Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally; " l'll get it soon darling "

I looked on the website but couldn't see it.
I've never seen the product so if you do find it on the www let me know so I can check it out. Have a new asian grocery store nearby at Plenty Valley - wondering if they may have it as they have a good Indo section. I'm assuming its Malaysian?

I've never seen the product so if you do find it on the www let me know so I can check it out. Have a new asian grocery store nearby at Plenty Valley - wondering if they may have it as they have a good Indo section. I'm assuming its Malaysian?

At Epping plaza ? The one that's opened near the east entrance ? Live near there so l'll check 👍

Is this it?

Is this it?

Thanks - I'll check it out. Is it hot Hojuman? I like a bit of kick but my wife hates it too hot.

To get that authentic taste, there's no substitute for the real thing.

When I try to cook Thai style food I get somewhat acceptable results but I doubt any Thai would agree. Same for my Indo, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian, Malaysian, Vietnamese or other international style cooking.

Obviously, some reasonable ingredients are avaiable in the variety of international supermarkets around the city and suburbs. When I go to Vels up at Carrum Downs I watch which brands the Indians buy and if I can work out what it is I might pick up a packet of this or that. I'll definately keep an eye open for that block of Satay paste - how could anything that comes in a block be bad!!!

One genuinely authentic ingredient that i have a mortal fear of is belacan.

It comes in a block!!!!

1623138353249.png

This is shrimp paste, and you could say it's highly concentrated - Hojuman - your Wife #1 must have been a user of this stuff in her cooking.

One sniff of this stuff and it's good-night from me.

In the markets of Viet Nam we saw sellers of a similar crab paste. This was very fresh - in fact they manufactured it in real time. A handfull of those little crabs you often see scuttling across the beach go straight into the old style hand grinder all wriggling and alive. A few turns of the handle and at the other end - a plastic bag full of pulverised little crabs ready to add that Unami flavour to almost anything you would want to cook.

Last edited:
To get that authentic taste, there's no substitute for the real thing.

When I try to cook Thai style food I get somewhat acceptable results but I doubt any Thai would agree. Same for my Indo, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian, Malaysian, Vietnamese or other international style cooking.

Obviously, some reasonable ingredients are avaiable in the variety of international supermarkets around the city and suburbs. When I go to Vels up at Carrum Downs I watch which brands the Indians buy and if I can work out what it is I might pick up a packet of this or that. I'll definately keep an eye open for that block of Satay paste - how could anything that comes in a block be bad!!!

One genuinely authentic ingredient that i have a mortal fear of is belacan.

It comes in a block!!!!

View attachment 1150075

This is shrimp paste, and you could say it's highly concentrated - Hojuman - your Wife #1 must have been a user of this stuff in her cooking.

One sniff of this stuff and it's good-night from me.

In the markets of Viet Nam we saw sellers of a similar crab paste. This was very fresh - in fact they manufactured it in real time. A handfull of those little crabs you often see scuttling across the beach goe straight into the old style hand grinder all wriggling and alive. A few turns of the handle and at the other end - a plastic bag full of pulverised little crabs ready to add that Unami flavour to almost anything you would want to cook.

Ah yes, belacan. Open the windows, front and back doors, warn the neighbours and call the police.

Funny thing, it tastes great. Go figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be. Give it a whirl.
The Plenty Valley shop doesn't have it but found an Indo Asian Supermarket in Reservoir. Rang them and a bloke answered Aussier than me - not used to calling an Aisan specialty food store and hearing g'day mate. Turns out he runs the business with his wife who is Indonesian. They carry it in a few varieties so will head there tomorrow and grab some and give it a go.

Pink icing getting ahead of itself
There’s also the passion fruit icing version plus those with the chocolate wavy stripes. Some custards are soft while others can be quite rubbery.

And then there’s the ones with icing sugar half a centimetre thick.

There’s also the passion fruit icing version plus those with the chocolate wavy stripes. Some custards are soft while others can be quite rubbery.

I am quite partial to a firm, not rubbery custard, and white icing. Not so thick icing that my teeth squeak, mind.

The bakery in drouin next to the post office does the passionfruit vanilla slices perfectly. Wife's been going to the physio near it and grabs a couple occasionally for after dinner.

Looks good. Major kudos on cranking one of these Aussies icons out.
My personal preference has always been passionately passion fruit. A really good tip from Karen Martini is to have a 200c preheated baking tray that crisps the base and gives you the lighter but still crispy base, which can be pretty much applied to all puff pastry dishes; spanakopita, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back