Channel 10, Paramount Plus TV Rights Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam as a host, yes. There is none better. As a commentator? I have stated many times before that I'll give that a hard pass.
I don't think anyone is calling for him to be a play by play but for the rest I don't think there is any better in Aus soccer. He isn't an ex-player so sure that counts against him for most.

Simon Hill is the best by an absolute mile, not sure anyone disagrees with that. Unsure why Fox dumped him (must have been financial).

I don't think anyone is calling for him to be a play by play but for the rest I don't think there is any better in Aus soccer. He isn't an ex-player so sure that counts against him for most.

Simon Hill is the best by an absolute mile, not sure anyone disagrees with that. Unsure why Fox dumped him (must have been financial).
There is hatred between Hill and fox, especially from hill

Some ideas? I don't know much about soccer FYI
Simon Hill

Bill Woods

Daniel McBreen

Michael Zappone

Robbie Thomson

Michael Bridges

Adam Hawse

Roger Oldridge

Jonathon Williams

Caty Price

Lachy Reid

Scott Mackinnon

Stephen Quartermain

Matt Burke

Michael Felgate

Annie Kearney

Nick Butler

Is this post his sacking? Not sure what the issue would be. SBS have given up football so would even like Lucy Zelic in on things but she may pronounce foreign players names correctly which could trigger people.
May have been the result of alot of factors with his time as an employee, the direction of soccer coverage and/or the contact negotiations (if there were any negotiations that occurred), but he has tweeted previously about his distain for fox (obviously would have been after his contract/employment ended, and he didn't elaborate)

FA trying to hamstring the APL again? can't see how the A-League works in winter will be an absolute fail imo

A-League: New TV deal locked in, but Ten and FA could be set to clash over start date

The Ten Network and its new sports partner Australian Professional Leagues, the company that runs the A-League, are bracing for a stoush over start times for the kick-off of the new season later this year.

The first season of the new $200 million, five-year broadcast agreement is due to start in the spring, and while the APL and its television partner would like a late-October window, there is no certainty that Football Australia, the sport’s controlling body, will give the go ahead.

The FA controls the calendar and has made no secret of its desire to “align” all competitions in Australia as much as possible.

The A-League has historically been staged over spring and summer, or summer and autumn, ensuring the bulk of its program does not run against the NRL and AFL, the dominant football codes, who occupy the winter months.

But FA chief James Johnson has often spoken of his preference to have the A-League running alongside NPL (second tier) leagues in all states and territories, eventually paving the way for promotion and relegation and the creation of a national second division. These leagues generally play between March and October, the same time as the market-leading footy codes.

APL and Ten, hoping to quickly build an audience, desperately wish to avoid the crowded winter months of the year when the media spotlight is on rugby league and Australian rules.

Football Australia was quick to remind the new partners of its authority in a statement welcoming the new deal.

It stressed that, despite the APL’s independent status as controller of the A-League, it would still “retain regulatory functions in respect of the professional leagues, including matters relating to on-and-off-field disciplinary and integrity matters, the registration of clubs, players and officials, the transfer system, and the domestic match calendar.

“Our objective is to implement an aligned domestic match calendar in 2022 and this will involve discussions with the APL and Network Ten on the commencement of the 2021/22 A-League and Westfield W-League seasons in line with Football Australia’s objectives.”

The prime concern for Football Australia is the third FIFA international window, which is set for November 8 to 16 for the Socceroos and November 22 to 30 for the Matildas. It is during that period that World Cup qualifiers and playoffs take place, as well as international friendlies, crucial to boost the FA’s bank balance.

A-League coaches are currently complaining that they are losing key players for the upcoming finals series because they are required for the national team’s World Cup qualifiers in Kuwait next month.

The FA’s ideal scenario would be for November’s international window to be concluded before the new A-League season starts.

It also wants the FFA Cup Final to be the last game of the previous season - and that is currently pencilled in for late October/early November.

