Review Good bad ugly vs Collingwood - Rd 12, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What has that got to do with your comment about no plan B against a team that blocked the corridor? Clearly the coaching group adapted after the 1st quarter.
So you were happy with our ball movement?

I wasn't.

Imagine if we were actually playing a decent side.

Spend some time watching him off the ball. He gets into good positions and understands where he needs to be. That is why coaches like him. He follows instruction.

But his skills are so bad he panics once he gets the ball.

I am not saying he should be in the team, but can kind of see why he is. I don't think he should be in the side.

In that Amazon docco Sloane talked about guys needing to do homework to learn gameplan and theory. I bet a lot of our guys struggle(d) with this for him to say that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Getting into good positions and having good football IQ are not necessarily the same thing.

Mackay strikes me as a player that plays robotically. Stand here, get ball there, run to here, kick it there. He gets into good positions because he has been told those are the positions to get into, not because he has a fundamentally great understanding of the game.

The way he does the exact same thing every single time regardless of everything around him and the way the game is being played suggests to me he has no feel for the game and a low football IQ as a result. It doesn't matter whether there are 4 opponents ahead of him or 0, he always tries his stock standard run and carry pattern every time. No one in the forward line? Doesn't matter, he knows he has to kick it high and long into there. But he is very good at doing what he's told.

It's kinda like the person who succeeds at uni because they are a great rote learner, but ultimately fails in the workplace because that skill is far less useful in the real world

From supporters who don't really no where he fits in the game plan. Internally coaches love the way he follows instruction.

More than one AFC person has told me this.

Debatable whether it is a good enough reason to play him. I say no.

You would hope an older player knows the game plan & can follow instructions....

Best way for younger players to understand the game plan & follow instructions is to play them when rebuilding....

I understand why the coaches play him. He is dependable. Us supporters see the handful of things he does wrong. But miss the majority of things he does well. Positioning, structure, understanding game plan are apparently things we does well. Things we don't see.
If you mean you can depend on him to play poorly I would agree with you. He's played 2 decent games out of 7 this season.

I wasn't.

Like I said we adapted after the first quarter and played a lot better particularly in the 2nd and 3rd quarter so there was a plan B. Yes, we should have been at least 3 goals up at half time but missed some very easy shot at goal. We played a decent side last week didn't we?

you really have trouble with the basics don't you..

has it ever occurred to you at all that guys like mcpherson and hamill haven't even played 50 games yet?.. and you do actually know that you’re gonna get inconsistencies in form and performance from these young players?.

do you also realise the reason lads like this havent gotten all the experience they possible could have to this point is due to the fu**in clowns selecting mookay week in week out in front of them, and others, for years now.

on top of this, to accomodate mookay and get him in the side the clowns also play our youth out of position (yep, you’re wondering what‘s happening to sholl. same thing milera dealt with for years, having to be shifted around and played out of position for mackay. theres your answer, you’d see it if you bothered to open your eyes).. granting game after game to a 32 year old bog average hack over promising young players.. what a brilliant strategy.

that you seem to be completely oblivious to all this and continue to make excuses for mookay and instead focus on our youth’s failings shows just how utterly clueless you are..

Your posts are as stupid as your forum name. Only an illiterate "fu**in clown" would spam this forum with obsessive Mackay rants, blaming him for everything you see wrong with the club. I seriously dont know why the moderators haven't kicked you and your gross stupidity out of here.

His penetration is fine, he just gets into trouble when trying to pin point short passes. It isn’t his game, I wish he would stop trying to! Cost us a direct turnover and goal in the 3rd.
Like the original post said, his kicking isn’t particularly good anymore

A first round draft pick in his 3rd year should know how to handball and make better decisions.
That was the correct handball and play, MacKay was expecting that handball given Jones had to handball beneath the stretching arm of the opposition player so Mackay had enough time to balance himself to gather the ball instead of continually backing up and then falling over himself.

I wasn't.

To be fair collingwood have been playing that style of game where they are happy to try and beat teams 8 goals to 6 where they try and possess and block up space. They have gone very close to beating port and brisbane like this so they were never going to be a walkover.

That our kicking skills were woeful last night and walker and fog had the yips infront of goal ultimately allowed collingwood to get the points. We really beat ourselves last night

That was the correct handball and play, MacKay was expecting that handball given Jones had to handball beneath the stretching arm of the opposition player so Mackay had enough time to balance himself to gather the ball instead of continually backing up and then falling over himself.

Stop with the Bullsh!t. Handballing at your teammate's shins after running yourself into trouble, is not "the correct handball and play", let alone anyone else's fault but Jones'. His poor composure costs us continually.

