Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't underestimate the influence (and likely regular feedback to the hawks) of an experienced professional like Poppy. He would've seen a hell of a lot of South Aus talent in his time and would have a good grasp of the kid's work ethic & potential.

Ran into poppy in North Adelaide earlier in the week - still one of my favourite players & reckon he’d still get a run for us. I miss his desperation in the forward half

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Ran into poppy in North Adelaide earlier in the week - still one of my favourite players & reckon he’d still get a run for us. I miss his desperation in the forward half

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's it? That's the story? I was expecting you to say you hooked up and threw some back at the Baddog Bar or Poppy told you that he was Clarko's son. Geez, talk about a let down ;-)

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I wonder what has changed since he tried out with us earlier in the year.
He wasn't good enough then but now he is.
I appreciate it might have been a very close call at the time.

I don't expect him to be ahead of any of our other key forwards or backs but hope he can push someone out in time.
That is how we get better.

It's a late mid season rookie pick. Yeah, 6-month contract to see what happens.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a late mid season rookie pick. Yeah, 6-month contract to see what happens.
I doubt this, we have brooksby (maybe Tob) (maybe cegler) to be delisted this does not seem a 6 month project. MSD is now a way for bottom clubs to maximise chances of draft picks with essentially free hits

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I doubt this, we have brooksby (maybe Tob) (maybe cegler) to be delisted this does not seem a 6 month project. MSD is now a way for bottom clubs to maximise chances of draft picks with essentially free hits

Just saying minimal risk, and why the difference between not taking him earlier. We rate him and expect him to work out else we wouldn't have picked him. I agree we got plenty of others we can trim from the list.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just saying minimal risk, and why the difference between not taking him earlier. We rate him and expect him to work out else we wouldn't have picked him. I agree we got plenty of others we can trim from the list.
Yer I thought that was strange, but his obviously gone away and not just worked on things but kicked the door down from an improvement perspective and you have to reward that when your a key position player, if he can translate some of that to AFL we have a good player. Still can’t believe Collingwood didn’t grab him, they have nothing.

May also have been a case of the old strategy is now completely dead and we no longer have our toes dipped in the water there.

After a lot of red wine, I had some (arguably) witty and (also arguably) profound things to say.....

Luckily, I deleted them.

Good luck Jackson.... good Tassie boy...

In 1966 (4 years old and living in Tasmania), I didn't have a team to support...
I heard about this unbelievable full forward from Hobart that all the VFL teams wanted to sign....
He made his decision... I made mine.... We were both winners !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the thing in his favour is his age.
He is not yet 19.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Callow was dominant in two games against weak opposition. He wasn’t dominant across all or even most games. Something to keep in mind when considering his likelihood of playing senior football this year. Jeka will be ahead of him for sure.
So an 18 year old who just joined the SANFL after training with Hawthorn in the pre season (barely getting to train with his norwood team mates) only dominated 2 games against a couple of weaker teams embarrassing both McAsey and Worrell, first rounders for Adelaide Crows, collecting 14 contested marks in 2 friggin games btw, which few can manage in a season kicking goals regularly, setting up team mates for goals and this is a bad thing how? Oh he didnt do it to a top of the league team in the SANFL, well lets hope the 18 year old can do it in the VFL.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Just my opinion but if Callow makes it, I reckon Kosi as KD and Callow and Jeka as KFs. I hope it happens for all of them.
I don't know about Kosi as KD.
He was moved forward because it wasn't working out for him (or the club of course) with him playing in defense.
I like what Kosi brings up forward. He's much better suited there IMO.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So an 18 year old who just joined the SANFL after training with Hawthorn in the pre season (barely getting to train with his norwood team mates) only dominated 2 games against a couple of weaker teams embarrassing both McAsey and Worrell, first rounders for Adelaide Crows, collecting 14 contested marks in 2 friggin games btw, which few can manage in a season kicking goals regularly, setting up team mates for goals and this is a bad thing how? Oh he didnt do it to a top of the league team in the SANFL, well lets hope the 18 year old can do it in the VFL.
Do you think he will play senior footy straight away?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I don't know about Kosi as KD.
He was moved forward because it wasn't working out for him (or the club of course) with him playing in defense.
I like what Kosi brings up forward. He's much better suited there IMO.
I liked Kosi as a KD, he has just been injured and Macrae was interested in using him as a KF which has been somewhat of a success, i wouldnt be upset if he went back to playing KD if its better for us in the long run.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dont think we will play him straight away, i think the club will want him to prove himself in our system first, we already have so many KF so he could be used as a Hartigan backup or as another KF option potentially?
My post was in response to some one who suggested callow ‘bloody dominated’ the sanfl. I added some context and suggested he keep that in mind when considering his likelihood of playing senior football this year. As you don’t think he will play straight away, I’m not sure what the issue with my post was...is it because I suggest he would be behind jeka?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not really just two players though is it?

