News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

I've never seen it suggested that the Tasmanian side wouldn't play out of both Hobart and Launceston, with the team being based in Hobart. I think it's extremely unlikely that all games would be played entirely in Launceston or Hobart. It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL read the situation that poorly though lol. If it was up to them, we'd end up playing out of Longford or something equally as bizarre.

It's definitely a stretch to say that the people of Burnie are going to travel to Hobart every week, but Launceston to Hobart (and vice versa) is something many people do quite frequently and the Greater Launceston and Greater Hobart areas contain a majority of the population of Tasmania.

I think it just comes down to the ability to capture a market and the cost associated with it. I guess we will find out what the proposal is like sooner or later, but I think two stadiums wont get the nod otherwise you couldn't upgrade a stadium without having to upgrade both, it would add a lot of cost to it. If the Tasmanian government is willing to take that on then fine, if the costs is pushed back to the club it will be prohibitive.

Launceston to Hobart is still 202km apart, Google says it is 2h16m by car. Some people drive both ways to Geelong games from the south east here, some people go to Ballarat for Dogs games. I am sure some will go between Launceston and Hobart, I just don't know how many. I used to go to Geelong when I was young and didn't mind travel, haven't been there in a long time now. I'd be very surprised if a material number of people went both ways for a footy game. That is a lot of time in transit.

Whatever happens, I hope it works out for Tasmania.

These last few pages have been a good read, with lots of really good points for and against. As some of you know, one of my interests/jobs currently, is in "stadiums" here in Tas, so I'm aware of the discussions obviously around venues and have had conversations lately with some interested "parties" seeking my thoughts, which I gladly shared, some I can go into, most I can't, for obvious reasons.

IF and it's a BIG IF, I had my way, personally I'd be building a roof over UTAS, as my view is that the AFL team needs to be based in Launceston not Hobart. If you'd been privy to some facts and figures like I have been at various times over the years, you'd understand that the majority of crowd support for "sporting events" is swayed towards patrons from the North and North West of the state, Hobartians are a little "lazy" in turning up, BUT in saying that, the projected crowds for the newly formed Jackjumpers" will sway that considerably the other way.

And to quote Tas "Whatever happens, I hope it works out for Tasmania" :thumbsu:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've never seen it suggested that the Tasmanian side wouldn't play out of both Hobart and Launceston, with the team being based in Hobart. I think it's extremely unlikely that all games would be played entirely in Launceston or Hobart.

It's definitely a stretch to say that the people of Burnie are going to travel to Hobart every week, but Launceston to Hobart (and vice versa) is something many people do quite frequently and the Greater Launceston and Greater Hobart areas contain a majority of the population of Tasmania.
Launceston it more r
Where are all these extra people to fill a larger venue? Hiding under the Apple orchards?
Well I have looked on line and seen concerts that were hosted at North Hobart and Kg5 in the past that used to get crowds of up to 25000 so it is definitely possible with the right acts.

These last few pages have been a good read, with lots of really good points for and against. As some of you know, one of my interests/jobs currently, is in "stadiums" here in Tas, so I'm aware of the discussions obviously around venues and have had conversations lately with some interested "parties" seeking my thoughts, which I gladly shared, some I can go into, most I can't, for obvious reasons.

IF and it's a BIG IF, I had my way, personally I'd be building a roof over UTAS, as my view is that the AFL team needs to be based in Launceston not Hobart. If you'd been privy to some facts and figures like I have been at various times over the years, you'd understand that the majority of crowd support for "sporting events" is swayed towards patrons from the North and North West of the state, Hobartians are a little "lazy" in turning up, BUT in saying that, the projected crowds for the newly formed Jackjumpers" will sway that considerably the other way.

Why is a roofed stadium required at all? Tasmania might have a reputation as being wet and windy, but I'm pretty sure statistically it doesn't differ greatly from the weather in Melbourne.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
L

Aunceston has definitely done bet
Why is a roofed stadium required at all? Tasmania might have a reputation as being wet and windy, but I'm pretty sure statistically it doesn't differ greatly from the weather in Melbourne.
Other cold weather climates overseas that have installed roofs on stadiums have seen an increase of 30 to 40 percent in crowds so that would definitely be good for a small market like Tasmania.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Launceston it more r

Well I have looked on line and seen concerts that were hosted at North Hobart and Kg5 in the past that used to get crowds of up to 25000 so it is definitely possible with the right acts.
A Billy Graham Crusade in the 1950s doesn't count, even if you believe the crowd numbers.

