Autopsy 'Tis but a scratch - injury time -v- Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Now that I've cooled off.

- I thought Acres was good. He was given a role in the ruck and was quite handy at it, beat their ruckman on occasion, showed some physical pressure at the contest, and helped us get a few good clearances. Both good coaching and good work from the player.
- Lobb wasn't as bad as people thought on lead, but was much worse kicking for goal. But ultimately there was too little ground level support for our forwards.
- Darcy was immense and he has the same problem as Sandilands—we don't get the most use out of his ruck dominance. His injury will hurt.
- Fyfe in the third was what almost got us the lead. Superb footballer. His injury will also hurt.
- Cox had a great return to form after a bad game against Port. His injury ... as above.
- Henry and Treacy had not quite break out games. Sadly I think our chances of having better performances this season are disappearing before our eyes, so their ability to have true break out games may not happen this year.
- I understand the reasons behind teaching Serong how to be defensive, but sometimes you have to let your best players loose. With the injury to Fyfe he's probably going to be given a bigger role in the middle. Hopefully his short apprenticeship as tagger has matured him even further.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
As usual, lacked class but tried our absolute hearts out. Injuries did us in the end (obviously).

Put a line through the season and start again next year with plenty of prayers between now and then - the footy gods ******* hate us!
Why will they like us next year ?

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the downside that’s the worst game I’ve ever seen Walters play. He’s devoid of confidence.
I think the reality is that if you're over 30 and have an injury in preseason you chances of having a good season are quite poor. While I feel he's still got a lot of good footy in him, he's closer to the end than we'd like.

We are currently botching together a team to try and be competitive and managed to get within a sniff of the second best side this year.

Not terrible. Need Lobb to sort out his goal kicking.

Treacy needs an extension. What a great game from the young man. That mark from the Fyfe kick was so crisp. Even my three year old was going "OOOoo Taberner mum"

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's not alone there. Crowden had a better game tonight than Schultz but you can raffle him, Schultz, Colyer and Switkowski and not really get any variance. One of them will usually have a good game while the others struggle.

Walters having a bad season and Henry being young means we're struggling for anything at ground level. And it's not like we have elite key forwards to hit up on the lead.
Still plenty of potential improvement in Schultz, Switkwoski and (especially) Crowden. None of them have played a huge amount of footy (all yet to reach 50 games). He needs to get it more, but it's a good feeling when Crowden gets a few centimetres of space anywhere between the centre and half forward. He's got a great read from there and an incisive kick on him to boot.

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still plenty of potential improvement in Schultz, Switkwoski and (especially) Crowden. None of them have played a huge amount of footy (all yet to reach 50 games). He needs to get it more, but it's a good feeling when Crowden gets a few centimetres of space anywhere between the centre and half forward. He's got a great read from there and an incisive kick on him to boot.
Each has potential but I don't see a spot for all three in a side that wants to make top four.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Is there a rule where you can get a mid-season priority pick if the only fit player on your list over 6 foot tall thinks it’s a good idea to try a shot around the corner from 20m out at a slight angle.

Asking for a friend..
It's not so much choosing that kick (which I agree is a terrible idea) but it's the woeful execution. Truth is that Lobb is delivering what he promises. A couple of marks, a few kicks and about a goal per game.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
It's funny, that was the first game I've been to live in a while and for some reason I came away feeling more negative than the general tone I'm reading on here. Maybe the seats being less comfy than the couch is why regular attendees are so grumpy on here all the time?

At the game all I could focus on was how we couldn't pick through their zone at all, yet as soon as they had a kick in they would hit a man all on his own 60m out on the boundary every time, then whisk it down the other end in seconds.

And all night I felt like they simultaneously dominated us in the air and had the numbers at ground level with their crumbers always in the right spot.

And speaking of the air... how f**king bad at running under the ball is Lobb? It was like he'd never played footy before and had no idea how to judge the flight of the ball.

And again it might have been the different view I got live, but the umpiring just seemed completely bizarre all night. We got a few our way but the balance seemed to go with the Dogs and it felt like they got a heap of easy goals just handed to them... and often at crucial times just when we were getting close.

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not so much choosing that kick (which I agree is a terrible idea) but it's the woeful execution. Truth is that Lobb is delivering what he promises. A couple of marks, a few kicks and about a goal per game.
Yeah I think the sad fact of the matter is we're expecting too much from someone whose best position is a floating utility / second ruck who drifts up forward to stretch opposition defences and occasionally plucks a mark and goals.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can someone remember properly what happened near the start of the last, when I think it was Dale ran the ball out of defence after Treacy kicked a point. He dodged a tackle and I swear he ran about 40m without bouncing the ball. But there is a good chance I could have been blinded by rage. I nearly broke my seat at the ground. Then it went forward and ended with Wilson's meltdown (which looked like a handball to me before he was pinged, at least by Bulldogs standards).