Danny Townsend, the managing director of the APL, who is also Sydney FC’s chief executive, is optimistic that a collision course can be avoided.

“We don’t see a lot changing in terms of the season structure and timing,” he said.

“We’re going to be working with Ten to work out when the right time is to launch this thing, because ultimately they’ve got some amazing programming that we can back into to ensure our audiences are significant from day one, and we’re working with them on that.

“But (we are) very collaborative, but ultimately I don’t see a huge amount of change in the amount of games, length of seasons and bookends to seasons in terms of dates.”

Optimistic cautious perspective by Jonathan Howcroft on the new TV deal

ViacomCBS deal points to brighter future for A-League and W-League | Jonathan Howcroft
The announcement of ViacomCBS as a new partner is the first step out of a dark hole for professional football in Australia

The revolution will be televised. Last week’s announcement of a five-year $200m broadcast partnership with ViacomCBS (owners of Network 10) represents the light at the end of the tunnel for the A-League and W-League. After years of off-field squabbling and existential crises Australian professional football can once again focus on the future.

That $200m figure is well below the previous six-year $346m deal with Fox Sports – a reflection of both the changing marketplace in broadcast rights and the declining status of the A-League – but it is at the upper end of expectations and sufficient to underpin the professional game in the short term.

At the very least, the A-League will receive one Saturday primetime fixture per week on 10 supported by a pregame show, with the W-League broadcast live on 10 Bold on a Sunday. But the most interesting elements of the deal sit below the headline figure.

A sizeable component of ViacomCBS’s commitment will be delivered as contra. That means the A-League and W-League should be more visible than at any time since the early days of Western Sydney Wanderers almost a decade ago.

This will include long sought after advertising spend, as well as the integration of football within Network 10 programming. For example, on the night of the announcement, Jenna McCormick and Michael Zullo were guests on The Project. That should be just the start of a process introducing Australian footballers to a wider audience and increasing awareness and familiarity with the game’s characters. It is an unprecedented opportunity to embed the game in the mainstream with an invested partner.

That investment is more than simply contractual. ViacomCBS has purchased a minor equity stake in Australian Professional Leagues (the body responsible for the A-League and W-League since the unbundling from Football Australia), further incentivising the success of the partnership and encouraging longer-term thinking.

The equity stake also foreshadows further venture capital investment in the APL. Before the start of next season it is hoped at least $100m more will be added to the game’s coffers, providing league bosses with a rare war chest to aid the reboot.

While all of this is good news for A-League supporters, there are downsides, not least the requirement to sign up to yet another streaming platform to access content. The opening offer is $8.99 per month for the Paramount+ service that unlocks access to every A-League and W-League fixture, but it is implausible that more attractive terms will not be offered to club members. Nonetheless, that still means another login, and with Optus Sport and Kayo still retaining high profile football and Amazon Prime seen as frontrunner to secure the rights to the Socceroos and Matildas, confusion and expense for consumers is only likely to increase.

There is also the probability the A-League will revert to a summer competition, a decision that won’t please everyone, including FA chief executive James Johnson. “Playing in 40-degree heat doesn’t help the product. Playing in the winter does,” he said last year. How the governing bodies navigate this difference of opinion will be a test case for their long-term working relationship.

Attention has already turned to how Network 10 will present its coverage. Without the legacy responsibilities that may have dictated decisions at SBS or Fox, 10 has an opportunity to rewrite the script. It earned plaudits for its novel treatment of cricket’s Big Bash League in its early incarnation and it must be hoped it is afforded a similar mandate to be creative and distinctive. It would be a missed opportunity if A-League 2.0 was a facsimile of the original.

Beverley McGarvey, chief content officer of ViacomCBS, has spoken of the importance of authenticity, citing The Project as an example. Of the show’s panelists, she told CEO Magazine, “they speak with an authentic voice and they believe what they’re saying. They need the flexibility and room to do that, and I think that’s how we produce our shows.”