Literally just a stage and a microphone, none of the massive staging that accompanies outdoor events these days.

Other cold weather climates overseas that have installed roofs on stadiums have seen an increase of 30 to 40 percent in crowds so that would definitely be good for a small market like Tasmania.

But who fronts the money for this?

We spoke a few weeks ago about the difference for $100m being applied for from Tassie vs Queensland.

Your state has tipped in about 50m for 2 stadiums.

To build a stadium with a roof it would cost hundreds of millions. Where does it get funded?

It probably isn't viable.

It's honestly not a viable solution. It would cost too much and it would never get funded. Tassie doesn't have the marginal political sway federally and such a stadium likely doesn't have an return on invest for a state government to fund.

Broadly Stadiums are money pits. If Tassie did have $200m they be better off building something that attracts migration there.

It's honestly not a viable solution. It would cost too much and it would never get funded. Tassie doesn't have the marginal political sway federally and such a stadium likely doesn't have an return on invest for a state government to fund.

Broadly Stadiums are money pits. If Tassie did have $200m they be better off building something that attracts migration there.

A retractable roof would be expensive. Monolithic dome are much cheaper. However, it would need to have artificial turf and every game would be a night game. I don't think they make clear monolithic domes, but not 100%.

Not saying that would be my play, but it would be an option. They make stadium sized domes in the USA I think, they are earthquake proof, cyclone proof, etc. I wouldn't want to be at Docklands in a natural disaster, that thing almost collapsed with heavy rain.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A Billy Graham Crusade in the 1950s doesn't count, even if you believe the crowd numbers.

Literally just a stage and a microphone, none of the massive staging that accompanies outdoor events these days.
Some of the concerts were a lot later than that.

A retractable roof would be expensive. Monolithic dome are much cheaper. However, it would need to have artificial turf and every game would be a night game. I don't think they make clear monolithic domes, but not 100%.

Not saying that would be my play, but it would be an option. They make stadium sized domes in the USA I think, they are earthquake proof, cyclone proof, etc. I wouldn't want to be at Docklands in a natural disaster, that thing almost collapsed with heavy rain.

This stadium with a non retractable roof cost $198m nzd a decade ago. Prices won't have gone down and this would be too small for footy.

A stadium, any stadium, is going to cost a s**t load of money. One with a roof will cost more.

As a North member I am for building any stadium that benefits us.

Outside of that as a tax payer stadiums are a poor use of public funds.

I know my own bias.

NMFC should know, we've indirectly been paying for one for years.

Multiple clubs have with 2-3 games a weekend.

A new stadium in Tasmania would require the Tasmanian state government to put their hand in their pocket for money I'm not sure thay have.

They would likely need to do this prior to a licence being granted.

Where are all these extra people to fill a larger venue? Hiding under the Apple orchards?

You don't need a stadium to host big concerts.

13k people would attend Falls Festival there, however this likely drags in a bunch of people from interstate.

You are about as likely to see big headline acts making tour stops in Hobart as you are to see them making tour stops in Geelong.

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tasmania is happy to have absolutely anything that is going, one small snag, they always want someone else to pay for it!

North Melbourne has revealed details of a plan to utilise Hobart as a home away from home as the club attempts to navigate Victoria’s Covid-19 outbreak.

Jon Ralph

June 4, 2021 - 9:01AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

North Melbourne is confident of being granted permission to play a trio of games in Hobart in successive weeks that would see the Roos flying in and out of Tasmania on game day.

The Roos are already scheduled to take on Greater Western Sydney next Sunday (Round 13) and then Gold Coast in Round 15.
The Herald Sun can reveal that North has pitched to the AFL and Tasmanian state government the idea of also shifting its Round 14 clash against Brisbane from Marvel Stadium.

That would see the Roos playing three games in a row, with hopes they could also play their later scheduled game against Geelong later in the year.

