Autopsy 'Tis but a scratch - injury time -v- Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Some really good signs that we are on the right path. If we continue to work on our goal kicking and skills we will be a finals side and that's exciting. Add development into our younger players and some trades at the end of the year and we could be a top 4 side.

What do people think of using Serong as a run with opponent. I thought last year it was good when he was matched up on some of the big name players in the comp and won his own share of the ball, but of late the jobs he's been given jobs on the likes of Merritt and Liberatore.

Its probably not a strict tagging only job and he kicked the first goal for us, but what's the purpose of it? Is it to teach him defensive aspects of the game?

I'd rather our opponents be more worried about what Serong is going to do and leave the tagging to a player like Blakely.

What do people think of using Serong as a run with opponent. I thought last year it was good when he was matched up on some of the big name players in the comp and won his own share of the ball, but of late the jobs he's been given jobs on the likes of Merritt and Liberatore.

Its probably not a strict tagging only job and he kicked the first goal for us, but what's the purpose of it? Is it to teach him defensive aspects of the game?

I'd rather our opponents be more worried about what Serong is going to do and leave the tagging to a player like Blakely.
Reckon it's a waste of time personally. I think he's fine defensively.

Would like to see what he could achieve with a 70:30 or 60:40 mid:fwd role.

Think he’s doing a lot offensively. He was down on production early in the season. Burn out or fitness issues. But believe having the tagging role helps him to be more accountable. Don’t forget he’s only in his second year. He can learn so much from running with Liberatore, Cripps, Bonts.
He has 18 disposals tonight, about par of his recent production.

Just watching the highlights again
******* Chamberlain.

before Wilson whacks Weightman in the Jatz, he gets his head ripped off and also gets a clear hand ball out when tackled. The stupid midget couldn’t wait to pay htb
It was amateurish. He handballed the ball, never was in danger in terms of well tackled. Honestly the crap umpires are letting go and penalising in terms of holding the ball/ prior this season is rubbish

Think he’s doing a lot offensively. He was down on production early in the season. Burn out or fitness issues. But believe having the tagging role helps him to be more accountable. Don’t forget he’s only in his second year. He can learn so much from running with Liberatore, Cripps, Bonts.
He has 18 disposals tonight, about par of his recent production.

Yeah, I like this. Serong is gonna be a gun and he's barely out of his mother's womb. Nothing wrong with some time following some of the greats and learning a thing or two. I think he'll be better for it. And let's all take a breather and think about how this game could have gone. We could have gotten our asses handed to us by a top 2 side and instead we were toe to toe with them for most of the game before the wheels came off (way to create more injuries, Jason Weber, you w***er! lol). Remember all those huge losses the last couple years were we get spanked by 10 goals? Besided the WC loss (ouch), I don't think I've felt like we were in over our heads too many times this year. Yes, this loss sucked, but we are missing soooooooooo many players. I know, I know, "Injuries are not an excuse." Well, in my book, they are. When you have Watson and Duman and Blakely (and Acres, ugh, please get that guy out of here), and the rest of the second tier players out there, what do you expect? Tabs, Pierce, Sturt, Hamling, Young, Chapman, Fredrick, Cox, Fyfe, Darcy, ARRRGH.

Anyway, all things are grey in Camp Freo tonight, but Henry and the Cyclone and the glimpses of goodness give me hope. Let's enjoy the season for what it is.

We still make so many bad skill errors, our handballs are really bad (always are). Fyfe handballs behind Mundy who was running towards 50 and ball goes the other way..
What's worse with our skill errors is the majority of them are when we are going forward.

Lobb going for the snap 20m out and kicking it out on the full was just plain embarrassing.