I wouldn't put it past our club, I am expecting our club to get carried away with a few big wins this season and extend Nick's at the end of the year for two more years. +
:eek:

Extend, on the basis of what? 4-8 so far? Selection policy (persevering with Frampton/Himmelberg/Mackay)?
OK, it looks like the players are invested, buying in, and several rookies have re-signed, but yesterday Collingwood (2-9, minus Grundy) blew a 4-goal lead and after the Crows found ways to contrive an 8-point lead against how badly Collingwood played, they still found a way to lose.
I've followed the Crows since their inception and have never seen such a poor-kicking, basics-annihilating Crows side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your posts are as stupid as your forum name. Only an illiterate "fu**in clown" would spam this forum with obsessive Mackay rants, blaming him for everything you see wrong with the club. I seriously dont know why the moderators haven't kicked you and your gross stupidity out of here.
Well you're still here so stupidity must fly

Stop with the Bullsh!t. Handballing at your teammate's shins after running yourself into trouble, is not "the correct handball and play", let alone anyone else's fault but Jones'. His poor composure costs us continually.
It was an underground handball which was required at that time and Mackay was expecting and the ball didn't even hit his shin, the ball bounce multiple time before reaching Mackay who just happened not to gather the ball because he fell over.

looks like the head of mackay‘s fan club has arrived..

One big flaw that I noticed yesterday was when we won the ball, we always ran and looked to handball backwards. It was infuriating given it never worked as well. That must be a team directive because I counted numerous times we could turn and run forward but went backwards. It was so frustrating
Yes, it's negative/defensive football and painful to watch. Damage/loss minimisation (3-, 5- and 10-point losses as well as no blowouts), fostering a meek brand of footy (and yet they can produce games like the Geelong/Dees wins, wtf? :drunk:).
If they're going to lose ("rebuild", "young side" and all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), I'd rather watch them lose by more, taking the game on with run and play-on at all costs a team (Coach) directive. At least then their mindset would be aggressive and pro-active.

McHenry was the only kid who played well. Was one of the few who could pick the ball up cleanly.

Fog was passable, though missed some set shots he'd kick 9 times out of 10.

Butts was solid defensively but fu** me he is a worry with ball in hand. Needs to do what Talia does and either hand the thing off or kick it long.

McPherson can spend the rest of the year in the SANFL. He's been woeful since Heeney destroyed him in R2.

Don't know what's gotten into Hamill. Think he plays better with Brown in the side.
Hamill's obviously been told to go with his strength ....his run & carry ....but in doing so his decision making and execution has been horrible for 6 weeks, which is why he was dropped

Don’t matter what they block, we should have attacked quickly to break the game open instead of always going backwards
Like we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, particularly in the 2nd quarter? Not sure why we stopped in the 4th though, a couple of time in the 4th we had a chance to go quick to give the forward one of one, we stopped and kicked behind the mark.

I'd say that Mackay's ongoing selection encapsulates everything that is wrong and has been wrong with our club

We overvalue training form
We value longevity above all else
Are extremely poor at rating players (we don't rate Lyons and Greenwood, we do rate Mackay)
We become enamoured with good club men (Otten gets a grand final) rather than making hard calls (McDermott, McGuiness)
The sense of entitlement among senior players is enabled by our coaches
There's a pecking order that can't be overriden (good luck Berry or Schoenberg getting midfield minutes ahead of Sloane)
We find it difficult to differentiate between the person and the footballer. D Mac (and Otten and Reilly and VB and Shirley and Doughty and Stevo and Dougie and Ken and Kelly) is the type of person we want to see succeed.

No it's not Mackay's fault but the Mackay logic we use to govern all our decisions is the root of our problems. How is 'comes from a good family' a recruiting factor worth noting? Does Dusty come from a good family?

Listening to premiership coaches and captains in their commentary they are exceptionally demanding of a team's senior players. Crunch times are when the senior players have to step up. End of. They drive performance and culture.

We instead are very forgiving of our senior players.

Apart from the never ending D Mac selection saga our next couple of tough calls are Sloane's captaincy and Lynch's contract. I suspect that a ruthless, performance culture driven club would wind up Sloane's captaincy and farewell Lynch and Mackay.

What will we do?

I've recently started posting (@ every opportunity) that Mackay is currently the tip of the iceberg. We don't see our cultural imperitaves underneath, it's all hidden from view. We are told to trust the process and that we now have something called 'selection integrity' because he's being selected. But the existance of the iceberg tip tells us the nature of what lies below. Posters have continually excused the selection as not important ("your 22nd selected player isn't the difference", among numerous others). But what the apologists ignore is that his selection also explains why we continue relying on 100% midfield minutes from a group that we know we need to improve upon. Dmac is the thin edge.

We're a club that even in a rebuild, off a spoon, seeks continuity and 4 points well ahead of developing a flag contending list. And, sadly, it's not even a difficult decision. Mackay is locked after the Melbourne game for 4-6 weeks prior to any discussion about selection at all. I know the numpties will point to how many sub-50 gamers are playing. But that's lazy, we're forced to play that many. It's the minimum and has been all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back