Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All the talk in the Jacob Edwards thread got me thinking. The BF North Board is just ready to explode with a myriad of food ideas, inspired from our high school canteens, out time spent in share houses, batchelor days, post footy binges in kebab and pizza shops or KFC on the drive home to woop-woop.

We have had steam dimmies in buttered rolls, sausage rolls in buttered rolls and my school canteen specialty - it was sausages and mashed potatos. The thoughtful plating by the canteen ladies was to arrange the sausage thoughtfully between the two neatly rounded scoops of mashed potato so that students carryng the plate to the table wouldn't have a mishap caused by their sausage rolling off onto the floor. Now we all know that a sausage has a natural bend (some more than others of course) so this wasn't really that likely, but the serving style earned our favourite cooked lunch a humurous double entendre nick-name. The crowning glory was when the canteen lady would ask, "do you want gravy with that?".

On Fridays, to ensure that the catholics kids were not breaking any mortal sins (and therefore, to protect them from being condemned to eternity spent in purgatory) the sausages, which allegedly contained meat were not available. Instead, we could have a saveloy in a bun as the cooked lunch option. There may have been some logic to this (from the meat perspective) but I never worked it out. Even if a sav contained only lips, teats and aresholes, these were still of animal origin and in my opinion, they had to qualify as "meat". Maybe somebody here knows more about this than I do?

1622979021786.png

Last edited:
My first scout camp - day 1, my patrol got to do cooking duty. We were pretty happy about that - especially as the worst possible job was doing latrine duty and we avoided it.

Scout master puts a stack of vegies and a chunk of meat on the bench - make an irish stew!!!

We boiled up the meat, carrots and peas. And the potatos were mashed. This stew was pretty aweful as it lacked hilly 's suggested seasoning - it was morelike boiled meat and vegies, scooped out onto a plate with mashed potatos.

Anyway, the next day, some other patrol got to do the cooking and the scout master decided that they should "fix" up the leftover stew. In go some more vegies, some salt, pepper and whatever. It may have tastd better - a day in the pot with no fridge probably didn't help.

Night three - a bit of a top-up, add a bit of meat and some more carrots - this stew was like the magic pudding.

Day four - home day. My patrol got the job of filling in the latrine ditch and packing away the camp toilet.

Did a slow 6 hour slow cooked 2kg beef brisket(red wine, pasata sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper, smoked parika, oregano, onions, garlic) today. Around 20 min prep time, not that hard, just need a good quality cut of meat. Put meat in the oven around midday, turning over every 2hours. Last 30 mins took lid off to get that nice colour. Then left it rest for an hour whilst roasting some vegies.
No complaints from anyone. Nothing beats a slow roast on a slow sunday in lockdown town...Plenty leftover so tomorrow will buy some ciabatta rolls, warm meat up and chop up some coleslaw.

Love a slow cooker meat . Or even a fast cooked meat in cooker we won back when I was Australian champion for two nights on Family Feud . The halcyon days aye . A young fella came up to me at the shops and said were you on FF last night . I offered him an autograph , he ran back to his mum , it was weird .

anyways for a treat I make homemade KFC, it’s actually wonderful and a much better option . Dice up some chicken thighs and marinate in buttermilk overnight .
Gordon Ramsay recipe it’s on the YouTube’s for this that are interested.

Love a slow cooker meat . Or even a fast cooked meat in cooker we won back when I was Australian champion for two nights on Family Feud . The halcyon days aye . A young fella came up to me at the shops and said were you on FF last night . I offered him an autograph , he ran back to his mum , it was weird .

anyways for a treat I make homemade KFC, it’s actually wonderful and a much better option . Dice up some chicken thighs and marinate in buttermilk overnight .
Gordon Ramsay recipe it’s on the YouTube’s for this that are interested.
e96f4d07e02be67fce0302330fd271a3.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Did a slow 6 hour slow cooked 2kg beef brisket(red wine, pasata sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper, smoked parika, oregano, onions, garlic) today. Around 20 min prep time, not that hard, just need a good quality cut of meat. Put meat in the oven around midday, turning over every 2hours. Last 30 mins took lid off to get that nice colour. Then left it rest for an hour whilst roasting some vegies.
No complaints from anyone. Nothing beats a slow roast on a slow sunday in lockdown town...Plenty leftover so tomorrow will buy some ciabatta rolls, warm meat up and chop up some coleslaw.
Good quality beef roast is….?

Mention of kebab binges in the OP brings back fond memories of a kebab shop in Sydney I used to frequent that would put bacon on a kebab. Man it was good!

I may or may not have woken up a number of times in bed with a kebab wrapper... and no real recollection of how it ended up in my bed.

Pork crackling in a Weber Family Q is the best; can have it hot as to get the crackling first up and then turn it right down for a slow cook.
The baby q does a pretty good job too.

Pork crackling in a Weber Family Q is the best; can have it hot as to get the crackling first up and then turn it right down for a slow cook.

I'll get roasted for this but, the best crackling I've had is when I cooked my pork in the air fryer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't you part of a team?

Or was it a Dustin Martin type of effort on your part to keep Family Acurate on the podium for 2 nights?

Yes i was, my cousin and our now ex wives as well. Oh i wasn't flash tbh.

Although night one it was 0/195 and from memory you needed 200 to win. We pulled it out of the fire, a Gillette great moment of FF.

Yes i was, my cousin and our now ex wives as well. Oh i wasn't flash tbh.

Although night one it was 0/195 and from memory you needed 200 to win. We pulled it out of the fire, a Gillette great moment of FF.

Sounds like it was the beginning of the end?

TAO making out with Grundy TV groupies on a beanbag at the afterparty?

I didn't want to clog up the other threads with my queries but i just don't get the dim sims on a roll thing, why are they considered to be so good? The pics aren't flattering

Thread needs more food in a bread roll options.

Chips are pretty universal - a soft white bun is ideal, but I could also go the Vietnamese (French) style bagette chocked with chips from the local fish and chip shop. I was at one time astounded when I met a Belgian who put mayo on his chips. I can't quite go there, but garlic aioli is accepytable to me (I don't really like tomato sauce much).

We had thge dim sims and sausage rolls in buns. Chicken Schnitzel is a natural, like chips are. I reckon there would be some Chinese food that would suit the bun. Pizza? Maybe a soft and floppy pizza would be OK.

I didn't want to clog up the other threads with my queries but i just don't get the dim sims on a roll thing, why are they considered to be so good? The pics aren't flattering

Melted butter and soy sauce, combining with hot dim sims, encased in a soft bread roll. What's not to love?

Melted butter and soy sauce, combining with hot dim sims, encased in a soft bread roll. What's not to love?
Last dimmy I had was at the Prospect Hill Hotel in 1981 (when the licensing laws forced venues to serve food to stay open after 10PM). Probably seeing Models I'm guessing. In those days I could handle a fried dim sim. Not a steamed one though, especially with the soy sauce.

Thread needs more food in a bread roll options.

Chips are pretty universal - a soft white bun is ideal, but I could also go the Vietnamese (French) style bagette chocked with chips from the local fish and chip shop. I was at one time astounded when I met a Belgian who put mayo on his chips. I can't quite go there, but garlic aioli is accepytable to me (I don't really like tomato sauce much).

We had thge dim sims and sausage rolls in buns. Chicken Schnitzel is a natural, like chips are. I reckon there would be some Chinese food that would suit the bun. Pizza? Maybe a soft and floppy pizza would be OK.

A good Indian chicken curry with plenty of sauce, would go well in a bread roll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back