Unofficial Preview Changes v North Melbourne after the bye?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Henry Smith was a forward who rucked. Like Big O/Daniher. Although now Oscar is the Primary ruck.
Lane from what I read so far seems a ruck who can play forward like Archie is.
Fullarton and Ballenden I say more flankers who can ruck a little. Both not really focal KPP or someone you have as first ruck. Although both have when needed. Ballenden be the better mark of the two.

I thought Henry Smith was a forward who rucked. Like Big O/Daniher. Although now Oscar is the Primary ruck.
Fullarton and Ballenden I say more flankers who can ruck a little. Both not really focal KPP or someone you have as first ruck. Although both have when needed. Ballenden be the better mark of the two.

Except Archie can’t play forward...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have this neighbour who donates half his wealth to the poor kiddies in Africa; volunteers as a surf lifesaver and helps little old biddies across the road, so I happily overlook the three or four times a year he sets fire to kittens.
Didn't realise you moved to Manly.

On Zorko, the clip on the AFL site doesn’t show the minute before the incident. McDonald chased Zorko, pushed him in the back forcing Zorko to the ground. In front of the umpire and no call. No wonder the bloke gets frustrated.
This is spot on and no mention on the coverage or since. Umpire does
his job and the incident never happens.

Just on the bolded.

We didn’t run out of legs because they were faster.

We ran out of legs because our mids spent so much energy in the first half. And more importantly, we didn’t have the flankers, particularly back flankers to support the midfield.

If we’re going to play at that intensity, we need 3 midfielders on the bench to rotate with the starting mids, with one mid resting forward on occasion.

And we need back flankers with stamina and speed, who can push up the ground and help the midfield.

That’s where Rich and Birchall, and to a lesser extent Ah Chee, let such a game plan down.

Replace Birchall and Ah Chee with Prior and Madden. Replace Coleman with Rayner. And have JBerry, Robertson and Bailey (with Madden) on the bench.

And we “might” have the team to play that intensity for the whole game.

But we need to live with players like Lyons or Mathieson, not having the tank to be able to run defensively the whole game.

Ah Chee is fit bro, lol. Could easily play wing.

This is spot on and no mention on the coverage or since. Umpire does
his job and the incident never happens.
Does it matter tho? McDonald was a dick and pushed him to the group. Should have been a free but wasn't, that sort of stuff is very common during games. Zorko hit him in the head deliberatly ...

Does it matter tho? McDonald was a dick and pushed him to the group. Should have been a free but wasn't, that sort of stuff is very common during games. Zorko hit him in the head deliberatly ...
Yeah I think it matters-pushes him in the back, to the ground, 100 meters off the ball. How does the umpire come to the conclusion that’s all good? No wonder Zorko pissed, how frustrating knowing the umpire watching and decided for no good reason on this occasion that’s ok....

Players get shoved every game. Hitting someone in the face is no way to react.
Exactly. Zorko reacted with a hit to the face after a shove from behind, yet Lachie Neale cops a hard tag where he goes through far worse and is smart enough to hold his nerve.

Ah Chee is fit bro, lol. Could easily play wing.
Yes he could, but who are you going to leave out in favour of Ah Chee, if we were to try playing at that high an intensity for a whole game.

Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
Prior, Adams, Rich

Robinson, Lyons, McCluggage
McInerney, Neale, Zorko

McCarthy, Hipwood, Rayner
McStay, Daniher, Cameron

Madden, JBerry, Robertson, Bailey.

Yes he could, but who are you going to leave out in favour of Ah Chee, if we were to try playing at that high an intensity for a whole game.

Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
Prior, Adams, Rich

Robinson, Lyons, McCluggage
McInerney, Neale, Zorko

McCarthy, Hipwood, Rayner
McStay, Daniher, Cameron

Madden, JBerry, Robertson, Bailey.

You've just said he lets the gameplan down. We don't use him in the Rich/Birch role when he's down back. It's just an odd statement that doesn't really make sense.

Hypothetically, if we wanted to use Ah Chee around the ball more I'd play him over Coleman as a HFF and keep him up around forward half stoppages. If we wanted to keep Coleman as the HFF, I'd run Ah Chee as the wingman in lieu of Prior and have him stay around stoppages. I'm not sure he'd be as good at defensive running as Prior without seeing him do it, but he's got the tank to do it if needed.

When he was moved forward, his impact around the stoppages. In his last game up forward, he had more pressure acts than any other forward, kicked a goal, had six tackles and six score assists (including two goal assists). He was a victim of circumstance in having to move back.

I do like developing Coleman up forward, but he has nowhere near the impact around stoppages as Ah Chee at this stage. He even struggled to impact stoppages in the NEAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he kicked a nice goal yesterday.
Archie a mystery to me very up and down. His best is good you just do not see it all the time.

Given the loss of his brother, I can imagine it would be incredibly difficult to work any job let alone a game of footy.

You've just said he lets the gameplan down. We don't use him in the Rich/Birch role when he's down back. It's just an odd statement that doesn't really make sense.