Can someone remember properly what happened near the start of the last, when I think it was Dale ran the ball out of defence after Treacy kicked a point. He dodged a tackle and I swear he ran about 40m without bouncing the ball. But there is a good chance I could have been blinded by rage. I nearly broke my seat at the ground. Then it went forward and ended with Wilson's meltdown (which looked like a handball to me before he was pinged, at least by Bulldogs standards).
I’d have to rewatch but I believe he literally ran from the edge of the goal square to the 50m line, it was blatantly too far

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
It's funny, that was the first game I've been to live in a while and for some reason I came away feeling more negative than the general tone I'm reading on here. Maybe the seats being less comfy than the couch is why regular attendees are so grumpy on here all the time?

At the game all I could focus on was how we couldn't pick through their zone at all, yet as soon as they had a kick in they would hit a man all on his own 60m out on the boundary every time, then whisk it down the other end in seconds.

And all night I felt like they simultaneously dominated us in the air and had the numbers at ground level with their crumbers always in the right spot.

And speaking of the air... how f**king bad at running under the ball is Lobb? It was like he'd never played footy before and had no idea how to judge the flight of the ball.

And again it might have been the different view I got live, but the umpiring just seemed completely bizarre all night. We got a few our way but the balance seemed to go with the Dogs and it felt like they got a heap of easy goals just handed to them... and often at crucial times just when we were getting close.
Oh, so you went to the game ey??
Well, that explains Hercules being off the boil, Razor Ray smiling all the time into the crowd, and the crushing injuries. I blame you leaving the couch for it all...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d have to rewatch but I believe he literally ran from the edge of the goal square to the 50m line, it was blatantly too far

That's what I thought as well, but it seems so wrong (how on earth can even the worst umpire miss that) that I was wondering. It might have even been close to 45-50m as he spun and ran sideways for part of it.

For me it was the key point in the game. Should have been shooting for goal to make it almost even, and with sliding doors then Fyfe maybe doesn't get injured. Maybe Cox, but I guess his hammy was just waiting to ping.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Oh, so you went to the game ey??
Well, that explains Hercules being off the boil, Razor Ray smiling all the time into the crowd, and the crushing injuries. I blame you leaving the couch for it all...

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll cop the first two, but the injuries...?

f654a6fea22a7a47233414f74edc721f.jpg

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
******* hell. We are injury luck, an elite small forward and straight kicking away from being a very very good side. Henry is going to be special, as is Treacy. Not sure we're ever going to see our best 22 on the pitch all at once, which is a crying shame.

And I ******* hate the Bulldogs. Get more dick rides from the umps than the Eagles.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wilson definitely got a handball away and then the swooshing air of Wilson's hand in the proximate area must've disturbed Weightman's gonads enough to send him crumpling like a three year old.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
I think we got away with one there, some oddly accurate goal kicking and a couple lucky pocket goals vs dogs missing everything saved the belting

fight was better than it’s been

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Hard to say how we would have gone without injuries in the last quarter. I thought we were coming even if we were in luck with the Dogs very poor goalkicking, but Fyfe had a big 3rd quarter and Darcy had been rested up on the bench for a spell to have the tank for a big last quarter.

Wilson got a bad run with the umps after giving away 50m. Could have been high, and wasn't incorrect disposal. Don't begrudge the decision and the 50 was there, but how the hell couldn't the umps give him a holding the ball decision when he spun English around 540 degrees and the ball drops to the ground and then the soft free kick on to Hannan in a marking contest between the goal and point post. Other than that Wilson played pretty well.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Gents -

Good game, was nervous throughout the whole game except the 4th qtr when the injuries happened. Fyfe was really starting to turn it on, which was awesome (don't really watch many Freo games tbh)

Absolutely bs and you guys would've taken it to the last 10 seconds if it wasn't for the injuries.

Might not be your year this year, but you guys have a bright future ahead. Decent club and pretty good supporters

Good luck with the rest of the season

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
Wilson definitely got a handball away and then the swooshing air of Wilson's hand in the proximate area must've disturbed Weightman's gonads enough to send him crumpling like a three year old.

Well, there was definitely Wilson's hand.
And then there were definitely balls, that were hit by Wilson's hand.

But there was no hand ball.

Try explaining the AFL game to an alien from outer space... 👽

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
“Luck with Fremantle's injuries probably balanced out horrendous umpiring luck. God I hate Razor pandering to the home crowd. Narcissistic showmen don't make great umpires for a reason.”

they actually believe this bullshit

Having been to last night's game and tonight's, Footscray are so far off Richmond it makes me laugh. Pretenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back