The off topic thread 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only good thing about baseball is Moneyball
tumblr_p371r6YlUQ1wvvyspo6_r1_250.gif

I still need to see that. I've read the book but so much of it went over my head.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Enjoyed being at NBA games more so than baseball. Mostly because I was able to sit in good seats and watch the actual game, not being stuck with the suits at Yankee Stadium which happened very often.

Some of the stories I could tell though, holy s**t. There was a bloke at Goldman who instead of inviting clients to the box, would say that he’s “networking” with the “team from Merrill”. Which is code for bringing in the entertainment from about the 5th innings onwards.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Enjoyed being at NBA games more so than baseball. Mostly because I was able to sit in good seats and watch the actual game, not being stuck with the suits at Yankee Stadium which happened very often.

Some of the stories I could tell though, holy sh*t. There was a bloke at Goldman who instead of inviting clients to the box, would say that he’s “networking” with the “team from Merrill”. Which is code for bringing in the entertainment from about the 5th innings onwards.

I enjoyed the NBA when I went. I did find the stoppages painful though. You had the official timeout in the middle of each quarter. Forget how many timeouts each team has (2 or 3?) but they usually got used up. The match I went for ended up going for 2 hours plus despite being a 48 minute match. That aspect I do not like, but the actual game was great. I watched Orlando Magic vs Bulls back in 2012, Rose tore it up and the Bulls won easily. Then caught a Miami heat game a few days later where a dodgy looking guy advised it was in my best interests to pay him to "look after" our rental car. I compiled, $10 USD was worth it (back then you got 107 cents for $1 AUD!!). Good times.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I enjoyed the NBA when I went. I did find the stoppages painful though. You had the official timeout in the middle of each quarter. Forget how many timeouts each team has (2 or 3?) but they usually got used up. The match I went for ended up going for 2 hours plus despite being a 48 minute match. That aspect I do not like, but the actual game was great. I watched Orlando Magic vs Bulls back in 2012, Rose tore it up and the Bulls won easily. Then caught a Miami heat game a few days later where a dodgy looking guy advised it was in my best interests to pay him to "look after" our rental car. I compiled, $10 USD was worth it (back then you got 107 cents for $1 AUD!!). Good times.

The stop start nature of some of those sports can be jarring and take getting used to, particularly when we’re used to AFL which is more or less continuous.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The stop start nature of some of those sports can be jarring and take getting used to, particularly when we’re used to AFL which is more or less continuous.

Who did you watch Glenn if you dont mind me asking? For some reason I imagine you watching a Knicks game with some investment banker types from wall st courtside!

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Who did you watch Glenn if you dont mind me asking? For some reason I imagine you watching a Knicks game with some investment banker types from wall st courtside!

Knicks at the Garden was always my favourite, even though I’m not really a Knicks fan. Was just a great experience, decent seats and always spot a few famous faces (Spike Lee was a constant).

Even though I consider myself a Yankees fan, it’s just completely different being stuck with the suits. And yes mate plenty of those Wall St w***ers that you mention (I was one of them once upon a time, probably still am).

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Still apparently 8 cases from fleeting visits

Apparently = probably not in reality. If the fleeting contact theory was true we would have seen an exponential growth in positive cases especially with testing ramped up to 50k per day. Theyve botched the response and want to hang on to the "fleeting contact" theory to justify the lockdown which will not be reversed under any circumstances until next Thursday. Even if there were 3 days of 100k tests and no positive cases in a row.

Now that the brighton case is bs it is telling that the majority of cases are linked to and located in City of Whittlesea. That's the only area of Victoria where a lockdown is needed / justified.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I find the stop start nature much better in person. There is music, the cheerleaders, a chance to take in the atmosphere and chat to a friend, take some pics. But watching at home on TV and it's just the same adverts over and over and over and over again. Drives me nuts.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I find the stop start nature much better in person. There is music, the cheerleaders, a chance to take in the atmosphere and chat to a friend, take some pics. But watching at home on TV and it's just the same adverts over and over and over and over again. Drives me nuts.
If you need to be entertained by that crap then you need to read a book or something to get your attention span back to the level of adult not child. It's the same how there's now music after a goal in AFL. Or between each ball at the BBL. *silly people.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
I just discovered that the way to open a Doritos salsa bottle is by placing a piece of glad wrap over the lid and then turning, takes a second. Otherwise I would have been defeated by a bottle. Pretty random stuff.
You can also use a knife to break the bubble under the edge and hey presto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back