"Goddess"
45 mirkov.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Just saying - but one Justin H Madden was like a baby giraffe, played 330+ games and was 4cm shorter than Smirnov. This kid gets around the ground well, has very good physical attributes (esp in the shoulders), just needs to stop, listen and learn and we could have a bottler (Smirnov). Volleyballers, especially outside hitters and middle blockers like Alex have exceptional jumping and timing, repeat efforts, strength through the core, deft touch mixed with immense power. I’m honestly really encouraged by this pick. TDK took a bit, let’s give this kid a chance too.
I don't know much about volleyball, but I am surprised by your suggestion that the physical requirements of VB are so high. I would have thought that afl would be far more demanding, especially since VB is an amateur sport. I stand to be corrected though as I know very little about VB.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Volleyballers, especially outside hitters and middle blockers like Alex have exceptional jumping and timing, repeat efforts, strength through the core, deft touch mixed with immense power. I’m honestly really encouraged by this pick. TDK took a bit, let’s give this kid a chance too.
Blaine Bloekhorst should have been tried in the ruck!

anyway good luck Alex, stand tall!

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just saying - but one Justin H Madden was like a baby giraffe, played 330+ games and was 4cm shorter than Smirnov. This kid gets around the ground well, has very good physical attributes (esp in the shoulders), just needs to stop, listen and learn and we could have a bottler (Smirnov). Volleyballers, especially outside hitters and middle blockers like Alex have exceptional jumping and timing, repeat efforts, strength through the core, deft touch mixed with immense power. I’m honestly really encouraged by this pick. TDK took a bit, let’s give this kid a chance too.
While what you say of VB is true, there are 6 guys covering 100m2. The aerobic requirements are virtually nil.

Will be interesting to see what his around the ground game can develop into. Just remember it took Gawn 6 years to play decent footy (Alex has had 3years of filling out).

If he could transfer the best part of volleyball - the headshot, just once on Trent Cotchin, then the selection will be worthwhile. Examples below

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton

We needed a developing ruck and now have him, so he has time.
It's interesting his highlights are purely tap work, in which he looks like he can apply very well. Decent leap on his as well, which as you say you would expect.
I guess the development and improvement will need to be around general marking, contested work and forward play. Plenty to work with, so let's see if we can develop the kid - over to you Humphrey!!!

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
While what you say of VB is true, there are 6 guys covering 100m2. The aerobic requirements are virtually nil.

Will be interesting to see what his around the ground game can develop into. Just remember it took Gawn 6 years to play decent footy (Alex has had 3years of filling out).

If he could transfer the best part of volleyball - the headshot, just once on Trent Cotchin, then the selection will be worthwhile. Examples below

That Hairy Gary looking fella in the yellow is a weapon. :tearsofjoy:

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Don’t forget that Justin Madden came to our club as a 21/22 year old with 40 odd games to his name with Essendon - and in his first 2 seasons with us he was pretty ordinary- until his 85 season where he nearly won a Brownlow.

I suspect we’ll need to give young Alex at least 2 years before we can expect anything from him.

:thumbsu:

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Don’t forget that Justin Madden came to our club as a 21/22 year old with 40 odd games to his name with Essendon - and in his first 2 seasons with us he was pretty ordinary- until his 85 season where he nearly won a Brownlow.

I suspect we’ll need to give young Alex at least 2 years before we can expect anything from him.

:thumbsu:
It was like watching a feather blow around in the big Harry Maddens early years for sure. We wondered why on earth we recruited him. There is a lesson in that about patience and trust in those that know better than us.

LakeMungoMan

Debutant
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Serious question. Would you rather have ruck dominance and absolutely nothing around the ground, or whatever the hell it is that Pitto does?
I would rather not play a ruckman at all than see Pitto play another game in this form, his going backwards at an alarming rate. Zero aggression, zero marking, zero impact. Bit like Casboult, but at least he hurts the opp sometimes.

Last edited:
Back