AFLNT releases Bastian scoping report

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Media

‘We want them to play in front of home crowds made up of friends, family and countrymen’: NT to launch new bid for own AFL team

FACILITIES, talent development and retention and a sustainable financial model are key areas AFLNT chief executive Stuart Totham will tackle after the release of a feasibility study into establishing an AFL side in the NT.

Last edited:

Why?

The "we need lots of AFL & government funding to even be marginally viable" approach doesn't seem to be hurting the Tas bid.

I would say that the NT bid is a little more transparent to that end.

That Tas bid doc claims it would grow AFL revenue by more than a Tassie club receiving an "average" AFL distribution.

The Tas bid would have been better off being clearer that:

-the unambiguous and greatest benefits by far would be the economic, cultural and social benefits to Tasmania
-it is at least as likely that it will come as a commercial cost to the AFL and thus
-the bid should be underpinned by federal and state tax at least for its first decades

I wonder is those calling for an AFL team on the grounds of 'social responsibility' would be OK with the 'social responsibility' involved in reduced spending on grass roots, junior and women's football.

I wonder is those calling for an AFL team on the grounds of 'social responsibility' would be OK with the 'social responsibility' involved in reduced spending on grass roots, junior and women's football.

It looks like the bid boosters are going to be adopting the "This is going to be really good for me......and so you should pay for it" strategy yet again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back