Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
#triggered

just put me on ignore 👍
Come on mate.

You're a good poster, but you do just keep going to try and ram your POV down peoples throats, in case you didn't realize.

You don't rate the guy - no worries - not everything can be a logical stat driven debate - too many variables mate, as people be people, and people can surprise just as much as they can disappoint - how about we just get behind the direction the club is now on and wait for the surprises. All most people wanted to do in this thread was wish the guy well, not listen to a killjoy.

I wonder what has changed since he tried out with us earlier in the year.
He wasn't good enough then but now he is.
I appreciate it might have been a very close call at the time.

I don't expect him to be ahead of any of our other key forwards or backs but hope he can push someone out in time.
That is how we get better.

Nov 25, 2010
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm interested to see how he partners up w/ Jeka & Greene at VFL level.... surely if TOB gets more vfl games he plays back instead of fwd.
Regarding his pace etc. I'm not gonna find the post, but i'm sure one of the adelaide hawks posted in the MSD thread that there was a concern around his pace and how it hindered his ability to reach proper good field position before his opponent and that it would hold him back from transforming into a KPD.
Time will tell, I'm interested to see how he goes up fwd first. Kicked a nice goal from the boundary in his highlights pkg so his goalkicking can't be that bad, looks to have only had the one bad day in front of the sticks.

I don't expect him to be ahead of any of our other key forwards or backs but hope he can push someone out in time.
Was he "not good enough" or they simply wanted a mid like Bramble ahead of him.

Defensive efforts and agility seem to be 2 of the weaknesses identified

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Whatever it is we are definitively on the go regarding getting enough youth all at once to come through together - I can't wait to see how this all unfolds over getting players like Phillips - nothing against Phillips, just a example. But a biggish core of youth working for each other, knowing each other and working towards getting into the senior team together - yeah yeah eff YEAH - hubs proved some of senior players are insular because they've done it all already.

Loving the pivot our club has done after the top up, and try again, that didn't work out.

Jonathan Patton has "retired"

I'm interested to see how he partners up w/ Jeka & Greene at VFL level.... surely if TOB gets more vfl games he plays back instead of fwd.
Regarding his pace etc. I'm not gonna find the post, but i'm sure one of the adelaide hawks posted in the MSD thread that there was a concern around his pace and how it hindered his ability to reach proper good field position before his opponent and that it would hold him back from transforming into a KPD.
Time will tell, I'm interested to see how he goes up fwd first. Kicked a nice goal from the boundary in his highlights pkg so his goalkicking can't be that bad, looks to have only had the one bad day in front of the sticks.
Yep, another tall who can clunk the ball, who cares where he plays at this stage - it's a back up of a back up - this is what you have to do to get the right talls. The rest of the arguments are just a nonsense.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

We picked Bramble over him at that time didn't we? Maybe the club felt we had a greater outside need than a key forward, with Scully, Hendo, Smith all departing?

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is Callow a chance to debut against Sydney?

Hard to imagine. He has played senior football in lower leagues, and he has trained with us, but he's had zero practice playing a real game under our game plan. You'd think Jai would be a much bigger chance for a debut against Sydney given he's been playing what is essentially our seniors game plan down at Box Hill.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

If you watch the video ( it's posted back a few pages) Callow says he was asked to work on a few things after his stint with us. I assume has and the result is he got picked up by us.

Jonathan Patton has "retired"
Yep great call. And we identified our midfield as being in greater need so took Bramble.. now I am.assuming you researched the dates and Patton wasn't already done before we took.Bramble 😃

If you watch the video ( it's posted back a few pages) Callow says he was asked to work on a few things after his stint with us. I assume has and the result is he got picked up by us.
Yeah, saw that and loved that he's gone back and worked on it, and that we've tracked him and gotten him back involved. Seems a mature kid too.

But, I'd suggest Bramble would have had things to work on too, maybe just fewer. It's not unusual.

Whatever it is we are definitively on the go regarding getting enough youth all at once to come through together - I can't wait to see how this all unfolds over getting players like Phillips - nothing against Phillips, just a example. But a biggish core of youth working for each other, knowing each other and working towards getting into the senior team together - yeah yeah eff YEAH - hubs proved some of senior players are insular because they've done it all already.

Loving the pivot our club has done after the top up, and try again, that didn't work out.
Can't be only very young kids, we need some more progressed players.

For example, Phillips is only like a year or 2 older than Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Morrison, Hanrahan. He definitely has a spot in our side.

I'm interested to see how he partners up w/ Jeka & Greene at VFL level....
I was wondering the same thing today as well.
FF Jeka
CHF Callow
It will be interesting to see how this impacts Lewis, Kosi and Gunner.
I expect them to see how he goes at BH as a forward before any call is made on him becoming a defender.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't be only very young kids, we need some more progressed players.

For example, Phillips is only like a year or 2 older than Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Morrison, Hanrahan. He definitely has a spot in our side.
Agree - it was just a point - we need to get freshness into the list - youth - but we also need mature bodies around them. Phillips has a role, just maybe not what we thought, he looks like a inside player to me - maybe he replaces Shiels when it's time as our tagger - who knows.........

Mate, I'm just happy because the club is fully committed to the pivot. We tried the top up, it didn't get a immediate flag, so what let it go and move on, and we have - it's fantastic.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn

According to McKenzie he has changed body shape since being at Norwood

Jan 9, 2007
Country Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Happy to see Jackson Callow at the Hawks. Hard to believe that he's still only 18 (turns 19 this month). The Hawks would have had a good look at him during the SSP, so we would have a reasonable understanding of where he's at. Comes across as a really genuine young guy in his interview too, so hopefully he has a long and fruitful career with the HFC.
I will be genuinely interested to see how he develops and whether he ends up as a forward or defender. Glad that we have picked up two solidly-built under-20 young footballers in the MSD who have already had a taste of senior football, but also appear very developable.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing that has changed is that a old slow truck, with the turning circle of the earth going around the sun (agility), like Haritgan has shown his value in a defensive set up, rather then individual athletic prowess being the thing. I was against the drafting of Haritgan over youth, but it may have shown something very important.

This is huge in the overall picture.

We thought it was the case with Lake, but Lake was and is a legend who helped, indeed was the difference for two flags- so how would the defense stand up with just a truck like Haritgan nobody wanted, a real "battler", rather than somebody as skinny as Brand or Tobby, or a legend like Lake, now Frawley is gone.

I'll let people work out what has "changed" without agility or pace, according to stats, being the thing and why we might have grabbed him for forward or back or just back up.

Back