Coach Teague in or out?

Teague in or out?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before, I'm happy to keep Teague as long as there is an acknowledgement there is something seriously wrong and there is a clear plan on how to fix it. We have zero modern defensive game plan. Zero hard gut running to defend. No leadership onfield.

Does Teague have the answers to this? I have no idea...and I'm not sure the club does...but they had better find out and find out quickly. The planning for next year needs to start right now.

Yay..
The review is here, done by the President Sayers and his yes men...

The Eagles have had a sizable injury list all year yet they are still in the 8

Prior to this year, they have played the SCG once in four years and that has been against 1 side

And further hyperbole is your push for 100 signatures to force a board spill. Who would you nominate as the head of this so called review?

Start and end with the priority issues, rather than just some worthless royal commission to appease "I demand answers as a supporter "
Gee this didnt age well arrow...

Head of the review... name is Luke Sayers

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I'm firmly in the "don't sakc" camp.

We've tried sacking the coach how many times now.....and it hasnt helped - if anything we've regressed in culture even further than we all thought because we gave the players control of the coaching decision.

I would ask Judd to give a full assessment today - no preparation should be required as he is the board member responsible for football and list management. We all recall his comments on "training wheels" on footy classified, so we need his honest appraisal about the full department from top down.

Then with that knowledge, Luke Sayers needs to get an independent assessment to give us something as soon as possible. We put them next to each other and then act accordingly. If Judd is out of his depth, then he should leave the board. If the assessment is appropriate and shows the decisions were compromised by Liddle or Lloyd, then they have something to answer for. Something must be done.
Judds already leaving the board.

Footy Classified, was interesting tonight...

Caro & Sam McClure (Broke the Review Story)
Sayers Review - Not going to pull any punches, full football department review.. Everyone is being reviewed, boards focus will now be on on-field...

Caro - Thinks Clarkson or Lyon will coach Carlton next year...
Caro & Sam McClure - Believe
  • Teague's job is in major jeopardy.
  • Assistants are gone, could be as quick as in the next couple of weeks.
  • Players are talking to each other behind Teague's back in regards to him as coach.
  • Players are confused and don't understand the game plan.
  • Players don't believe in the game plan.
  • Players are upset with selection integrity
If there is any truth of Teague starting to lose the players is true or if Clarkson is available then I think Teague will unfortunately be shown the door.

Think its time we start getting rid of some of these players that think they control the club also..

If Teague survives I will of course back him in as all of us should..

But my vote is now and has been for some time for Clarkson

Last edited:
Out. I’ve said it weeks ago. Major concerns about the management of our youth over his tenure - many of which have significantly stalled and are clearly lacking in confidence.

Secondly, it’s the coach that instills the team philosophy - the buck stops with him when it comes to the whole team’s complete lack of defensive discipline. It’s so poor its laughable.

We can’t afford to rest on our laurels at this key stage with our list. We need to get it right now or our boat will sail by. Critical point right now.

That said and on a completely different note - i do also have major concerns about our players leaking their opinions about this into the media anonymously. Some of those comments imo indicate a toxic attitude, which creates negativity amongst the team environment, and is not conducive to ultimate success. Didn’t like that at all.

Last edited:

Sayers Review - Not going to pull any punches, full football department review.. Everyone is being reviewed, boards focus will now be on on-field...

• Players are talking to each other behind Teague's back in regards to him as coach.
If there is any truth of Teague starting to lose the players is true or if Clarkson is available then I think Teague will unfortunately be shown the door.

Think its time we start getting rid of some of these players that think they control the club also..

Why Clarko? Hawthorn seems to be only in the position they're in because of his refusal to rebuild or nothing wrong with having another crack after you've been at the top etc?

What players think they control the club?

I’m leaning towards putting a quality bunch of assistants around Teague.

However, if Clarko or Lyon were realistic options, I’d take one of them. Luke Hodge needs to be targeted also as an assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m leaning towards putting a quality bunch of assistants around Teague.

However, if Clarko or Lyon were realistic options, I’d take one of them. Luke Hodge needs to be targeted also as an assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I look at the demons and the influence that Roos had on their setup, players and coaches.
The ability to choose the right line coaches is far more valuable than a senior coach.
We need to get the line coaches right. They don’t have to be messiah type assistants such as Leppitsch or hodge, they can be far lower key than that. As long as they have the qualities needed they can be anyone. I would look at the coming retirees in 2022 .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whichever players are talking behind the coaches back about his capability and not buying in are part of the problem. We've seen this already with Bolton.

Any of these players are a cancer to culture and progression and must be removed as soon as possible. Even if it's Cripps or Walsh. Do we have a single premiership player in our team? Do we have a single player who is in a position to analyse what success looks like?

Judds already leaving the board.

Right, I'd tell him to do it now, same with MLG and a few others. This board has failed.

The only reason that we have high membership and debt reduction is that the members have put in their hard earned (even in consecutive years where we've hardly seen a live game). All this will be a waste if we don't have any on field success and we'll find ourselves back down the debt hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've said before, I'm happy to keep Teague as long as there is an acknowledgement there is something seriously wrong and there is a clear plan on how to fix it. We have zero modern defensive game plan. Zero hard gut running to defend. No leadership onfield.

