Review Dogs def Freo 93-65 - Rd 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're onto something there D13.

Did you catch the line "It's so doggone easy to smile"? :eek:

It's all starting to make sense now...

View attachment 1149146

Unfortunately, like most Bomber's supporters, I have a short attention span and didn't make it that far :embarrassedv1:

A genuine question and not trying to be smart but what is it that he brings?
Closing speed is supposed to be good.

Just before he got injured this board was actually coming around to an acceptance that he may not be exactly what we want but he's the best we've got after Keath. First game back after a lengthy injury break and perhaps adapting to a slightly different defensive system (3 KPDs) we should cut him some slack.

I suggest we give him another game or two before writing him off (again).

Mate I was thinking the same , I can’t imagine tiger stopping at 90 mins, he would stop when he had accomplished the task.
So if I’m reading right, the player is not allowed to practice on his own in his own back yard to hone the skill ? A sham cause of I played I would employ a personal
Coach on my area of need abs pay for him Myself .
Would be hell climbing over the fence to get the ball all the time tho

Closing speed is supposed to be good.

Just before he got injured this board was actually coming around to an acceptance that he may not be exactly what we want but he's the best we've got after Keath. First game back after a lengthy injury break and perhaps adapting to a slightly different defensive system (3 KPDs) we should cut him some slack.

I suggest we give him another game or two before writing him off (again).

Agreed DW.

He was better in the second half compared to first half.

I actually think if he gets an uninterrupted run at playing for the next 11 weeks that he’ll be undisputed second kpd…

While not wanting to bag him, the issue is in most cases, his spoiling is terrible - doesn't even clear the area, which then heaps the pressure on. That and taking his own players out of the contest
If your one trick is being able to close down space and spoil. Then you better be bloody good at it.
Gardner is not. The defense of his play on this board borders on delusional at times. Yes he has improved and he doesn't pick himself so I'm not going to continue to denigrate the kid but gee does he look like a suburban footballer out there trying to hide.

If your one trick is being able to close down space and spoil. Then you better be bloody good at it.
Gardner is not. The defense of his play on this board borders on delusional at times. Yes he has improved and he doesn't pick himself so I'm not going to continue to denigrate the kid but gee does he look like a suburban footballer out there trying to hide.

Totally agree, dogs aren't winning finals or flags with him and Roarke in the side, no chance. Whilst Roarke wasn't the "worst" player yesterday, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any others who played the full game that did less than. Deer in headlights when he does get the ball.
Not sold on Hannan, but shows more than those two. Can Hannan play back? Couldnt be worse than Gards.

Totally agree, dogs aren't winning finals or flags with him and Roarke in the side, no chance. Whilst Roarke wasn't the "worst" player yesterday, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any others who played the full game that did less than. Deer in headlights when he does get the ball.
Not sold on Hannan, but shows more than those two. Can Hannan play back? Couldnt be worse than Gards.

In the ideal world there would be no injuries and Dunkley, Treloar, McLean, VDM, Jong and Wood are all available.

If the above this is the case I would say Roarke and even Hannan would not be picked but as a depth player I would say you would be hard pressed to find someone who can play a variety of roles and bring the effort and intensity Roarke does.

I always say its not the 22 that win finals and Grand Finals but the squad/list.

No one on this board is making him out to be the next Stephen Silvagni.

If anything the criticism of him (see: he looks like a Suburban footballer) borders on delusional. Kid has been on two AFL lists and so some people in the know obviously see enough in him to give him multiple chances. He's 24, has only played a handful of games and is showing improvement when he gets continuity. Long may it continue.

For those asking about a kicking coach, we don’t have one because the players have no allowed time “on feet” to practice goal kicking.

Each week the coaches are told how many minutes the team can be out on the oval actually training. It ranges anywhere from 60 mins to 180 mins PER WEEK and averages out during the season to around 90 mins per week. THATS IT and that includes goal kicking practice.

Players are not permitted to do extra training outside without club permission and if they do it’s counted to their “on feet” time.
That's less than we used to do in under 12s!

Any examples of posts that are delusional IM? I really can't recall seeing any.

I think most here - if not all - acknowledge he is pretty limited and is mainly getting games because, after Keath, we only have players at a similar level - Cordy and Young. His improvement trajectory is probably a tad better than those two so maybe MC think he has the best prospect of becoming the player who best fits our system? I really don't know.

Each brings something different and each have their weaknesses so it's never going to be an easy choice.

If we still had a player like Marcus Adams on the list I don't think Gardner would be getting a game (but Cordy might). My biggest fear is that Keath will be injured just before the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blasphemy, Kelvin is the greatest ive ever seen, a freak pre-knees

Chris Grant was pretty good until he got worn down by injuries and having to carry the team in the end.

Not as good as Carey and Ablett of course, but a much better bloke.

I used to watch opposition defenders bash the crap out of him and he would get up and keep going regardless, never whinged to the umpires like Carey did either. Absolutely my favourite dog player of all time.

For those asking about a kicking coach, we don’t have one because the players have no allowed time “on feet” to practice goal kicking.

Each week the coaches are told how many minutes the team can be out on the oval actually training. It ranges anywhere from 60 mins to 180 mins PER WEEK and averages out during the season to around 90 mins per week. THATS IT and that includes goal kicking practice.

