Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be really interesting to see what the Marvel Stadium redevelopment has in store for us.

Unfortunately the AFL and stadium have provided us a lack of detail about their plans so we’re none the wiser. It would be a missed opportunity if they spend over $200M and did t deliver something of a much more superior nature all round.

The details have been released for a while now:

The upgrade is just for the exterior and concourses, not the inside of the stadium itself

Collingwood v Adelaide = 30,446 @ Adelaide Oval

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Weird
It felt larger than the Melbourne game (31,373)
I know they vacated the front 2 rows of the entire stadium, but the 3 main blocks of empty seats at the Melbourne game had consideribly more people.

Though, I'm being 100% honest. I think the 30k vs Collingwood is about right.
I believe the Melbourne game was much smaller.

The details have been released for a while now:

The upgrade is just for the exterior and concourses, not the inside of the stadium itself
I really need to check some of these places out.
Actually see whether others concerns are right or not.

I've attended quite a few AFL grounds (Subiaco, Football park, Adelaide Oval, MCG, York Park, SCG, Sydney Showgrounds, Manuka Oval, Gabba, Carrara and I'll be doing Cazalay's this weekend assuming everything goes ahead as planned)
Need to see Docklands (see if it's as bad as people say) and Perth (See if its as good as people say)

Reach and Peak are different numbers, are they not?

Reach - anyone who watched it at some stage
Peak - the most at any given point in time
Average (most commonly used ratings) - a literal constant average of all the time that the match was broadcasted

Average (most commonly used ratings) - a literal constant average of all the time that the match was broadcasted

Yeah that's my understanding.....I am sure "reach" has some kind of minimum time

Reach is actually a useful measure of overall engagement. For a game that goes for 3 hours, it is actually a more comparable figure to shorter codes than the average is.

Peak I suspect is likely to vary considerably relative to how close the game is. That is, a really close finish the peak would be closer to the reach -with most people engaged at all tuned in at the climax, where as one sided games the peak is more likely to be at the start of the game and perhaps not too far above the average

Peak I suspect is likely to vary considerably relative to how close the game is. That is, a really close finish the peak would be closer to the reach -with most people engaged at all tuned in at the climax, where as one sided games the peak is more likely to be at the start of the game and perhaps not too far above the average
Or, in the case of the Sunday broadcast, people linking it up with the Sunday 6pm news, watching a game late, bonus if it's close, the C7 sunday news is more popular than it should be imo, which is why they structure the broadcast the way that they do.

Or, in the case of the Sunday broadcast, people linking it up with the Sunday 6pm news, watching a game late, bonus if it's close, the C7 sunday news is more popular than it should be imo, which is why they structure the broadcast the way that they do.

Yeah that's a good point. Sunday slot presumably always peaks just before the news starts. Night games perhaps more likely to peak at the start of the game particularly when its not close

The 3:20pm slot was introduced precisely so that the game would finish as close to 6pm as possible, for the benefit of 7's Sunday news.

Reach - The sum of the number of unique viewers who have seen at least one minute of an event or time band across its total duration
Peak - Highest number of people who have tuned in to a piece of dedicated TV coverage of an event for a set period of time
Average - is an average of the ratings figures taken every 15 minutes. (so city average + city average + city average etc) These are delivered to media agencies as below, although its more usual to get a data dump from the stations themselves.

ratingsaverage.PNG \

In the above image you can see the ratings for Sevens AFL coverage in Melbourne for July 19th last year. The figures represent 15 minute segments. The average is derived from the average of these figures, which is then added to the average of the averages of each individual city and regional area, to obtain the national average.

Examples from yesterdays ratings -

Nine generally gives this

(with another page talking about other programming and such)

sundaynrl.PNG

Seven generally this

sdevensunday.PNG

The 3:20pm slot was introduced precisely so that the game would finish as close to 6pm as possible, for the benefit of 7's Sunday news.
Which was a feature of the 2012 rights deal that C7 paid more, but got to dictate their timeslot. C7 showed games live before that, I can't remember if they lead straight into the news

It's surprisingly recent how much of a lesser impact TV rights had on scheduling - as recent as 2006 in the 2002 rights deal three Sunday afternoon games overlapped (1.10, 2.10, 2.10/2.40 was typical, with C9 broadcasting the earliest of the three games from interstate live into Melbourne, as to not to discourage people from going to the games if they could watch their team on a Sunday live rather than on delay)

Reach - The sum of the number of unique viewers who have seen at least one minute of an event or time band across its total duration
Peak - Highest number of people who have tuned in to a piece of dedicated TV coverage of an event for a set period of time
Average - is an average of the ratings figures taken every 15 minutes. (so city average + city average + city average etc) These are delivered to media agencies as below, although its more usual to get a data dump from the stations themselves.