Trade table you do
Seriously don’t know what to do about Lobb.
Firstly he is not developing. He is 28. DEVELOPED.
What you see is that you get. If anything he’s likely to start declining in performance after next year.
Looking long term - how could you trust a guy like that in a serious game? He is an utter liability in front of goal. The play in the lead up to this third quarter mark 20m out was exquisite by the dockers. One of the best passages of play I’ve seen by any team this season.
Then Lobb balloons the ball out on the full from less than 20m out with a stupid round the corner.
Sweet suffering Jesus.
Can you imagine how demoralising that was for the rest of the team to watch?
Crowden and Cerra were high diving before he took the shot coz it was a brilliant piece of transition footy.
Then that.
I’d trade him for a second rounder to get the likes of Rhett Bazzo But who in earth would take on his outrageous salary?
We are totally snookered here.

Seriously don’t know what to do about Lobb.
Firstly he is not developing. He is 28. DEVELOPED.
What you see is that you get. If anything he’s likely to start declining in performance after next year.
Looking long term - how could you trust a guy like that in a serious game? He is an utter liability in front of goal. The play in the lead up to this third quarter mark 20m out was exquisite by the dockers. One of the best passages of play I’ve seen by any team this season.
Then Lobb balloons the ball out on the full from less than 20m out with a stupid round the corner.
Sweet suffering Jesus.
Can you imagine how demoralising that was for the rest of the team to watch?
Crowden and Cerra were high diving before he took the shot coz it was a brilliant piece of transition footy.
Then that.
I’d trade him for a second rounder to get the likes of Rhett Bazzo But who in earth would take on his outrageous salary?
We are totally snookered here.
He only has one year left so he could be traded as if he got 3/4 years you can spread the money out. We could only do it if we were sure we could bring in at least two 195cm+ forwards in the draft this year though.

I think he is still worth around 500k due to the rarity of decent fwd/rucks. As frustrating as he is, he is still better than 90% of them.

He only has one year left so he could be traded as if he got 3/4 years you can spread the money out. We could only do it if we were sure we could bring in at least two 195cm+ forwards in the draft this year though.

I think he is still worth around 500k due to the rarity of decent fwd/rucks. As frustrating as he is, he is still better than 90% of them.

Peter Wright was essentially free (draft capital), and I don’t think he’s on anywhere near the same wage. The problem was he’s a returning Victorian. We targeted the wrong bloke and paid handsomely both in salary cap and draft capital. I actually don’t mind Lobb, fit and firing he can be part of a very good forward line. But he’s not the number one target. His % lost of one of one’s is through the roof. The number of times he’s targeted which doesn’t result in a score is ludicrous. He even got a Bronx cheer yesterday when he marked one. If Taberner was fit and firing he’d have marked a lot, and kicked several goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have been at another game last night, all I saw was a bunch of blokes in purple chasing a really well structured group of speed machines. The dogs positioning around the contest was way beyond anything we could counter and their transition was fast with multiple options. Their forward efficiency was so far in front of ours it was laughable and the way their forwards attacked the ball to ours was chalk to cheese. The bullies are a well drilled side and to be honest the score line was flattering our way. I’m still waiting on “Young Henry” to show physicality and his second attempts need a lot of work but I agree the signs are positive. Treacy is a find. As for the turnovers inside their F50 ug, but I’ll be there next week to probably more of the same with an once of expectation at a glimpse of what a new group of debutants can offer.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

That ended up being a decent effort under extreme injury duress. We could have been annihilated if not for some real ticker shown by the boys in the final quarter. Getting 2 goals late in the final quarter after the injury crisis was commendable.

While the effort was great the skills were just the opposite. Regardless of Lobb's preference for his schoolboy round the corner kicks on goal the team takes precedence once the rest of the team has worked their guts out to get the ball to him and he must be told to kick the ball straight at the goals.

Treacy with three goals was very good and Liam Henry not too bad either. Best games by them both in a loosing cause is a good sign.

The standard of umpiring inconsistency in the AFL is baffling to say the least.

Adam Cerra may have good skills and poise but has he ever received a bruise? I thought he needed to step up a lot more than he did last night. Just my opinion as a very disappointed onlooker of last nights game.

