Review Good bad ugly vs Collingwood - Rd 12, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackay.

GET OUT.

Sick of this club rewarding mediocrity for 10+ years. Go away. Get serious about a rebuild.

And for those about to bag ROC for the last quarter blues, I’d cop that 100 times before I cop another Mackay mistake.
What about that part in the second quarter where Jones squeezed handball out to him on the boundary line at around the 50m mark and it hit him right in the guts and he turned around, fell over, dropped it and turned it over for a goal instead of a rebound 50?

Classic. Literally if he wasnt there it would have gone over the boundary line for a throw in.

LOL at the usual sucks coming in here and telling us that its fine because we could have beaten the second worst team in football missing their best player at home if we just were better at the game of football.

Thanks guys.
2 of our best 3 players weren't playing either
Its not fine but it it something we can deal with because it helps us get better draft picks which we desperately need. Winning 8 games this year and finishing 10th is actually the worst thing we can do
Plus we gave ourselves opportunities to win just failed to take them. Much better than last year when we were unable to even look like we were in the same comp as most teams
Im annoyed we lost but long term its better
Chill

Some of my out-takes

Umpiring - Felt just like the Melbourne game. No howlers, but a s**t tonne of 50/50 calls. But they just about all went Collingwoods way. There were 2-3 push in the backs by collingwood - Play on (I agreed with 1, but the other 2? idk) Yet the 1 which was committed by us - Free. But all 4 were 50/50 and the decision went Collingwood's way in all 4 (probably should've been 2 frees Adelaide, 1 free collingwood, 1 playon, not 1 free collingwood, 3 playon). Then a few holding the balls. No prior, pinned adelaide, ballup collingwood. Or the drag in, pin adelaide, ball up collingwood. There were no howlers and terrible calls, but all those 50/50s went 1 way. And it sucks.

Chayce Jones - I was actually quite happy with him in Rd 9-10, but today he was fumbling everything. Im seeing those red flags of 2020 again. He needs to go down to the sanfl this week. But the club needs to do it in a way which doesnt completely destroy his confidence. I think he's on the precipice right now. And pushing through atm, will push him off and we'll lose him completely. I can see him as a role player. But if we handle the next 1-2 weeks poorly, I can see him failling altogether.

Collingwood - YOu know, I can see how their midfield setup matches up vs us so much better than Melbourne. Melbourne's midfield is attack attack attack, we pressure them, we cause turnovers. But Collingwood's outliers peel off, they dont attack. SO it opened up the safe kick to the outside so often. And smart players like De Goey and Sidebottom found that outlet so often. I can see how Collingwood can push and/or upset teams that rely on a pressure game/move it forward at all costs. Will it when them premierships? No. It'll only hold up for 3-4 teams (unfortunately, we're one of them) but I can see it being good in situations (ie. Today)

Kelly was good defensively again mostly. Got torched by Sidebottom on a lead for the crucial goal (it happens, he's class, not blaming Kelly) but went nuts at his team mates

Didn't like that

I'm sure your team mates could point out a few of your shortcomings, Jake.
He's done that a few times this year and I can't say I'm pleased by it.

I watched the warm up and commented that our shot on goal were poor and barely one went through. Once I saw that, I had a bad feeling
Mchenry kicked one oof from 25m on the run. Fog didn't make the distance from 40. Told my brother we were going to lose by 40+

LOL at the usual sucks coming in here and telling us that its fine because we could have beaten the second worst team in football missing their best player at home if we just were better at the game of football.

Thanks guys.
You know, I actually think we win if Grundy plays.

Grundy beats O'Brien (by throwing him out the contest, but they never pay that) grabs ball, hack kick forward, turnover.

Grundy might get the stats, he might get the disposals, but I truly believe they're a 3-5 goal better team without him. Better forward 50 entries without him.

