a new star to our lineup. Regardless, this game would have given him great confidence and I'm looking forward to him grasping his opportunity with both hands.

Would be absolutely gutted if we do lose him but at least with a lot of clubs in dire need of key position forwards he will demand a premium in a trade

Bloody criminal he has been rotting in the twos while George and Daniel get gifted games

You are aware that defensive small forward is a different role to KPF/ruck yeah?

FMD people really have warped expectations of a 21 year old KPP in the AFL.

Can't believe a quiet first quarter by a 2nd gamer who hasn't played AFL for 2 years is being scutinised - I've seen it all now.

If you are referring to me I have two things to say in my defence. 😁

His first quarter wasn’t just quiet it was poor. He allowed Walker to take the ball from the ruck and snap a goal, and I thought he was poor in contests that ended in at least 3 goals to the Crows in the first term. He looked a bit lost and slow to react.

Also I don’t think anyone is hanging him for it, as you rightly point out, he is a second gamer and it takes time to adjust. Hardwick pointed out in the post match press conference he has some areas to work on.

I think we are just saying what we saw. Not like we made it up. It was a pleasing performance overall, but you can see he is not world’s best practice as an AFL key forward at this point. Neither would you expect it. I am confident he will improve on that performance, though obviously won’t necessarily kick more goals too often. As the match went on I liked some of his pack crashing in hotspot marking contests where he didn’t mark the ball.

Yes exactly. It is less about CCJ and more about freeing up all our talls in the forward line + Nankervis. As we saw yesterday, the opposition could not just put 2-3 tall defenders on Riewoldt because CCJ and Chol warranted enough attention. Leave Riewoldt with only one man on him and he’ll tear them to shreds. Bring in Lynch, Riewoldt and CCJ in that forward line and we’ll probably start seeing Lynch and Riewoldt play like they did in the last couple of years more often.

Tbh though, it is CCJ’s second game at AFL level so anyone expecting him to be as seasoned as Riewoldt or Lynch needs to adjust their expectations

A dynasty was born.

Yes our forward line was born as much out of necessity as design. To try and pretend it's still 2017 would be the height of folly. The rules have changed and we only have two of our three small pressure forwards and they aint much chop anymore. Having asked for weeks where will our goals will come from we get an emphatic answer yesterday.

The bottom line is that you have to work with the tools you have, and if that requires a change of game plan or team structure then so be it. Or as it was once so famously put, The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Most definitely a FF and very PT ruck, his ruckwork is nothing to write home about , lacks leap but unlike nank he doesn’t get in there like a mid and win some contested . Has the hallmarks of a bloody good forward with those steel trap hands that just go clunk , that neat chip over the top was it to shai was clever. Reckon cholly is a good sec ruck, he has a leap and makes the oppo think as he has a completely contrasting style to nank

A dynasty was born.

agree. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet play to your strengths. We once had the best small forwards now its not looking great but tall forwards we look way more potent

Especially against sides that play 3 talls down back, we get smashed in the forward line. Look at the Dees. Tomlinson, May and Lever all smashed us.

I was talking today to a very reliable source, and they made comment that he's probably leaving Richmond at the end of the year.

Reading between the lines, it sounded like Adelaide. But they didn't outright say that and it's me jumping to a conclusion.

So I wonder, is he out of contract?
If not, what wouldit take to dislodge him from Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back