Review Round 12, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a shocking immature captain . Great when things go his way as soon as team isn’t going well he is diving and staging for free kicks or talking way too much lip . Sooner we move on and make Harris captain the better as far as I’m concerned .

More than a like. Love his work, but not the leader that Harro is. Has done his job, but now it is club first.

There are six players on the field that are forwards.

Has there ever been a game where they have decided(either way ) a game?

Some posters, who misuse the word 'amazing", mimicking the appalling misuse of this word so current in modern life, merely parrot the current obsession with the "mid field".

Six forwards, six forwards and six mid fielders but only the midfield matters? I wish that I could stomach fools.

There are six players on the field that are forwards.

Has there ever been a game where they have decided(either way ) a game?

Some posters, who misuse the word 'amazing", mimicking the appalling misuse of this word so current in modern life, merely parrot the current obsession with the "mid field".

Six forwards, six forwards and six mid fielders but only the midfield matters? I wish that I could stomach fools.

RUOK?

A game of 2 halves, one each way. The way you guys were all over us in the first was the best any side has played against us this year. That sort of footy will have you guys going deep in the finals. We got the win but I wouldn’t have us ahead of you guys. Good to see Lachie Neale back, Zach Bailey is going to be a star. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

I hate the way they now just ignore throws. You are supposed to punch the ball off your hand- not throw it and put your other hand near it. (At times they don’t even bother with that). It’s a major part of the game and the AFL and umpires have let throws go that much it’s going to hard to get players back to doing it properly. I would love to see it officiated the other way and 50/50 ones get called throws. God I miss what the game used to be. 😔 Anyone that believes Oliver doesn’t throw it is not watching.

Players like Oliver who throw are the equivalent of a swimmer jumping the gun and letting it go. Not a level playing field.

It just seems to be an issue that the media has no interest in covering either. It’s infuriating. They hyper focus on other umpiring issues that are less of an issue.

As said they let the dogs get away with it. So other players copy.
players tackled and dropping the ball another one. Nothing should of just spilled out in a tackle.
You either disposed of it legally or dropped it.

Throws annoying although did not kill us.
We missed tackles on players inside our 50 for a lot of goals in the last. Rich missed a couple
They ran in packs so where was our players
Centre clearance was our way 17-11 . lost at stoppages. 18-26

They where too good. Ran too hard and we did not stick tackles.

Whilst they hardly ever pay throws do you want to play by Marquis of Queensberry rules while the other guy is able to do whatever he likes ?

Until there is a clear change in interpretation if its the only way of getting it forward quickly or out of a spot at the bottom of a pack I'd throw it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our team lacks one player. A bull out of centre bounces and stoppages, a la Oliver or Petracca.
Sadly we have 2 on our list maybe even 3! Berry has the big body and reach to get to Ollivers hands high and also then there is Rayner who I believe will be a massive impact player at contests and score threat. We also have young Eli Smith who has a big body too if he can ever get a series of games into him.

When casting votes this week I was only able to award Harris and Bailey as whole game contributors. On reflection Robertson was strong all night and tackled impressively. We need more ball winning ability as it was obvious Zorko was off and Neale ran out of puff. Ive noticed Lyons has not been himself last few weeks either? Something to watch. Robbo was ineffectual this week too with no impact at all at any stage. We need to watch and build our midfield over the next weeks.

Dwayne-o reckons the umpiring dept. have ticked them off. Seems the current "interpretation" is that you can shovel the ball with an open hand as long as a clenched fist is contacting it. It's criminal what these campaigners are doing with our game. And don't get me started on shoves in the back that are apparently merely 'protecting the drop of the ball'. :poutingcat:

Whilst they hardly ever pay throws do you want to play by Marquis of Queensberry rules while the other guy is able to do whatever he likes ?

Until there is a clear change in interpretation if its the only way of getting it forward quickly or out of a spot at the bottom of a pack I'd throw it.

I agree as long as others are doing it we may as well

Sadly we have 2 on our list maybe even 3! Berry has the big body and reach to get to Ollivers hands high and also then there is Rayner who I believe will be a massive impact player at contests and score threat. We also have young Eli Smith who has a big body too if he can ever get a series of games into him.
JBerry doesn’t play like that unfortunately.

I was aware, after I posted my comment that I had forgotten Rayner, and he could be that with improved stamina.

I’ve pretty much given up on Ely Smith. He has a big body, but lacks football nous.

He is a shocking immature captain . Great when things go his way as soon as team isn’t going well he is diving and staging for free kicks or talking way too much lip . Sooner we move on and make Harris captain the better as far as I’m concerned .
Truly a stupid comment. This is the same guy who averaged 7 tackles a game across 2016-18 when we won 13 games across those seasons.

It just seems to be an issue that the media has no interest in covering either. It’s infuriating. They hyper focus on other umpiring issues that are less of an issue.
I did hear Dermie of all people commenting during our GWS match that there were more throws now than at any time.

We can cry all day about Oliver throwing it, but WTF was targeting him or Petracca when the momentum shift started? Those 2 out of action is literally their midfield decimated.

We can cry all day about Oliver throwing it, but WTF was targeting him or Petracca when the momentum shift started? Those 2 out of action is literally their midfield decimated.
They have other good M/F's as well.

So target Oliver and Petracca and put them out of action . How and by whom ?

I like the idea of scragging them at the stoppages and at least that way they don't get that burst away even if you concede the free kick.

JBerry doesn’t play like that unfortunately.

I was aware, after I posted my comment that I had forgotten Rayner, and he could be that with improved stamina.

I’ve pretty much given up on Ely Smith. He has a big body, but lacks football nous.

Might have more to do with us not playing him in that role. He certainly has the attributes to do it.

They have other good M/F's as well.

So target Oliver and Petracca and put them out of action . How and by whom ?

I like the idea of scragging them at the stoppages and at least that way they don't get that burst away even if you concede the free kick.

Scragging at stoppages and annoyance tactics are perfectly legit. Lachie is basically MIA when this happens. We are lucky we have Zorko, Clug and Lyons (and others) to take the slack.

Dwayne-o reckons the umpiring dept. have ticked them off. Seems the current "interpretation" is that you can shovel the ball with an open hand as long as a clenched fist is contacting it. It's criminal what these campaigners are doing with our game. And don't get me started on shoves in the back that are apparently merely 'protecting the drop of the ball'. :poutingcat:
As for a bloke under pressure in the back line kicking it 50 meters for it to roll out of bounds and it being called deliberate................ I saw one paid the other week when a forward missed his team mate- in the attacking 50!!!!

Back