Review Good bad ugly vs Collingwood - Rd 12, 2021

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
It's his 2nd season Bicks, he'll make mistakes but this kid is a footballer, he'll get it right. If I was Nicks I'd back this kid in all the way cause he's a gun in the making.
Well said :thumbsu: . Schoenberg is all of those things.
However, those dinky, back-over-the-head handballs are not the clangers of inexperience.
They are unnecessarily fancy, they do not come off and they can be eliminated, easily. Just stop doing them.
It won't break his spirit if Nicks said something like: "We love the way you're developing, but please, drop those handpasses from your game. They are not working".

Hey Clueless, Jones F/ed up big time. Quit with the pathetic excuses and blame shifting. That was another score involvement for Collingwood by Jones.

How very ironic. The person trying to shift the blame calling others out for blame-shifting.

If Mackay manages to pick up the ball, it's a stoppage. An ok result considering that we were under pressure in our back 50, and much better than a turnover at 60-70 m which is a likely result for a dump kick under pressure. He just tripped over his own feet. It was an absolute screw up from an experienced player, and one of those plays that make a convincing argument that it's time to retire, the game has gone past you.

If Jones made a minor mistake (and a handball to someone's feet under pressure is a minor mistake, as you should still be able to retain possession from it, you've just lost whatever momentum you had), Mackay compounded it into an absolute disaster.

Schoenberg has plenty of good moments and is showing a heap of promise but anyone suggesting his kicking is up to scratch currently Is definitely looking at his game through rose coloured lens.

Needs to tidy that aspect of his game up pronto.

It's dropped off the last few weeks (likely fatigue if anything), but still, it's rated as very good for midfielders by AFL stat standards at 68.7% KE for the year (it's just dropped from the elite 71% it was a fortnight ago).

I doubt it's a particular concern at this point in time, just likely another kid yearning for the bye.

Froggy ....10 years I've been rattling on, and no-one listens .....and when Mackay retires on close to 250 games for this club, supporters will find another scapegoat to blame for every loss

Maybe understanding the role of outside players is a start ....and how they perform in wins v losses

FWIW .....Sholl was horrid last night, and he plays the same role as Mackay ..... but there won't have been much said about his game

Yup, because it not much needs to be said about Sholls game. A kid who had an excellent first half of the year (to the point he's become someone we are now building around) but looks like he's hit the wall hard at the moment. Mackay doesn't have that luxury. A player who has no business being in our best 22 being a non-factor at best, or horrible at worst.

Context is everything, and context is not kind to a player like Mackay. Also, I would not throw that whole "understand the role of an outside player" here. He's been an anti-outside midfielder for the best part of his career. It's a valid comment for anyone who complained about Atkins though, he was a classic outside midfielder in every sense of the phrase.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haggis, and his coaches in U18 days did say they felt he had midfield potential once he matures.

Worth a crack, plus it gets Worrell in the side

You know that there's no chance of that. Our midfield will not change until injury requires. We won't even give more minutes to recruited mids let alone Rob our backline to do the same. Apart from Laird, who was obvious, the last time we chose to run a defender through the midfield woukd surely have been many, many years ago.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I don't want to sound like a crazy optimist, but watching the game again today there were a lot more positives than negatives.

We absolutely outplayed them for the vast majority of the game. Some extraordinary things happened - some pretty stunning skill errors and other mistakes - but overall I left it feeling okay with where we're going.

I don't mind losing games we clearly should have won to Hawthorn and Collingwood - they might regret those empty wins when draft position is being handed out.

Meanwhile, I like the fact that we play with a level of intensity that isn't typical of rebuilding sides. We're learning a lot currently, and I think it continues to put us in a good spot for 2022 and onwards.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't want to sound like a crazy pessimist, but watching the game again today there were a lot more positives than negatives.

We absolutely outplayed them for the vast majority of the game.

I don't mind losing games we clearly should have won to Hawthorn and Collingwood - they might regret those empty wins when draft position is being handed out.

