Prospected of attending games for the rest of the year in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's still an evolving situation but do you think we are done for the year?. I hope we can come back quickly even if it's with 25% crowds. Just make sure we actually get some distancing going, no point closing the top bowl and putting 10,000 in the bottom, spread people out, and put in more sections so large numbers don't get caught up having to test and isolate like half the crowd at the Essendon game. When I was going to the A-League earlier in the year (and I know they don't get big crowds) I thought the way they did it was good, they sold a Row and you could sit anywhere in the row but you had to leave a 2 seat gap to anyone not in your group. So a row of 20 seats might have had 8 tickets sold so 4 groups of two in it for example.

'Soon'

Victorian sports minister Martin Pakula flags footy’s return to Melbourne
Melbourne will host AFL games “sooner rather than later” according to the state’s sports minister. But how many fans will be allowed to attend?

Jon Ralph and Marc McGowan

5 min read
June 8, 2021 - 10:38AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Geelong is still hopeful of drawing a crowd for next Friday night’s GMHBA Stadium clash against the Western Bulldogs.

It comes as the Victorian State Government admitted crowds would be unlikely to return to 85 per cent capacity and 100 per cent capacity soon.
Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Martin Pakula on Tuesday morning said he expected the games would continue in Victoria “sooner rather than later”.

“Once restrictions are eased, then we will go back into the public events framework,” Mr Pakula said.
“The AFL will make some decisions about what it is they want, and that will be assessed by the public health team in the same way that it was before the outbreak.”

But Mr Pakula warned it was unlikely for the previous crowd capacity of 85 per cent to return immediately.

“All going well with the epidemiology and infection rates, we’ll see crowds gradually increase,” he said.

Mr Pakula wouldn’t provide any reassurance that lockdown would end on Friday as originally planned, despite Victoria recording “encouraging” case numbers on Monday and Tuesday.
“I’m not going to pre-empt or give any clues about what the thinking of public health is. It’s a day by day proposition,” he said.

“We’ll continue to assess that between now and when the decision point is, which will be on Wednesday or Thursday.”

I feel that crowds will be back at 25% and then 50% fairly soon. Not confident that we will be reunited with our reserved seats by the end of the season though. Such a bummer that the fixture fell the way it did and we were unlucky to miss out on a home game in the two weeks when reserved seats returned.

I feel that crowds will be back at 25% and then 50% fairly soon. Not confident that we will be reunited with our reserved seats by the end of the season though. Such a bummer that the fixture fell the way it did and we were unlucky to miss out on a home game in the two weeks when reserved seats returned.

But its also good that we haven't had a Melbourne home game yet affected by no crowds or being moved to Syd

They should stay. Not being in our reserved seats has done absolutely zero when it comes to social distancing. It was a pointless exercise.

They should stay. Not being in our reserved seats has done absolutely zero when it comes to social distancing. It was a pointless exercise.
Yep, you're not wrong.

For the Port game, got allocated next to another group of people.

For GF, you guessed it, right next to other people too.

For Adelaide, we yet again got allocated seats right near other people.

For the Pies match it wasn't as bad but we had people near us in the row in front and behind.

If there's a risk, there has to be leeway otherwise don't bother with crowds at all.

It's funny because my reserved seat was originally near no one except family but they changed it anyway lmao.

Yep, you're not wrong.

For the Port game, got allocated next to another group of people.

For GF, you guessed it, right next to other people too.

For Adelaide, we yet again got allocated seats right near other people.

For the Pies match it wasn't as bad but we had people near us in the row in front and behind.

If there's a risk, there has to be leeway otherwise don't bother with crowds at all.

It's funny because my reserved seat was originally near no one except family but they changed it anyway lmao.

There is a couple who are mad North supporters and friends of friends kind of thing. I hadn't seen them for almost half a decade - this year I've sat within a few seats of them in 3 completely different bays on 3 separate occasions. It would be safer for tracking purposes to just have the same people mixing each week in the same bays IMO if they're not going to properly distance seating.

There is a couple who are mad North supporters and friends of friends kind of thing. I hadn't seen them for almost half a decade - this year I've sat within a few seats of them in 3 completely different bays on 3 separate occasions. It would be safer for tracking purposes to just have the same people mixing each week in the same bays IMO if they're not going to properly distance seating.

Far too logical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we will get to see some more footy soon, but at the risk of probably stirring up a hornets nest here, I think it might be reasonable to ask us all to wear our masks, while walking around and sitting "socially distanced".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back