Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a rabid Sturt supporter who would be apoplectic with rage right now at losing a player to ******* port power!!!
That's good enough for me
Welcome to the club lad

I know I'll be having fun tomorrow winding up my boss and his son who are rabid Sturt men.

Payback for Kirkwood ...

I know a rabid Sturt supporter who would be apoplectic with rage right now at losing a player to ******* port power!!!
Welcome to the club lad

Just a reminder to Sturt and every other SANFL club they are feeder clubs to Port Adelaide and every other AFL club and if you don't like it tough.

Luckily he'll only have to sit out one SANFL game as we only play Sturt once this year for some reason. A bit precious by the "second best league" semi-pros.

That is ridiculous, he's not on loan he is now a Port Adelaide player do they honestly think one player will make a difference?

Welcome to the club lad

They lost another one to Collingwood as well, tee hee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

176cm 76kg midfielder doesn't fill me with a heap of confidence... Anyone know how he plays?

Unless he is a ball magnet with sublime skills and speed, those height & weight numbers don't stack up in AFL unfortunately.

However, Ken says he is the perfect full forward 1 on 1 with long bomb kicks on top of his head.

Im thinking of starting a rumour that Port Powa picked him just to play for Magpies and intentionally hobble Sturt.
Chris Davis’ press conference:

— There’s been rumours on the Power picking him just to play for the Magpies and intentionally hobble Sturt. What do you have to say about it?

That’s part of it. Yes. [short pause] We want to win everything, and we believe bringing Jed into the club helps us with that.

Next question, please.

Just a reminder to Sturt and every other SANFL club they are feeder clubs to Port Adelaide and every other AFL club and if you don't like it tough.

It’s the circle of life. We feed them back with our leftovers. There’s always a balance. We all help each other.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can play a role similar to Jake Arts at Richmond similar height ?

Nice 2019 pre-draft article on Jed .. Have to feel for these lads that have a lot of footy pedigree and look likely to get drafted - then only to miss out. Last paragraph tells the story!

Shy off-field but a work horse on it - Sturt rising star Jed McEntee puts himself on AFL clubs’ radar

Jed McEntee reckons he’s a pretty shy guy who just likes to put his head down and work hard. But on the football field this Sturt AFL draft prospect hates being beaten and will do everything he can to hunt and win the ball, tackling every opponent in sight.
Double Blues talent manager Michael Higgs says the 18-year-old midfielder’s defensive pressure is his main strength and McEntee says it has always come naturally.

That showed after McEntee proved to be one of SA’s best-performing midfielders defensively at the under-18 national carnival and helped get him an invite to last month’s state draft combine. McEntee recorded the second-best time in the agility test at the state combine (7.91sec) and laid five tackles or more in 10 of his 13 reserves matches for Sturt.

It is also why the softly-spoken, 176cm on-baller is on the radar of a few AFL clubs ahead of this month’s national and rookie drafts. “I’m a shy, very honest person as well as dedicated and hardworking,” McEntee, of Netherby, says. “But on the footy field I pride myself on my attack on the ball and my tackling. I think that’s more mentality than anything – you can't really work on that. I think it’s just how you go at the ball and your mindset in every game and trainings.”

The former Mercedes College student’s love for footy began at a young age. His parents, Mike and Deb, got him involved in Auskick when he was five – and he loved the football in the backyard with brothers Mitchell, now 20, Kobe, 14.

McEntee played all four matches at the national championships, averaging 15 disposals, six ground ball gets, four score involvements.

He credits SA coach Tony Bamford with his development: “He was really good for me … he tried to get me out of my comfort zone. To be able to go over to different states and play footy at AFL grounds with a good group of guys was amazing.”

He says it will mean everything to not only himself but also his family should an AFL club take a punt on him: “I am starting to get a bit nervous, and I think I will be very nervous the week of the draft. “My parents have also done a lot to help me get to this point so it would be a very proud moment.”

Some Draft Central scouting notes I could find on some of Jed’s SANFL games last year. Not hard to see where his strength lies …

#17 Jed McEntee

Not as prolific as past weeks, but just so strong around the stoppages. He made a few mistakes – such as being pinged for holding the ball or dropping a mark – but his effort was there throughout four quarters. His strength when being tackled sees him often getting his hands free, and his tackling pressure itself is a feature of his game. In a tight match, his equal game-high 10 tackles were superb. A low bullet pass to half-forward in the third term was also eye-catching.

#17 Jed McEntee
Just a really hard-working effort by the over-ager who plied his typical fierce tackling game to good effect. He would use the ball quickly down the wing early in the game, got a second kick at half-forward, and then cleaned up in the pocket after trying to assist for another touch. He would win the ball in close and get ball to boot quickly, and then hit the scoreboard himself on the end of an end-to-end play by the Double Blues, marking uncontested in the goalsquare and kicking a major from 20 metres out straight in front in the 19th minute of the third term. In the last quarter with the game on the line, McEntee worked back into defence to provide some support and settle the team down.

#17 Jed McEntee
Just a really hard-working effort by the over-ager who plied his typical fierce tackling game to good effect. He would use the ball quickly down the wing early in the game, got a second kick at half-forward, and then cleaned up in the pocket after trying to assist for another touch. He would win the ball in close and get ball to boot quickly, and then hit the scoreboard himself on the end of an end-to-end play by the Double Blues, marking uncontested in the goalsquare and kicking a major from 20 metres out straight in front in the 19th minute of the third term. In the last quarter with the game on the line, McEntee worked back into defence to provide some support and settle the team down.

#17 Jed McEntee
Sturt will have been wrapped with the early season performances of young Jed McEntee, who certainly doesn’t appear to be shy of a tackle. McEntee has provided plenty of defensive pressure, averaging 5.3 tackles per match.

#17 Jed McEntee
McEntee, a member of SA’s 2019 National Championship side, laid a game-high ten tackles to demonstrate his toughness and excellent defensive pressure.

#17 Jed McEntee
Another who impressed from a young guns perspective was former South Australian Under 18s representatives in Jed McEntee for Sturt. McEntee was strong in midfield, and whilst at times his disposal could be inconsistent, his defensive work and work rate were terrific, laying nine tackles from 10 touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back