Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And it was hilarious. This won’t be popular but I thought the G-Train was pretty precious when talking about the worst on ground votes.

There is a difference between mental health issues and having to hear something you don’t like about your own performance in something you get paid multiple thousands of dollars per year to perform.

Absolutely it piss weak, for a bloke who I loved because he made a living out of scaring the s**t out of defenders by choking and bashing em all he can't handle hearing he played badly? Cry me a River carpet snake

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Didn't Sam once give the 3 best on ground and 3 worst on ground votes to the same player?

"My backside is so tight you couldn't ram a knitting needle up there with a sledgehammer"

I can't remember who gave the 3 best on but they gave the 3 best on to Sav Rocca, then Foss gave him the 3 worst 😅

Everyone remember this one? Sammy talking to Ryan of langwarren haha

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
Crazy how much better and more entertaining JB and BT are on MMM than 7. I can't even listen to them on Friday night anymore, have it off. But being at a game listening them call your team on the radio is a real treat. I was praying for the ball to go near Frost yesterday just to to hear what they would say.

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I think I remember JB saying once that the players loved the worst ons so much some even kept a tally on the whiteboard at the club. They would be fully aware they had a shocker, as would everyone who watched the game - your own personal pride and pressure you place on yourself should affect you more than someone pointing out the obvious.

Glad we have the youtube rub for so we can listen to this gold still.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Jeepers, Triple M's general ratings have gradually dropped to the level of shitness. Even SEN had better ratings than that about 4 or 5 years ago.

GPqlBDe.jpg

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Jeepers, Triple M's general ratings have gradually dropped to the level of shitness. Even SEN had better ratings than that about 4 or 5 years ago.

GPqlBDe.jpg

They have really declined. What I find frustrating is so much of the content is networked or prerecorded. I think at the moment with Covid people want more live local radio.

I also don't think the on air talent is very sustainable. They pay alot for some big name commedians but I think sometimes they can have a short life span.

I think in general the station needs a freshen up.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is from the Herald Sun. I've asked many times over the years why us Johnny Punters can't access the footy radio ratings. Boo.

'As fickle as radio ratings can be, it's hard to ignore the continued downward trend of Triple M’s long-running powerful Saturday lead-in show titled The Rub. A glitch in one survey? No, given The Rub’s figures dropped to 5s and 6s last year, which is a far cry from the halcyon days of 11s and 12s. Are Triple M’s figures symptomatic of football broadcasting on radio, where numbers have been in decline in recent years?

There is one big difference this year: Brian Taylor is no longer on The Rub. Taylor is one of the original Triple M football team that was created by Lee Simon 25 years ago. Apart from five seasons when he headed up 3AW’s Footy Fix from 2010-14, Taylor has remained a staple part of Triple M Football.

This year, when calling on Saturdays between his Channel 7 commitments where he is now the network’s senior caller, Taylor has been in a revolving seat either alongside James Brayshaw for the main Saturday afternoon match or heading up the twilight game with Barry Denney or Leigh Montagna.

Moving Taylor to twilight games allows Luke Darcy to partner Brayshaw, before that pair then call for Seven on Saturday nights. But taking Australia’s most recognisable calling voice from the prime calling spot would seem unusual. Or could it be that radio’s commitment to football is waning, given every game is televised and unless you requite colour, everything else is available to you via your phone?

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
BT being gone hasn't helped that's for sure. The show kind of revolves around Billy for some reason who wasn't even funny when the Footy Show was on it's last legs 7-8 years ago. The idea that he is a big dumb oaf that loves 'froffies' gets pretty old after about 4 minutes.
JB is still good but he doesn't have much to work with. Damo is a shocker and fabricates a fair bit. Then they've got Bernie Vince who really doesn't offer anything at all. I reckon Duck is pretty good for a laugh here and there but jeez the Rub team has really fallen.

The Friday Rub is probably the better show these days with the Chief on there. The banter this year again I've found is a little repetitive and forced at times but it's been a good listen.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Yep.

When Wolf hit up Billy’s ex, the feminutters cancelled the banter.

Then Spud was cut and joined up with Wolf on SEN1116 and it all wasn’t worth a pinch of you know what.

2011-14 was their prime.

They were in your room.
Now, they’ve virtually moved suburbs.

I don’t know who runs the joint since Ben Amarfio is about 2-3 jobs removed from that stint.

If they can hang s**t on the over 55’s again, I’m easy.

Ollie 22

Debutant
Jul 25, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It's amazing now that I think the best product Triple M produce is the Sunday Rub. They've just got the mix right which is saying something as I think individually, Nathan Brown, Mark Howard, Wayne Carey, Ross Lyon and Jay Clark aren't the best but together they seem to work really well.

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Apparently the Rush Hour does really well on the podcast numbers so they might not be too worried about the ratings there. I know I only listen to it that way. I find it way funnier than the Rub; not high brow humour but a good way to wind down after a long day at work and has more of a relaxed feel.

The rub is too try hard and contrived now, especially with Bill as basically the focal point. He is funny when not trying to be, not as a written line type comedian.

Bristol

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
But taking Australia’s most recognisable calling voice from the prime calling spot would seem unusual. Or could it be that radio’s commitment to football is waning
BT and Billy had a falling out at the end of last year. That’s why BT doesn’t appear anymore. It was easier for Triple M to keep Billy on The Rub and move BT elsewhere because his already-busy TV commitments made it justifiable

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
BT and Billy had a falling out at the end of last year. That’s why BT doesn’t appear anymore. It was easier for Triple M to keep Billy on The Rub and move BT elsewhere because his already-busy TV commitments made it justifiable

well they pulled the wrong reign coz Bill is a fool and tries to be funny and talks over everyone and that’s the major reason that I don’t enjoy it like I used to

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville

GPqlBDe.jpg
What do those numbers mean? Im assuming higher number is better. But for example, what is 3.0? and what does 5.2 mean? Id love to know.

Also, how bad must SEN be going if MMM breakfast show is beating them? That is the worst radio I've heard.

Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
What do those numbers mean? Im assuming higher number is better. But for example, what is 3.0? and what does 5.2 mean? Id love to know.

Also, how bad must SEN be going if MMM breakfast show is beating them? That is the worst radio I've heard.
Really? I love gaz and Tim, banter is genuine.. each to their own

Back