Peter Wright was essentially free (draft capital), and I don’t think he’s on anywhere near the same wage. The problem was he’s a returning Victorian. We targeted the wrong bloke and paid handsomely both in salary cap and draft capital. I actually don’t mind Lobb, fit and firing he can be part of a very good forward line. But he’s not the number one target. His % lost of one of one’s is through the roof. The number of times he’s targeted which doesn’t result in a score is ludicrous. He even got a Bronx cheer yesterday when he marked one. If Taberner was fit and firing he’d have marked a lot, and kicked several goals.
Wright was on massive coin, I think they reported 600k, hence the minimal trade cost.

It's funny, that was the first game I've been to live in a while and for some reason I came away feeling more negative than the general tone I'm reading on here. Maybe the seats being less comfy than the couch is why regular attendees are so grumpy on here all the time?

At the game all I could focus on was how we couldn't pick through their zone at all, yet as soon as they had a kick in they would hit a man all on his own 60m out on the boundary every time, then whisk it down the other end in seconds.

And all night I felt like they simultaneously dominated us in the air and had the numbers at ground level with their crumbers always in the right spot.

And speaking of the air... how f**king bad at running under the ball is Lobb? It was like he'd never played footy before and had no idea how to judge the flight of the ball.

And again it might have been the different view I got live, but the umpiring just seemed completely bizarre all night. We got a few our way but the balance seemed to go with the Dogs and it felt like they got a heap of easy goals just handed to them... and often at crucial times just when we were getting close.
Lobb was ridiculous. The guy is completely devoid of confidence. I feel like it's all mental with him. What are the coaches saying to him?
The worst part is he won’t be dropped to find form at Peel.
I suggested Meek playing, or tried in other positions, but after 4 AFL games he is pigeonholed as backup ruck.
Having Meek patrol down back, Darcy forward, two big bodies may have worked short term. Until the calvary arrived.
I also wanted Darcy resting, play two rucks to help Darcy.
Won’t be surprised to see Meek poached right under our nose.

Lobb is mentally weak. That’s not going to change. He’s 28 now. It might be painful and not good in the short term for team relays say next year, but we need to find a way of moving on from him and replacing him in the coming year.
Treacy is 100 times more trustworthy already and he hasn’t even turned 19 yet.
If we got Van Rooyen or Williams (or better still both) and were able to build a forward line of Tabs, Treacy, VanRooyen/Williams for 2022-2026, we’d be much better off in the long run after a couple of years.

Lobb is mentally weak. That’s not going to change. He’s 28 now. It might be painful and not good in the short term for team relays say next year, but we need to find a way of moving on from him and replacing him in the coming year.
Treacy is 100 times more trustworthy already and he hasn’t even turned 19 yet.
If we got Van Rooyen or Williams (or better still both) and were able to build a forward line of Tabs, Treacy, VanRooyen/Williams for 2022-2026, we’d be much better off in the long run after a couple of years.
The beauty of Williams is that he has played all down the spine.
An Oscar Allen type of player has to be on the radar.
It’s just not just forward we need cover, I like Cox and Logue, but as the 2nd or 3rd defender.
Both could be more offensive with a lock down defender taking the best tall.
It should be Pearce or Hamling but how do you plan for that?

I think that on reflection in the cold hard light if day, we're doing a lot of things right and a few important, basic things very poorly. Lobb dropping a lot of marks is nowhere near as bad as Lobb not even making a contest, missing shots on goal isn't as bad as not having the shot to take. But at the moment we're like a batsman hitting them well in the nets or a golfer smashing it on the range. It does feel like our lot in life to be our own worst enemy. As a club we don't seem to have the necessary belief to win. We have hope, but that's not good enough.

We should snag say pick 30-49 for Lobb. I'd take it for sure. That set shot should be shown overseas. I couldn't believe my eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back