UEFA EURO 2020 (Italy Champions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just bad timing for TAA. Others going better than him the last 6 months. If he puts together a full season at his best he’ll be back for Qatar. The funny thing is for all the debate around right back, if Southgate plays four at the back Walker is probably playing 90 minutes in anything that’s not a dead rubber.

Good sign for the team though. For all the talk about England each tournament, this is the first time in a long time they’ll have to leave out some genuinely quality players.

If true, incredible luxury for England to leave him sitting on the tarmac given what he's achieved over the last 3 years.
  • PFA TotY x2
  • FIFPro World XI x2
  • UEFA team of the year x1
  • Premier League Young PotY x1
  • League winner and European cup winner + runner up (key player in both)
  • second most assists of any English player (behind Jadon Sancho)
Had a rough patch in the middle third of this season during our losing streak, but finished strongly and was arguably our best player during the final 10 games when we snatched CL qualification.

Good luck to Southgate, must be an unbelievably talented team he's taking!
All awards given with no consideration to defending. He's a right sided midfielder and he's not going to have the luxury in the England team to be playing along the line with Kane.

Leaving this guy at home for Kalvin Phillips is nuts!

They don’t even remotely play the same position.

The only DLP in the England squad is Phillips.

Yeah edited my post as i forgot him. I like a team picked on merit not what they did a season back.

It's basically just the middle third of this season where he dropped off (as did most of our team) after a 2 year run as arguably the best right back in the game. Last 10 games he has been back to his best. The runs are on the board.

I agree with moomba, I would have thought that unique skillset and point of difference from the other 3 as one of the most prolific playmakers and chance creators in the game would have at least got him a seat on the plane. Clearly he’s not in Southgate’s plans for the starting XI, but who would you prefer to have coming off the bench?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TAA must be there as an attacking option if required. Would assume if they play a back 5 or anything happens to Walker either James or Trippier starts. 26 man squad meant they could always take a few players who will only realistically play in very specific scenarios, if at all.

I think it's probably the versatility offered by all the right backs.
Trent can probably play midfield as well, James can play midfield or in a back 3, Trippier can apparently play left back if required?, Walker is extra goalkeeper cover, etc.

You're wrong.

Am I? who else plays that role at their club side in that England setup? They are all #8's or #10's.

Rice is the closest one and he plays as a pure DM infront of a back 4. It's also why they haven't really worked together when played next to each other.

Phillips plays only as a regista for Leeds, with two #8's infront of him.

Southgate names four right backs and five midfielders. ******* genius!
Bit of a cop out to say JWP. To avoid controversy of leaving a RB at home he's picked on because he also can play midfield... ahead of picking a midfielder.

So by following Southgate comments…

"Basically they are in the best 26 footballers and that is why they are in the squad. If I could have picked five or six right-backs I would have done.”

….if a dozen right backs were considered by him to be in best 26 he would’ve named a dozen right backs? Find that odd and flies in the face of what a squad should be.

Am I? who else plays that role at their club side in that England setup? They are all #8's or #10's.

Rice is the closest one and he plays as a pure DM infront of a back 4. It's also why they haven't really worked together when played next to each other.

England don't play with a regista

Henderson is the nearest. He picks the ball up deep and can ping it to the wings, make a short pass or join in the attack.

Leeds tactics make Phillips look good. They push 5 or 6 men into the attack giving him a heap of space to make his passes. The downside of that tactic is that Leeds conceded more goals than Fulham who were relegated.

A pure DLP needs to be world class in terms of creativity and passing, to make up for their lack of defensive responsibilities. Phillips isn't anywhere near world class in any aspect of the game. When he has played for England he has passed the ball backwards more than forwards and has broken up promising moves rather than assist them. He is positionally naive and a dud anywhere near the final third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back