Hypothetically, if we wanted to use Ah Chee around the ball more I'd play him over Coleman as a HFF and keep him up around forward half stoppages. If we wanted to keep Coleman as the HFF, I'd run Ah Chee as the wingman in lieu of Prior and have him stay around stoppages. I'm not sure he'd be as good at defensive running as Prior without seeing him do it, but he's got the tank to do it if needed.

When he was moved forward, his impact around the stoppages. In his last game up forward, he had more pressure acts than any other forward, kicked a goal, had six tackles and six score assists (including two goal assists). He was a victim of circumstance in having to move back.

I do like developing Coleman up forward, but he has nowhere near the impact around stoppages as Ah Chee at this stage. He even struggled to impact stoppages in the NEAFL.
I don't think Coleman or Prior even given that they're younger are near Ah Chee's level as yet.

Ah Chee should be in the forward line or play wing if required.

When people put up their preferred team that's cool but it's also presuming no injuries.

We just saw three Freo players go down in 10 minutes.

Ah Chee is very versatile , someone worth having on your list.

Besides which Robbo only has a year left I'd imagine , J Berry to me still has a way to go to strike any form , Rayner still has to come back at a reliable level , Gardiner has what looks like an ongoing shoulder issue ,Prior looks really good to me but who knows , you could go on and on.

Man this place turns on itself after losses.

Everyone searching for the hot take.

tenor.gif

I think they will bring in Tom Berry for Zorks. With Neale being back I can't see them bringing in a full time mid like Matho or Joyce, think they will go for the versatile and zippy option of T.Berry. Zorks is the best pressure player on our list and Tommy Berry is a like for like.

Out: Zorko, Frog
In: Tom Berry, Madden

Last edited:
Out Daniher. In Archie Smith. Then we've got one guy who can ruck and Oscar can play the deep forward role.
Out Kiddy. In Tom Berry.....just more intensity.
Madden and Payne in for Birch and Froggy.
Matho out. Tom Joyce in....Just because I really want to see this kid play at the top level. We all know Matho's game but Joyce offers much more.
I Changed my mind

Out Daniher, in Archie.
Madden and Payne in for Birch and Frog
Kiddy out, McFadyen in.
Matho out, Joyce in.

On Zorko, the clip on the AFL site doesn’t show the minute before the incident. McDonald chased Zorko, pushed him in the back forcing Zorko to the ground. In front of the umpire and no call. No wonder the bloke gets frustrated.

I agree here. He in fact got knocked over / banged into 2/3 times in space of 30 metres and well off the ball. The umpire actually paid the free to Zorks but then reversed it and reported him when he struck McDonald - more of a love tap really. It was so bad McDonald was laughing.

Zorko needs to just be better in these situations we all know that but again off the ball stuff that is a blight on the game. McDonald is lucky he wasn't playing 30 years ago because he would have been carted off the ground.

I agree here. He in fact got knocked over / banged into 2/3 times in space of 30 metres and well off the ball. The umpire actually paid the free to Zorks but then reversed it and reported him when he struck McDonald - more of a love tap really. It was so bad McDonald was laughing.

Zorko needs to just be better in these situations we all know that but again off the ball stuff that is a blight on the game. McDonald is lucky he wasn't playing 30 years ago because he would have been carted off the ground.
And to be clear, I am not completely exonerating Zorko, just trying to provide some balance to some of the more over the top character attacks. Perhaps Zorko has made a rod for his back with his behaviour over his career and the umpires are now blind to some of the off the ball attention he receives every game. However if he was a “protected species”, he would have received the earlier free kick and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

has a heart as big as himself, does Zorko.

Nice summary of the way I see it. I think HSmith has great potential, but i think he needs at least another years development before he is considered for selection.

And unfortunately, for Archie he really doesn’t offer a lot as arresting forward. First ruck or bust.

And to be clear, I am not completely exonerating Zorko, just trying to provide some balance to some of the more over the top character attacks. Perhaps Zorko has made a rod for his back with his behaviour over his career and the umpires are now blind to some of the off the ball attention he receives every game. However if he was a “protected species”, he would have received the earlier free kick and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

has a heart as big as himself, does Zorko.

Can you imagine if Dusty or Pendlebury was knocked over like Zorko was other night by McDonald - they wouldn't have waited for the third incident before awarding a free kick. I remember saying at the time to my son thats 3 times McDonald has blocked Zorks path. 3 umpires on the ground who can see Oscar brushing a Dees players head and paying it down field but they had to wait for the 3rd time Zorks was blocked - knocked down before paying a free kick - unfortunately Zorks lost it and it got reversed and he is now suspended.

As captain he needs to be better and it cost us a goal and momentum and now it will cost him a week.

I though the Melbourne player who ran straight past the ball to smash into Rich was actually a few worst incident.

As for the North game - I think Berry if fit needs at least a game in reserves first. Neale - Lyons and Dev Robertson in the middle with Matho on the bench replacing Zorko. Madden for the injured Lester.

Hope the game is in Melbourne with crowds but thats looking highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back