Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obzerva

Team Captain
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
All good mate. My strong reaction was because I also assumed you were an outsider! My apologies.

I get too used to mainlanders on this thread trying to tell us that our team won't work because of the completely fictional north/south divide. As you say, our population is more spread out, so it makes more sense to spread our games out.

If I were setting up the league from scratch now I'd use the same model for Queensland with Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I'm too young to know, but perhaps the Bears did play games in both cities when they started?

EDIT: Yep they did. Played their home games out of both Carrara and the Gabba in the early 90s.

No stress.

The issue with the Bears though, is even though they were the Brisbane Bears the early years were very much at Carrara because of Christopher Skase, rather than in Brisbane

The Gabba as it was then wasn't in great shape (liteally) for AFL, if you google images "old Gabba teardrop shape" you can see why it wouldn't have been a great viewing experience, think of a game being played on the the dimension of Elwick. Until the dev work was done on the ground, full time in Brisbane at the Gabba wasn't really an option.

It wasn't so much as a sharing between the two locations, it was having the name of one, being based in the other.

Last edited:
No stress.

The issue with the Bears though, is even though they were the Brisbane Bears the early years were very much at Carrara because of Christopher Skase, rather than in Brisbane

The Gabba as it was then wasn't in great shape (liteally) for AFL, if you google images "old Gabba teardrop shape" you can see why it wouldn't have been a great viewing experience, think of a game being played on the the dimension of Elwick. Until the dev work was done on the ground, full time in Brisbane at the Gabba wasn't really an option.

It wasn't so much as a sharing between the two locations, it was having the name of one, being based in the other.

1622789250261.png

The old Brisbane Cricket Ground (GABBA) in 1976 for anyone wondering why the ground/stadium wasn't suitable to host the Bears back in the day.

No wonder why by the looks of it, more looks like an dis-formed upside down pear or something stupid 😂

Wouldn't want to hit a cricket ball down that end of the field as a batsman as you would be doing a lot of running between the wickets 😂

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1146143

The old Brisbane Cricket Ground (GABBA) in 1976 for anyone wondering why the ground/stadium wasn't suitable to host the Bears back in the day.

No wonder why by the looks of it, more looks like an dis-formed upside down pear or something stupid 😂

Wouldn't want to hit a cricket ball down that end of the field as a batsman as you would be doing a lot of running between the wickets 😂
wtf who built that abomination? i can understand funny shaped cricket grounds when theres limited space, but to have an extra little bit tacked on one end is just stupid. and apparently everything was built better when we had to hand draw everything...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's quite simple. There would be 12 games in Tassie each year (11 home + 1 preseason). Hobart gets 6 and Launceston gets 6. Until Hobart gets a bigger stadium Launceston gets the bigger drawing games. When Hobart's stadium is finished, these games are shared.

has the gov committed to upgrading Hobart stadium? Is there any info on this?

Yep. They won't build a stadium without first having a team. The plan is to keep using Bellerive for the first few years and play all blockbusters in Launceston during this time.

I think the AFL having concrete commitments from the QLD government to redevelop Carrara before the Suns got their license was a significant factor in the Suns getting their license.

It would likely be an issue if there was no agreement in place to redevelop the stadium before a license was committed.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I think the AFL having concrete commitments from the QLD government to redevelop Carrara before the Suns got their license was a significant factor in the Suns getting their license.

It would likely be an issue if there was no agreement in place to redevelop the stadium before a license was committed.
We already have two AFL standard venues, and Carter said he was happy with them when he was here.

Gold Coast had nothing.

You mean like, the Swans and Lions, and the AFL's plan for the Kangaroos?

Oh.....

AFL: 2-3 teams over 120+ years of competition

NFL: I count 20 moves in less time.

So yep, your argument isn't exactly very good :)

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
GC is over an hour away from Brisbane, and longer if you're coming from Coolangatta.

If you take the Qld comparison, as soon as the Gabba was redeveloped, Brisbane moved and never looked back.

The same thing will happen when Hobart builds their Stadium. Bye Bye Launceston. See ya!
It's a better model than your stupid Divisions idea.

It's a better model than your stupid Divisions idea.
Nothing wrong with floating that idea in relation to the AFL long term, but I just don't see how it is relevant to a current Tassie side discussion - because there's no way two sides are going to happen when it's such a battle to get one.

Last edited:
Ok, Ill stay on point.

Lets jump in our time machine to 2041.

We have 22 teams in the AFL, including Darwin, Canberra, Cairns and Tasmania.
We have a final 10 :sick: and the bottom 8 or so teams just play for the fun of it. Anyway......

Hobart population has grown to 300,000+ people
Hobart has an AFL stadium with 40k capacity and 40k membership base for the State team.

Launceston is offered 2 token games per season, (against GWS and GC), and no further investment is made into York Park with a limited capacity of 25k.
Launceston population grows to 180,000, The same size as Cairns and Darwin, which both have sides.
Devonport and Burnie's population grow to a combined 75,000 people, and the entire Nth Tasmanian region is now 300k+ strong.

Is this not a reasonable prediction?
Off we go. :)

d26611f2ed6ec6efcc9e406a1c121a91.jpg

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nothing wrong with floating that idea in relation to the AFL long term, but I just don't see how it is relevant to a current Tassie side discussion - because there's no way two sides are going to happen when it's such a battle to get one.
The battle to get a team, let alone two, is due to the current AFL model.

Change the model, and maybe start welcoming entities, not denying them.
However, that can on be accomplished via a divisional structure.

So you may think I'm running on a tangent, but fundamentally, I am not.

The structure of the AFL is the obstacle to entry.

The battle to get a team, let alone two, is due to the current AFL model.

Change the model, and maybe start welcoming entities, not denying them.
However, that can on be accomplished via a divisional structure.

So you may think I'm running on a tangent, but fundamentally, I am not.

The structure of the AFL is the obstacle to entry.
There is nothing wrong with being idealistic. But you have to be realistic at the same time.

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is nothing wrong with being idealistic. But you have to be realistic at the same time.
I am.
I have no doubt that the AFL has plans for at least a 22 team League by 2030, and are trying to work out how it will work.

Because of their obsession with NFL, they'll probably go via a conference model, but I reckon the debate would be raging behind vthe scenes, regarding a divisional structure.

I am absolutely convinced, that the future of our game, lies in a divisional, consensus based, free market model.

I have enormous faith in our product, to the extent that, if given to the free market, it is only bad club management and centralised governance that could foster short term failure. But long term, the product is just too good.

I am.
I have no doubt that the AFL has plans for at least a 22 team League by 2030, and are trying to work out how it will work.

Because big their obsession with NFL, they'll probably go via a conference model, but I reckon the debate would be raging behind vthe scenes, regarding a divisional structure.

I am absolutely convinced, that the future of our game, lies in a divisional, consensus based, free market model.

I have enormous faith in our product, to the extent that, if given to the free market, it is only bad club management that could foster short term failure. But long term, the product is just took good.

When's your first year economics assignment due?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back