Does Teague have the answers to this? I have no idea...and I'm not sure the club does...but they had better find out and find out quickly. The planning for next year needs to start right now.

This is spot on assuming he hasn't lost the players.

Admittedly we do have some schizophrenic players, on the train one minute, off it the next! If our leaders had any leadership they'd be talking to the team and Teague and relaying the necessary sentiments and resolving things. Somewhere things are broken particularly between coach and players (as per Murphy's comment about his lack on insight into knowing he would be sub due to form).

I believe Teague is a little out of his depth not because he's not necessarily a bad coach, but this situation is indicating to me he can't handle a few big facets of the role, people management, respect and communication (the message he wants to send is not getting across, stated even in his press conferences).

Can these things be fixed with Teague, sure can... time, maturity and learning (hence training wheels). Will the club be willing to let him get the ability to learn these things? I'd be more than happy for the review to dictate Teague is a potential future coach, maybe getting in a Lyon for 2-3 seasons as senior coach with Teague assistant with a handover back to Teague may be something I'd hope would be palatable to Teague. If he's interested in growing he'd learn defence from the best, and how to build a team oriented culture.

On to the players! Put aside Walsh, Eddie, Ed Curnow, Weitering, Jones...and maybe a couple of others... the rest in my books have to earn our respect back. It's time they extract that digit and take a good hard look at themselves and their attitudes to their job! I'm more than content to trade Cripps, Docherty, etc etc if it means building a team first culture (not saying Cripps and Doc are culprits here, but if so goodbye). I'm disgusted it has come to this again.. "can't understand game plan" ... have you voiced this with the coaches, asked to simplify?? Or after hours actually spent an hour or two thinking about it??? "selection issues...".. have you thought about your attitude, are you part of the problem? Is Teague trying to teach you a lesson in humility, self awareness?

I hope if what is rumoured SOS said in his exit interview is true that the review seeks him out to ask him his version of events and his views. We lost a good football brain by letting him go and we retained a few rats only concerned about protecting themselves.

I really hope we dont go down the Clarkson path, have we learnt nothing from the Pagan/Malthouse appointments.

Now i'm no big-talking, fancy, AFL football coach - but it's clear to me that we have issues with our defensive pressure, defending small forwards, delivery inside fifty and ruck-work.

Some immediate fixes to those problems are:
- play defenders who love the contest and the defensive side of the game (ala Luke Parks) or make the current defenders focus on it too much;
- place our best kicks on the outside in positions where they can be damaging, i.e move Liam Stocker up onto the ball to deliver inside fifty;

The more difficult fixes are:
- improve forward leading patterns (this may naturally happen when Charlie returns, but need to work on it);
- find a way to perform for four quarters with intensity (Russell needs to work harder or, if he's being overruled as some rumours suggest, he needs to be given better reign)
- select a better spectrum of players in draft and free agency, i.e stop selecting midfielders and playing them back pocket or forward pocket

Review, Barker immediate departure... this is where we see what Teague is made of! Will he knuckle down and be pro-active, will he jump, or will he bunker down and try to ride it out?

I think Teague will survive and we will bump up our assistant coaching team with some quality.

The thing going in Teagues favour is he has never got close to having a best 22 on the park in his tenure at the club.

Whichever players are talking behind the coaches back about his capability and not buying in are part of the problem. We've seen this already with Bolton.

Any of these players are a cancer to culture and progression and must be removed as soon as possible. Even if it's Cripps or Walsh. Do we have a single premiership player in our team? Do we have a single player who is in a position to analyse what success looks like?

So players should blindly follow a coach, no matter how bad they are?
Our game plan and selection policies have been junk. How can you expect buy-in on something that clearly isn't working?

So players should blindly follow a coach, no matter how bad they are?
Our game plan and selection policies have been junk. How can you expect buy-in on something that clearly isn't working?
If we had a squad of successful players calling the criticisms, i'd be more inclined to listen. How many of our players have played finals, let alone played in a grand final and not been smashed?

What if the problem with the plan is that it requires everyone to be pulling in the same direction and not trying to be a hero? If we've got a few players who aren't pulling their weight, then we shouldn't be surprised the plan isn't working. Bit chicken and egg, I'm sure, but the resilience of this mob is under significant question.

If we had a squad of successful players calling the criticisms, i'd be more inclined to listen. How many of our players have played finals, let alone played in a grand final and not been smashed?

What if the problem with the plan is that it requires everyone to be pulling in the same direction and not trying to be a hero? If we've got a few players who aren't pulling their weight, then we shouldn't be surprised the plan isn't working. Bit chicken and egg, I'm sure, but the resilience of this mob is under significant question.

The thing with game plans is that they have to be workable in practice. There's no point having a 'perfect' game plan if it's impossible to implement.

And our game plan is leaving our players exhausted, and allowing our opposition to kick massive scores. The problems aren't just due to players not pulling their weight, and if they were, Teague should be dropping the non-performers and bringing in other players. But that's not happening either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back