View attachment 1149328\

In the above image you can see the ratings for Sevens AFL coverage in Melbourne for July 19th last year. The figures represent 15 minute segments. The average is derived from the average of these figures, which is then added to the average of the averages of each individual city and regional area, to obtain the national average.

Examples from yesterdays ratings -

Nine generally gives this

(with another page talking about other programming and such)

View attachment 1149339

Seven generally this

View attachment 1149340
So it would be correct in saying that the Melbourne peak is 337 of that game because of it being the highest number at any given 15 point in time even though several tens of thousands could have watched the last 5 mins of the AFL game if they turned on the news early?

So it would be correct in saying that the Melbourne peak is 337 of that game because of it being the highest number at any given 15 point in time even though several tens of thousands could have watched the last 5 mins of the AFL game if they turned on the news early?

Im getting some clarification on that for you, Im not sure. Peak and Reach data are rarely referred to in the same article or press release, and its possible the terms are interchangeable her in Australia. Oztam doesnt have peak in its definitions list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im getting some clarification on that for you, Im not sure. Peak and Reach data are rarely referred to in the same article or press release, and its possible the terms are interchangeable her in Australia. Oztam doesnt have peak in its definitions list.
Thanks.

It really just means that a) I'm sure C7 have their own metrics for valuation and people watching it more than public, ie, the final ad slot they sell on a Sunday 3.20 final goal of a game before the news is probably worth plenty, given that ad gets watched by potentially hundreds of thousands more

b) the boxes number isn't perfect, given the technological limitations (people often confuse this with sampling, which people don't understand, and sampling generally isn't the issue, unless you're getting into A-League numbers where a few people watching or not can have an outside effect). If 50,000 people more in Melbourne alone watch it for 5 mins before the news, that might be worth a hell of a lot, but difficult to measure in current box statistics.

28,718 tonight for Port vs Geelong. It was a Thursday but still perhaps a little bit disappointing was expecting it to be over 30,000

Thursday night is just terrible for the attending fans and supporters. Great tv product. I really dont know what they should do with the slot. Maybe rounds1-3 only. And double header fridays.

But according to every media commentator, people everywhere are demanding Thursday night footy every week. And they wouldn't just say that to further their employer's interests. I'm sure AFL commentators have more integrity than that.

I'll take that for a Thursday night, good game, great to have a match to watch Thurs night.
On face value, that’s a poor crowd. A match between supposedly two grand final aspirants doesn’t draw 30,000??

Surely Thursday night slot is the reason only. Otherwise Port have real issues with their ability to draw crowds.

Normally you’d think a matchup of this quality must be drawing upwards of 40,000 towards Thursday night football, at least 20% of fans won’t go to this slot.

On face value, that’s a poor crowd. A match between supposedly two grand final aspirants doesn’t draw 30,000??

Surely Thursday night slot is the reason only. Otherwise Port have real issues with their ability to draw crowds.

Normally you’d think a matchup of this quality must be drawing upwards of 40,000 towards Thursday night football, at least 20% of fans won’t go to this slot.

A game in the middle of winter, on a Thursday Night drwing 40,000 plus in a COVID impacted season is massively optimistic.

Before last night Port Adelaide have drawn 33,243 across their 6 home games.

Take away the Showdown and it's still 31,488

Attendances across the board are approx 20/30% lower than pre Covid levels (subject to on field performance) - and Port's 2016 to 2019 Adelaide Oval average was just over 37,000 (the seasons after the 2014 (44,436) and 2015 (43,086) new stadium bounce), just under 35,000 not including Showdowns.

Fremantle had a similar new stadium bounce in 2018 (41,764) and 2019 (40,896) but COVID and poor performance has drastically impacted on their crowds - 23,825 (not including Derby).

During the 2018 and 2019 seasons Fremantle's average attendance for non Derby games was 36,000 (although this was inflated with the new stadium bounce).

At Subiaco it was about 33,500 (not including Derby games)

Give any Victorian clubs a 33,000 to 35,000 average against non Victorian clubs and they would take it...

The key for all AFL clubs isnt attendance its the economics of stadium deals and potentially ticket prices

Last edited:

Port are the second team in Australia's fifth city whose metropolis is only 1.3M (4th is comfortably over 2m now). Their attendances are phenomenal

A cold Thursday night would have been the main reason for a crowd of less than 30,000 also people have work and kids go to school the next day.
Imagine if this match had been played in Melbourne last night how bad the crowd would have been?
Thursday night matches should not be played during the depth of winter in the southern States.

Imagine if this match had been played in Melbourne last night how bad the crowd would have been?

It it'd been played last night in Melbourne the crowd would have been zero, so you've got a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back