I thought this game was the best umpired game of the season fwiw

Or maybe I was just so frustrated at our kicking, fumbling, hospital handballs and "waist hug" tackles where they can shoot off a handball with ease that I didn't notice the umpiring

ROC on the Centre square after we hit the front with 5 minutes to go. That’s on the coaches.
This is what I don’t get. Posters calling us to play the kids on the middle.

we play the kids in the middle

“coaches got no idea playing kids in the middle “

Kelly was good defensively again mostly. Got torched by Sidebottom on a lead for the crucial goal (it happens, he's class, not blaming Kelly) but went nuts at his team mates

Didn't like that

I'm sure your team mates could point out a few of your shortcomings, Jake.
That's leadership to some people.
Difference between him being a good leader and a massive douche is what we probably don't see behind the scenes. Is he getting around those guys and helping them at training?

I'm happy to think he's a prima donna, but I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I don’t get. Posters calling us to play the kids on the middle.

we play the kids in the middle

“coaches got no idea playing kids in the middle “
You played them at the right time and O'Connor was having a shocking game playing forward so his confidence would have been shot given this was his only 2nd game, yet he was in the centre bounce at a very crucial time of the game?

Player review

Players with a strong chance to be in our next flag team

Thilthorpe - star player, plays to our advantage, looks great when involved

Doedee - felt he had an average game and having to play a more accountable role hurts his contribution, although he wasn't bad

Schoenberg - is the only player in our team that gets into attacking positions forward of contests. We have a midfield of plodders and this guy stands out as doing something different and generally to our advantage

McHenry - simmering along nicely, excellent vision, footy IQ and tenacity

Fogarty - played his role, except for missing a set shot. Is building every week thanks to finally getting continuity

Butts - played his role, Mihocek had no influence on the game

Sholl - looks like he needs a rest. Crucified playing up forward to accommodate Mackay further down the field which is idiotic coaching and selection

Jury is out on whether they could be part of a flag team

Laird - had 40 touches but the impact of a 20 touch game. Concerned about his 5 year contract beyond this year as I feel he is only a complementary midfielder to something better

Keays - plays to the absolute best of his ability every week so you can't fault that, but feel his ceiling is a 2nd or 3rd rotation mid in a good team. The combination of him and Laird for many years to come has me concerned given neither is elite but are young enough to be around for a while.

O'Brien - played well up against no one of any note, so played his role. Did stuff around the ground which was missing for the first 10 rounds

Hamill - love it when he gets the ball and finds an attacking option with his foot, but really struggles to do the easy things right

Jones - had a stinker in the first quarter but was serviceable beyond that point. Is a confidence player and needs to be backed in

O'Connor - weirdly low TOG and honestly wasn't very good, but you can't judge a guy on 2 games and he needs a stretch to figure out whether he has it

Rowe - had a stinker. Have a lot of concerns over his ceiling and consistency

Definitely won't be in our next flag team

Seedsman - is the only midfielder in our side that is a chance of making the All Australian squad of 40

Smith - had a good game aside from some shocking kicks. Both him and Seedsman will be 30 next year so I hope we have a solid plan to phase them out

Walker - inaccurate game but like his marking which is back. I think we'll be fine as we phase him out, we have a couple of decent forward options, but still has football left

McAdam - becoming more clear that he is a stopgap option as we rebuild and is too old to be in our next flag team. There will come a time when we can't justify playing an inconsistent 26 year old, need to draft a replacement we can develop and play by the time McAdam is 28-29

Mackay - absolutely should not have played a single game this year under any circumstances

McPherson - regressed so far this year I'm almost calling that he won't make it as an AFL player

Kelly - is far too limited of a player and we really need to phase him out as there is no chance he will be in our flag team. Is basically clogging up the backlines during a rebuild

Sloane - is just barely doing enough for a player of his standing. Struggling.

You played them at the right time and O'Connor was having a shocking game playing forward so his confidence would have been shot given this was his only 2nd game, yet he was in the centre bounce at a very crucial time of the game?
I’d say that’s the right time. Game on the line. Let’s see what you got kid. Pressure builds diamonds

McPherson is disappointing, really thought he was a long term option down back. Luke Brown plays tonight, we win.
I reckon the Pies targeted Elliot on the back of McPherson's inexperience, expecting him to be nervous at home and he was.
Nervous --- lost, in fact --- and 5m behind Elliot in the first quarter.

Yup, even the coaching decisions were diabolical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back