The most likely 2021 AFL Grand Final matchup

Remove this Banner Ad

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Halfway through season 2021, who are your teams that will feature in this year's Grand Final?

Dees vs Tigers is a likely scenario at this stage of the season. The two best teams of the season.
We haven’t been anywhere near the best side this year. The best sides have been dees, dogs, lions and cats although that doesn’t mean we can’t turn it around like we have the last few years. I reckon it all comes down to this week against your mob. Winner still has top 4 hopes while loser will finish bottom half of the 8.

Last edited:

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Melbourne vs Geelong or the Western Bulldogs is the most likely. But if Richmond make the top 4 I'll say Melbourne vs Richmond.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
Something like this.
Melbourne v Brisbane would be a good grand final.
Dogs and Dees meet in 1954 grand final. Wonder if Melbourne and Fitzroy ever did meet up in one of the early grand finals when Fitzroy were on 8 premierships.

A first would be the two oldest clubs in Australia meeting in a Grand Final for the first time.

Melbourne vs Geelong.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
So early in the season people were saying we haven't beaten anyone.
Now that we have, we are peaking too early.
I acknowledged my bias...takes a while for me to be convinced by teams on the rise. Same last year with Port. But I would be intrigued to know how many teams on top of the table at the end of May went on to win the premiership. Timing the run is crucial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Looking very ominous, I can't see them losing a game before the finals. 17-5, probably 5th maybe 4th. Still highly probable in the GF for mine
Melbourne will flake out if they meet tigs in a granny as will brizzy on the g come gf day.

Geelong no match on the g - port too flaky - eagles are finals fodder if we even make it as far as finals- sydney arent there yet.

im hoping dogs get there as at least we might get a good smash out of them.

Oct 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
So early in the season people were saying we haven't beaten anyone.
Now that we have, we are peaking too early.

Of coarse they are, and come September they'll be saying you haven't done it in finals.

Its human nature, it takes a leap of faith to believe in something you haven't seen happen and history says teams dont just go through the whole season dominating then win the GF.

Dont stress about it just enjoy the fact your up there and playing great footy.

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of coarse they are, and come September they'll be saying you haven't done it in finals.

Its human nature, it takes a leap of faith to believe in something you haven't seen happen and history says teams dont just go through the whole season dominating then win the GF.

Dont stress about it just enjoy the fact your up there and playing great footy.

I am.
It's a whole new experience.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lions and Tigers (and Bears), oh my.
Looking very ominous, I can't see them losing a game before the finals. 17-5, probably 5th maybe 4th. Still highly probable in the GF for mine

Are they? They've had 2 x 5 goal wins against no finals bound teams. I'm not saying that they are out of contention, but their form is hardly "ominous".

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
Are they? They've had 2 x 5 goal wins against no finals bound teams. I'm not saying that they are out of contention, but their form is hardly "ominous".
Depleted West Coast next week, Geelong and Brisbane both at the MCG are the only 3 games where they may face a challenge. Who's going to stop them?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depleted West Coast next week, Geelong and Brisbane both at the MCG are the only 3 games where they may face a challenge. Who's going to stop them?

I just don't think their form is "ominous". They were headed by Essendon in the last quarter and Adelaide also got within 9 points halfway through the last quarter the week before. Richmond were able to put the foot down but I hardly think their form is that great. Both Essendon and Adelaide won't play finals. I can't see Richmond making the top 4 either. Again I'm not saying that they are a spent force, but it is very difficult to win a GF from outside the top 4 and it will take all of their MCG advantage to help them this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back