That game is in Round 20, so the Roos are hopeful they will be able to draw a strong contingent of travelling Cats fans.
North Melbourne chief executive Ben Amarfio had proposed the Roos relocating to Hobart for three weeks and remaining in the state to play the games.

But the Tasmanian health authorities prefer the fly-in fly-out model which would see the players enter the state on a chartered plane and then driving straight to Blundstone Arena.
The Tasmanian government is still assessing the proposal and the Covid numbers in Victoria before ticking off on the three-week stint.

But the Roos and AFL are hopeful as case numbers ease the games could go ahead, starting next Sunday.

“It’s moving in a positive direction. The chief health officer still needs to give his approval but we would be very restricted. We would have exclusive flights, an exclusive bus into the stadium so we would be in a really tight bubble,” Amarfio said on Friday.

North had hoped to stay in Hobart for three weeks. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty Images via AFL Photos

North had hoped to stay in Hobart for three weeks. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty Images via AFL Photos

The Roos have a commercial agreement with the Spirit of Tasmania but were not paid the games-based component of last year’s deal.
Visitors from Queensland and New South Wales could still visit Tasmania to watch their teams in coming weeks, with their borders open to the state.

Geelong is also hopeful of flying into Adelaide next Thursday to take on Port Adelaide under similar restrictions to the ones Collingwood face this weekend.

On Friday night all Collingwood staff and players will quarantine in a city hotel before flying out to Adelaide on Saturday morning.
They will be tested when they arrive on Saturday and will only be allowed to take part in the game when they receive an expedited negative result.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

North Melbourne has revealed details of a plan to utilise Hobart as a home away from home as the club attempts to navigate Victoria’s Covid-19 outbreak.

Jon Ralph

June 4, 2021 - 9:01AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

North Melbourne is confident of being granted permission to play a trio of games in Hobart in successive weeks that would see the Roos flying in and out of Tasmania on game day.

The Roos are already scheduled to take on Greater Western Sydney next Sunday (Round 13) and then Gold Coast in Round 15.
The Herald Sun can reveal that North has pitched to the AFL and Tasmanian state government the idea of also shifting its Round 14 clash against Brisbane from Marvel Stadium.

That would see the Roos playing three games in a row, with hopes they could also play their later scheduled game against Geelong later in the year.

That game is in Round 20, so the Roos are hopeful they will be able to draw a strong contingent of travelling Cats fans.
North Melbourne chief executive Ben Amarfio had proposed the Roos relocating to Hobart for three weeks and remaining in the state to play the games.

But the Tasmanian health authorities prefer the fly-in fly-out model which would see the players enter the state on a chartered plane and then driving straight to Blundstone Arena.
The Tasmanian government is still assessing the proposal and the Covid numbers in Victoria before ticking off on the three-week stint.

But the Roos and AFL are hopeful as case numbers ease the games could go ahead, starting next Sunday.

“It’s moving in a positive direction. The chief health officer still needs to give his approval but we would be very restricted. We would have exclusive flights, an exclusive bus into the stadium so we would be in a really tight bubble,” Amarfio said on Friday.

The Roos have a commercial agreement with the Spirit of Tasmania but were not paid the games-based component of last year’s deal.
Visitors from Queensland and New South Wales could still visit Tasmania to watch their teams in coming weeks, with their borders open to the state.

Geelong is also hopeful of flying into Adelaide next Thursday to take on Port Adelaide under similar restrictions to the ones Collingwood face this weekend.

On Friday night all Collingwood staff and players will quarantine in a city hotel before flying out to Adelaide on Saturday morning.
They will be tested when they arrive on Saturday and will only be allowed to take part in the game when they receive an expedited negative result.

Three low drawing games in a row for Hobart,that will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they get.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don't know why they are talking up the tourism benefits from it when very few mainlanders will be in attendance.

I hope no one shows up and your premier tears up all North contracts.

I hope no one shows up and your premier tears up all North contracts.
Agreed. Time to exit that Hillbilly Hell. :stern look
North Melbourne will most likely be in Tasmania for a lot of years to come because our chances of getting a team for at least ten years are slim.
”Our”, “They”. LOL. Is one head thinking up one post and other other head thinking up the next? :stern look

Last edited:
Back