Players are not permitted to do extra training outside without club permission and if they do it’s counted to their “on feet” time.

This sounds about right.

But it’s absolute horse s**t when we are failing to help a A grade forward talent get his eye in.

I’d shoot the sports scientists before the lawyers at the moment.

Poor Astro!

This sounds about right.

But it’s absolute horse sh*t when we are failing to help a A grade forward talent get his eye in.

I’d shoot the sports scientists before the lawyers at the moment.

Poor Astro!

It’s a league wide problem

Thats why the Aints couldn’t let Lloyd help King during season.

The PA are hot on clubs adhering to those mins also so not much clubs can do

Agree ,but hard to compare as Kelvin was often double and triple teamed due to playing in a sh*t team.
And Kelvin used to kick them from a long way out.Naughton is more like a Paul Roos type.Just Gold ..Can play any position and dominate that's why he is better.

Naughts definitely more exciting than Templeton ( and as his number 1 worshipper from 78-80 that’s saying something) for pure marking alone but would still take Kelvin -,and Simon - on reliability and quality output at the moment. Templeton’s 1980 Brownlow year as CHF would make Carey awestruck. Naughts still lots to learn ( and not just kicking) but geez that mark in the last was insane on the degree of difficulty scale ( might not be as high in the air as others this year but that last second reach out to the side was amazing)
He’s never out of the marking contest when he has a run up. I don’t think I’ve seen him make an unrealistic attempt yet.
Now Naughton in place of Groenewegen/Peart in 85 would have got us the premiership!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing he seems to bring is an ability to not effectively kill the ball when trying to spoil a contest.

I get fan loyalty and have been prone to irrationally defending players, coaches and the club in the face of the obvious. However, as a player I just can't do it with Gardner. In any clear eyed analysis of what he brings, one can only be left with the observation that he is a suburban footballer who is completely out of his depth. A player being carried by a team defence that is totally reliant on Alex Keaths broad shoulders. God help us if that one pillar falls. What does Gardner bring? An ability to lock down an opponent. Not really. Calmness with ball in hand. Not really. Aerial competence let alone dominance. Not really. Attacking flair. Not really.

He does have the ability to play well within himself though.

I'll be ecstatic if in time this post gets thrown back in my face, but by just about any objective measure you'd be hard pressed to do it right now.

There you go. I shot this boards Bambi.

Has not achieved premiership legend Fletcher Roberts level yet. That might be all we need from him.

Any examples of posts that are delusional IM? I really can't recall seeing any.

I think most here - if not all - acknowledge he is pretty limited and is mainly getting games because, after Keath, we only have players at a similar level - Cordy and Young. His improvement trajectory is probably a tad better than those two so maybe MC think he has the best prospect of becoming the player who best fits our system? I really don't know.

Each brings something different and each have their weaknesses so it's never going to be an easy choice.

If we still had a player like Marcus Adams on the list I don't think Gardner would be getting a game (but Cordy might). My biggest fear is that Keath will be injured just before the finals.
See the "I was wrong" thread from last year.

Agree with the rest of your post for the most part. Can elaborate but don't want to continue to single the kid out and pile on.

Far more worried several other aspects from last night anyway.
Glad we got the win despite all this though.

I’m so sick of the sports scientist rubbish about not doing extra kicking. Astro is a bloody superstar in the making who needs to have an extra 20/30 shots each night after practice under the eye of a watchful coach. I never played AFL at any meaningful level and I can still tell you having extra shots after practice can improve your in game set shot accuracy. And thats from practicing with mates on the oval on Tuesday and Thursday nights as a kid in the 80’s... I believe in the best medical advice as much as the next man - except for that piece of hocus pocus the sports scientists have hypnotised all the AFl clubs to buy into. Watch it change in 10 years again .....
Also, the best use of our soft cap at the moment could well be hiring Lloyd or similar. I get the restraints but the mental advantages of Astro kicking 4.2 instead of 1.5 can’t be overestimated in winning games. Let alone the actual scoreboard pressure.

Beasley ran two laps of the oval when he arrived from his office after 5 on a Thursday training night, did some team drills as a leading forward target and then took shots at goals for the rest of the night. I watched him as a teenager every week at training. How times change.

The bloke can mark like this! Just ridiculously good readjustment ball sense mid air. It would be unconscionable not to back this up by investing in a kicking coach ....View attachment 1149054

That’s a better photo than the video of it. Bloody freakish.

Grant and Johnno also made a habit of kicking points after hangers - but at least they kicked goals from their bread and butter marks!

About 30 seconds beforehand - Bont got a free for it.

Yep the below the knee has been nonexistent this year until yesterday. And JJ had the ball before impact. Bont’s free was BS too. Hate the rule.

Umpiring was crap both ways yesterday. Too many times was I pleading for the ump to pay dropping the ball AGAINST us they were so obviously wrong at times.

Didn’t realise we were so bad. Lucky for us we racked up those 10 wins before the bye. Might just be enough to get us into another EF.
Point to exactly where I said we are a bad team.

And also point out to which one of those statements is factually incorrect.

I simply don't want to see us become the new Port/Geelong and destroy weak sides but lose to the other good sides over and over and over on their day and in finals.

If we go out in straight sets with this list I'll cry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back