McGovern was a mature age pick, as was Keath, in addition Lake, Hooker, Andrews were all picked late as key forwards and have made defense their best position despite not having outstanding speed or athleticism.

Lack of speed may be overstated, as 3.08 as a key tall over 20m is not at all slow. It's enough to keep in relatively good position with most opposition players he'll come up against.

Agree that it'd be a good story if he made it but the qualities are there, it wouldn't necessarily be a huge surprise.

Funnily is enough Hooker was picked up for his athleticism and speed. Just had chronic hamstring problems early in his career that robbed him of his pace.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t really rate the 20m sprint as a guide to speed. Plenty of ruckman have run sub 3 seconds and then never shown themselves to be particularly quick. Harris Andrew’s ram 3.12 at the combine but had several faster times before that. Seems to be that height and technique can be an advantage in this test. I haven’t been able to find much on agility as you only ever see the top 10 results and they never include talls except for dgb.
Brishawk,
You have brought up an interesting point and one that I had not considered before. Does the 20 meter sprint test give a good indication of the speed of a player, or is it skewed towards taller players? ....... It is a worthy question.
Let us see what happens when I take the top 10 for the 20 meter sprint test in 2020s ND draft. ... I had no clue on the result.
The below numbers show the heights of the fastest players at the 2020 draft... bar one which was an effort to find his height and I could not be effed to chase it.
1.93 + 1.89 + 1.95 + 1.80 + 1.95 + 1.81 + 1.98 + 1.90 + 1.81 + 1.93 + 1.95 = 20.9
Divided by 11 players = 1.90cm.
I do not see a Rhys Stanley in this group, who we all know is very fast over 100 meters but generally does not play “fast” in the AFL.

The average height of an AFL player is 1.881cm. Which is statistically close to 1.90 for our number set of 11.

Proposition: height skews the test result for the 20 m speed Test.
Discussion: There are two AFL “short” players in this group. And no extra-tall players in the group.

Result: the value of the 20 meter sprint test is not invalidated due to the height of the player.
I know the number-set makes this analysis statistically poor. But I’d back it for being generally correct.

If you said that speed and weight would be inversely correlated, then I think you may well be correct. But who wants a skinny, yet fast, full forward... besides Collingwood 😂. If you know another team... TOB is waiting by the phone... just call 13 ALM OST.

Conclusion: Jackson Callow‘s time of 2.08s vs the average speed of draft participants =~ 8.14s shows that he is not fast for an AFL player, but he is also not slow.

And here is the kicker for Callow.... he is just 19 years of age and 96kgs (I’d propose his weight would work against his 20 meter sprint time). If the Hawks want him to be faster, he will get faster.
From his actions = moving states from Tassie to S.A., then to Victoria for a month, then back to S.A., and then putting his name into the draft to go anywhere for his AFL dream... he has shown his willingness to do anything to become an AFL footballer. Attitude = tick.

He speaks well, with honestly, yet with considered reserve. For a 19 year old under the spotlight, he comes across as a good kid = tick. To Be Honest I thought he would be a FIGJAM flog. But in his interview I only saw a good kid.

Further, the Hawks gave him things to work on after seeing him for a month during the 2021 pre-season and then chose to take him in the MSD presumably as he had shown growth in those areas.

Personally, I believe the Hawks had other players higher on their list of talent in the MSD, but those players had been taken before our second pick. That said, history has shown that Jackson Callow had done enough improvement at SANFL level for the Hawks recruiters to want him on our list.

Was that too much? if so, IDGAF, it was fun to do. I am far from being callow (great word ... look up the definition) when I say that Jackson Callow is fast enough to play AFL.

There endeth my statistical analysis... and my word jumble thereafter.

Last edited:

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see a kid who knows how to football and will be a great player in defence.
Mathew Lloyd... dead ringer.
Hahaha
Good luck to the kid!
I can see the North supporters crying over a number choke already.

Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers

Go Davo-27!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back