The pregame show, and any other non-match football content throughout the network, will be especially important. It is a devilishly difficult task producing material that appeals to Australian football’s myriad and vocal communities, but finding the game’s voice (or voices) will be integral to the venture’s success. This challenge is magnified by operating as the sole broadcaster. Previously, Fox and SBS were able to distinguish themselves in contrast to one another, 10 will not have that luxury. The network’s viewership leans towards a younger and more female audience, which is likely to inform decision making.

Professional football in Australia has endured some lean years. The pandemic turned malaise into panic. The announcement of a new broadcast partner is the first step out of a dark hole and hopefully towards a brighter future.

... at the Guardian, we are entirely reader-funded, and unlike some of our rivals, we don’t have billionaire owners holding the purse strings. We’re independent, a fan-owned club if you will, and don't have plans to break away. So we are free to report on all the action, on and off the pitch, as it unfolds, without fear or favour.

Being independent has its challenges, like anything worthwhile. Every day, millions of readers across the world get their sport coverage through the Guardian. We rely on those who can afford to support us, to do so, so that we can keep our reporting paywall-free, and continue to produce coverage that is accurate, thorough, up-to-the-minute and international.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea what it means, my guess is he has mistaken it for the major third party investment that has yet to be announced (thinking the interviewer was talking about costs being the investor). He speaks about it (and the tv deal as a whole) at the 9:41 mark. Also mentioned is the bull pen issues and the indigenous academy that is no more.

Does anyone remember how the uptake of Optus was when the EPL moved? I think that's a bit of an issue with the new streaming service, is pub take up - I don't see it being enormous for an A-League streaming service apart from your dedicated sports bars and football bars. And they're going to rely on that kind of exposure to grow interest in the game, cos people aren't attending in person at the moment for, I think, COVID reasons at the moment.

I can see ViacomCBS getting a really rude shock when the number of streamers who sign up in September/October is only in the 20-30k range. There'd be some merit to them giving it away to pubs for the first season, cos I don't see many of the pubs in my area taking it up. Even the ones you can usually get a tv at for A-league now (and I'm in the inner north, which is obviously traditionally an area with a lot of first, second and third generation Europeans.)

15 for Kayo + 99 a year for Optus + whatever Paramount costs + whatever ends up happening with the UCL - it's starting to add up. And I can see an Amazon or Stan Sport being a pain in the arse buying Bundesliga or La Liga or the EFL depending on the length of their BeIN deals.

It's all "Network Ten and Paramount+". What is just the Network Ten side of things? Is there a list without the Paramount+ offerings?
All Socceroos Friendly Internationals H&A
All Matildas Friendly Internationals H&A
2026 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers home matches involving Australia until end of 2024
2022 FIFA World Cup Round 3 Asian Qualifiers involving Australia
2023 AFC Asian Cup matches involving Australia
2024 Paris Olympics AFC Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament matches involving Australia
FFA Cup Final

Does anyone remember how the uptake of Optus was when the EPL moved? I think that's a bit of an issue with the new streaming service, is pub take up - I don't see it being enormous for an A-League streaming service apart from your dedicated sports bars and football bars. And they're going to rely on that kind of exposure to grow interest in the game, cos people aren't attending in person at the moment for, I think, COVID reasons at the moment.

I can see ViacomCBS getting a really rude shock when the number of streamers who sign up in September/October is only in the 20-30k range. There'd be some merit to them giving it away to pubs for the first season, cos I don't see many of the pubs in my area taking it up. Even the ones you can usually get a tv at for A-league now (and I'm in the inner north, which is obviously traditionally an area with a lot of first, second and third generation Europeans.)

15 for Kayo + 99 a year for Optus + whatever Paramount costs + whatever ends up happening with the UCL - it's starting to add up. And I can see an Amazon or Stan Sport being a pain in the arse buying Bundesliga or La Liga or the EFL depending on the length of their BeIN deals.

9 a month for paramount.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back