Past #34: Charlie Ham - picked at #16 in '21 MSD - delisted end '21 - thanks Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Climb aboard the "Chuck" wagon.

I hope he turns out better than his * brother.

Charlie Ham - The Steamed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He runs a 3.12second 20m sprint and doesn't have a great leap on him. I'm not sure where the athleticism comments are coming from but that's certainly not a strength. He works hard and his endurance is solid which enables him to work and find the ball. He did test solidly agility too but his agility is not something that is particularly noticeable when you watch him.

His biggest strength is his ability to find the ball in the defensive half and work up to the wing to link up. If he can improve his decision making and work on being a more precise kick then he could end up a player.

If you want an optimistic comparison, I'd suggest he's similar to a left footed version of Jayden Short. Same kicking depth/distance but without the accuracy and decision making that Short has.
Finding the ball? Sold!

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/950852/mid-season-draft-north-selects-charlie-ham

Charlie Ham
180cm, 74kg
Geelong Falcons

With its second selection in the NAB Mid-Season Rookie Draft, North Melbourne selected Charlie Ham.

An athletic small-defender with the Geelong Falcons, Ham’s clean hands and endurance make him the ideal candidate to lead attacks from the back flank.

North list manager, Glenn Luff, said Ham is deserving of a spot.

“We are really pleased to bring in a player of Charlie’s quality. We believe his assets: running capacity and ability to hit targets - long and short by foot - suit where the game is going and fills a need in our team,” Luff said.

“After the disappointment of missing out in the 2020 National Draft, Charlie has demonstrated a determination and work ethic to get himself into a position where he could be considered in this draft.

“He will add a different dimension to our back half and we look forward to his development under the guidance of defensive coach John Blakey, and experienced campaigners in Robbie Tarrant, Aidan Corr and Luke McDonald.”

Operating at an elite 90.9 per cent disposal efficiency by hand through his bottom age NAB League season, Ham is a smart and evasive player.

Ahead of the 2020 NAB AFL Draft he scored and 8.1 second agility test and 21.1 yo-yo test, with both scores ranking as elite.

That stuff can be learned unless his biomechanics are all off kilter.
I will debate that comment until im blue.. that stuff needs to be taught or is intrinsic at a very youthful age.. its kind of like walking. But if you can show me someone who became a “better” kick after they were drafted then I will listen. If he wins the ball, can distribute at 65% clean (not effective) then I am cool.. doesnt matter. He looks like he can play and thats what I like.

Charlie Ham
180cm, 74kg
Geelong Falcons

With its second selection in the NAB Mid-Season Rookie Draft, North Melbourne selected Charlie Ham.

An athletic small-defender with the Geelong Falcons, Ham’s clean hands and endurance make him the ideal candidate to lead attacks from the back flank.

“We are really pleased to bring in a player of Charlie’s quality. We believe his assets: running capacity and ability to hit targets - long and short by foot - suit where the game is going and fills a need in our team,” Luff said.

“After the disappointment of missing out in the 2020 National Draft, Charlie has demonstrated a determination and work ethic to get himself into a position where he could be considered in this draft.

“He will add a different dimension to our back half and we look forward to his development under the guidance of defensive coach John Blakey, and experienced campaigners in Robbie Tarrant, Aidan Corr and Luke McDonald.”

Operating at an elite 90.9 per cent disposal efficiency by hand through his bottom age NAB League season, Ham is a smart and evasive player.

Ahead of the 2020 NAB AFL Draft he scored and 8.1 second agility test and 21.1 yo-yo test, with both scores ranking as elite.

With that write up he’d have almost gone pick 1, Mayo?

Charlie Ham
180cm, 74kg
Geelong Falcons

Ham>Atley

I will debate that comment until im blue.. that stuff needs to be taught or is intrinsic at a very youthful age.. its kind of like walking. But if you can show me someone who became a “better” kick after they were drafted then I will listen. If he wins the ball, can distribute at 65% clean (not effective) then I am cool.. doesnt matter. He looks like he can play and thats what I like.

Accuracy & decision making are complimentary factors mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luffy mustn't read bigfooty. His career is doomed.

His kicking accuracy is actually 75% this year which is quite good. I'll watch back his games from this year and give a better report on here.

As I said earlier, I've been tracking him this year and haven't been impressed due to finding him quite vanilla. Maybe watching him with North colour glasses will help me view him in a much more optimistic light - I'll try not to be stupidly bias.

Don't mind his scope for development - for the record, I definitely prefer him to Callow.

Last edited:
Mason Cox learned to be a very good set shot kick late in life, so much so he is a better set shot than Levi Casboult, Jack Ziebel and Joe Daniher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back