AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eat a mountain of dicks, Tony Cochrane!
Do not get this attitude. Trading / poaching players is what happens in the AFL. We have enquired about Harry McKay despite us not really having / wanting to give up what Carlton will want. Clubs ask about uncontracted players.

Do not get this attitude. Trading / poaching players is what happens in the AFL. We have enquired about Harry McKay despite us not really having / wanting to give up what Carlton will want. Clubs ask about uncontracted players.
I have no problem with that at all, totally understand.

I just think Tony Cochrane is a genuine campaigner of the highest order and him not getting his way makes me pleased.

Glad to hear it.

At risk of being ostracised, I'm more optimistic about Bryan than I am Draper, long term.
Draper's recent run of injuries (albeit unrelated) makes it pretty valid. I think they can become a successful pairing though.

I have no problem with that at all, totally understand.

I just think Tony Cochrane is a genuine campaigner of the highest order and him not getting his way makes me pleased.
Tony May be a pain in the ass but he is a good operator who will always stand up for his club / organisation.
It is not his job to be sympathetic to anyone else’s cause.

Draper's recent run of injuries (albeit unrelated) makes it pretty valid. I think they can become a successful pairing though.

How soon do we start playing them both in the same team?

Do we start getting a bit tall up front with hooker,Wright,Jones,Bryan?

How soon do we start playing them both in the same team?

Do we start getting a bit tall up front with hooker,Wright,Jones,Bryan?
When Hooker retires.

This is good news, whether he develops as a tall at either end or in the ruck he is clearly a serious talent

Yep. Has the scope to be able to play in any of the 4 traditional key posts and ruck/second ruck.

Rutten has already demonstrated that he will develop a team to maximise the potential in the list.

In reality I think that now means KPF/ruck given Reid, Brand and McBride are the defenders to develop for the future.

Given the faith Rutten has in Wright, who is young enough to play 150 games for us, Hooker is the one who Bryan has to squeeze past at some stage. He's also going to need to be able to play forward in the VFL too.

I'd be interested in looking at Bryan in a F50 role, when needed.

I rate his work rate from what I've seen in the seconds.
If we were to keep the three talls and Stringer combination he'd be the one I'd bring in almost.
Yep. Has the scope to be able to play in any of the 4 traditional key posts and ruck/second ruck.

Rutten has already demonstrated that he will develop a team to maximise the potential in the list.

In reality I think that now means KPF/ruck given Reid, Brand and McBride are the defenders to develop for the future.

Given the faith Rutten has in Wright, who is young enough to play 150 games for us, Hooker is the one who Bryan has to squeeze past at some stage. He's also going to need to be able to play forward in the VFL too.
Let's hope Draper and Phillips stay fit the second half of the year to allow that to happen. If the VFL comes back against Box Hille it'll be a good test for him, he probably gets Hartley or Grainger-Barrass.

EDIT: Seems that if the VFL does come back by next week, we're playing Northern Bullants for some reason, not Box Hill. Disappointing, the Ants are pretty much a lock for the spoon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed, which is where it would be handy to have Phillips or Draper or even McLarty shouldering the ruck load in the VFL to allow him to do that.

If you really wanted to fast track it next time Chook needs a spell you just play Wright permanent FF and Bryan in the chop out ruck role.

Glad to hear it.

At risk of being ostracised, I'm more optimistic about Bryan than I am Draper, long term.
Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully Drapes turns his injury issues around, but having someone like Bryan waiting in the wings keeps them both honest. Good problem to have.

Understand your point of view but I think the difference here is that Cochrane is a d***.

Understand your point of view but I think the difference here is that Cochrane is a d***.
Of course he is. He is not trying to sell us is he. He is no more a dick than anyone else.
People just see him that way because he has a passion for what he does.
At times I wish we had a dick like him running the club.

I reckon it was more to do with the fact that after 1 game, he was being linked to Gold Coast.

That, and Tony Cochrane is a genuine campaigner.

Of course he is. He is not trying to sell us is he. He is no more a dick than anyone else.
People just see him that way because he has a passion for what he does.
At times I wish we had a dick like him running the club.
Nah just a massive arrogant flog and don’t want dickheads like that near the club. Reminds me a bit of that guy who was in charge of Bears when they merged with Fitzroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back