Meanwhile, I like the fact that we play with a level of intensity that isn't typical of rebuilding sides. We're learning a lot currently, and I think it continues to put us in a good spot for 2022 and onwards.
I’d prefer to win the ones we clearly should have won,and lose the ones you would expect and put up a good performance.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I just find your posts incredibly stupid, illiterate and immature. Then again you chose a joke of a forum name that matches the quality of your posts, so no one should expect anything sensible or intelligent from you.
Thankyou for your kind comments Mr Lamb..

seems funny how all you are doing is attacking me, and others here I notice, instead of actually providing a alternative argument..

You know.. you could actually tell us where we are wrong about mackay and explain just exactly what it is he is providing at this point instead of ranting and raving about what profile name I have chosen..

but i guess attacking people and ranting and raving is all you’ve got left when it comes to defending your beloved david.. cant exactly point to his onfield perfomances to help you can you Mr Lamb..

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I’d prefer to win the ones we clearly should have won,and lose the ones you would expect and put up a good performance.
Maybe. Losing to clubs around us really advantages us and disadvantages them with draft pick position.

Then wins against really good sides shows what we're capable of in the future.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thankyou for your kind comments Mr Lamb..

seems funny how all you are doing is attacking me, and others here I notice, instead of actually providing a alternative argument..

You know.. you could actually tell us where we are wrong about mackay and explain just exactly what it is he is providing at this point instead of ranting and raving about what profile name I have chosen..

but i guess attacking people and ranting and raving is all you’ve got left when it comes to defending your beloved david.. cant exactly point to his onfield perfomances to help you can you Mr Lamb..
Hey I love the bearded clam......just not as much as I used too

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
It's dropped off the last few weeks (likely fatigue if anything), but still, it's rated as very good for midfielders by AFL stat standards at 68.7% KE for the year (it's just dropped from the elite 71% it was a fortnight ago).

I doubt it's a particular concern at this point in time, just likely another kid yearning for the bye.
Problem is he's playing very limited midfield minutes most games this season, so that midfield stat does not apply currently.

I get all that and clearly he’s been liked by all the coaches that can be disputed, so he must be doing something that most of us can’t see?
Can anyone explain it?
It’s not reflected in stats, nor in brownlow votes or best and fairest results.
It's like some trade secret. All we ever hear is "8 coaches have picked him so he must be good". Yet that's always as far as the defence goes. No one who trots out the coach defence can ever actually explain what he brings and why it's valuable in an AFL side, or even what they see in him without using abstract terms like experience or preparation or professionalism. Just that he keeps getting played so it must be something.

At this stage it's like the monkey ladder experiment. He's getting picked because he's always been picked.

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
gallucci: first round pick bust
jones: first round pick bust
b crouch: not here anymore. should of pushed the bulldogs for their pick 11 but roo and kelly were all talk no action.
m crouch: been injured all year and prolly wont be here next year. not an elite player regardless
poholke: garbage, delisted
lyons: traded for a packet of chips, better than keays
bryce gibbs: gave up 2 first rounders for a slow 29 year old. terrible decision

absolute dogshit recruiting and list management.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
b crouch: not here anymore
m crouch: been injured all year and prolly wont be here next year. not an elite player regardless

Not calling Jones a bust, Gallucci was Pyke's choice, players leaving, players traded for unders and developed better at other clubs and misses with late picks....looks like any others clubs recruiting and list management?

b crouch: not here anymore. should of pushed the bulldogs for their pick 11 but roo and kelly were all talk no action.
bryce gibbs: gave up 2 first rounders for a slow 29 year old. terrible decision

What's this got to do with this GBU thread?

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not calling Jones a bust, Gallucci was Pyke's choice, players leaving, players traded for unders and developed better at other clubs and misses with late picks....looks like any others clubs recruiting and list management?
jones is a but because he's no where near a top 10 pick.

Back