Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When you say "We put ourselves in this predicament," I have to assume you mean that this is the narrative being spun by the media and opposition supporters who don't have a clue. Surely no intelligent person thinks North Melbourne wins more games this year with Mason Wood, Majak Daw, Sam Durdin, Paul Ahern, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Jmac etc. We were rubbish with them last year and would be just as bad, if not worse, with them this year. And likewise, no sane person thinks we put ourselves in the predicament of having longterm injuries to Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Aidan Corr, Aidan Bonar, Jed Anderson, Jared Polec etc (albeit that injuries to key players is a valid argument against a priority pick).
Clearly you don't read the injuries or high performance team threads.

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bidding on Daicos makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. Even if Collingwood didn't match and we got him, the most likely scenario would be that he plays with us until the age of 25 and then walks to Collingwood anyway as a restricted free agent. We end up with nothing, Collingwood end up with a top 5 pick and Daicos just as they're both entering their prime. Just take the Horne kiddy at 1 if he's that good.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's fair re Collingwood. Maybe they are over a barrel, maybe they aren't. But their administration and staff may have shifted around by then and it'd be a dangerous move to try and second guess another club's strategy and (perhaps political) motivations while gambling the highest value draft capital we've ever held (which concurs with what you said).

It boils down to - if you dummy bid at an auction, be prepared to being stuck as the winning bidder.
100% in agreement.

I think they are more than likely to match any bid for him considering where their alternative first selection would actually fall, but that organisation is a ******* mess and the recruiting department is in the middle of an overhaul with giant warning signs of further changes around the rest of the club. If we have him ranked as the best player, then bid on him. If not, then don't. Simples.

Risk = not getting the player we rated as best in the draft.
Reward = mildly shafting one of the seventeen other clubs we're competing against.

Bidding on Daicos makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. Even if Collingwood didn't match and we got him, the most likely scenario would be that he plays with us until the age of 25 and then walks to Collingwood anyway as a restricted free agent. We end up with nothing, Collingwood end up with a top 5 pick and Daicos just as they're both entering their prime. Just take the Horne kiddy at 1 if he's that good.

That is nonsense. They are going to pay for Daicos with a bag of mediocre picks. If they didn't match then they would just have a bunch of mediocre picks. If they tried to trade for him and they are not on the bottom then it is going to cost them a bunch of good first round picks, assuming he would want to leave.

The whole strategy of trading out their first round pick last year was because they would match any bid on Daicos, it would have been like us trading our pick 8 and not matching a bid on Thomas, you get screwed twice over.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That is nonsense. They are going to pay for Daicos with a bag of mediocre picks. If they didn't match then they would just have a bunch of mediocre picks. If they tried to trade for him and they are not on the bottom then it is going to cost them a bunch of good first round picks, assuming he would want to leave.

The whole strategy of trading out their first round pick last year was because they would match any bid on Daicos, it would have been like us trading our pick 8 and not matching a bid on Thomas, you get screwed twice over.

Their 2022 1st round pick will likely be compromised due to a lack of points, so I reckon they will do some more player trading to bring in points this year.

There doesn't seem to be much value in their uncontracted players:

1623119077788.png

Their 2022 1st round pick will likely be compromised due to a lack of points, so I reckon they will do some more player trading to bring in points this year.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think they will go into deficit if they can avoid it. Especially if they think they might be bottom four next year.

There doesn't seem to be much value in their uncontracted players:

View attachment 1149876

Josh Thomas has been on their list for 12 years?!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Josh Thomas has been on their list for 12 years?!

Clearly happy to have a career as an assistant coach post footy career.

Pendlebury of course won't leave. They may get some change for Cox. Levi is done. Sier & Mayne are good soldiers, but they probably need them.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think Collingwood are over a barrel for Daicos as suggested. With all the flack they've been copping they'll be more likely to want to show good governance than have a gun put to their head IF matching Daicos was going to derail their 2-3 year draft hand too much.

Not suggesting they don't want him or wouldn't match for him but the idea of bluffing them with a #1 pick bid is flawed.

It should be obvious but stating it again - only bid of Daicos at #1 if you are prepared to take him ahead of all other options. Because as others have said, if pies don't blink you've just delivered a gift-wrapped Jason Horne to whoever holds pick #2.

Crows were able to force the dogs on Ugle-Hagan because he was a number 1 grade talent and they would've been prepared to forgo Thilthorpe for him.
Completely agree with what is bolded but there is no doubt in my mind that Collingwood will match especially given the way the media has portrayed Daicos as the number 1. There might be some fans who would accept the good governance line but I reckon most supporters would see what happened last year, including trading our their first pick, and then not drafting an exceptional talent and instead picking someone in the 40's or 50's

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The best thing would be a couple of players coming out of the woodwork during Champs and Daicos doesn't get bid on until pick 4.

The kid's fitness level is next level above most of the others I have seen in my limited NAB viewing.

This won't fool the drafting staff at AFL clubs.

For the record, the kid IS a good player. Think of an advanced version of his brother (who I rate).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Anyone we pick first at number one gets a cash prize right? Well stuff Daicos, give it to the player we actually want to invest in.

IF North get pick 1, then I highly doubt we would turn that in to bidding for the 2nd/3rd/etc best player, purely for historical & integrity purposes of both the player and the club.

That Horne kid is already producing the traits a 50+ game AFL player. Nick is an ineffective Tom Mitchell type stat padder by comparison. If Horne was playing in the NAB he would single-handedly be winning matches D. Martin style.

Folks would do well to note that despite Nick's possession/disposal tally, the Chargers are currently sitting in 6th position at 2-2, and this gives a reasonable indication of the boys actual effectiveness.

Be funny if Daicos fell to three and then GWS bid on him.
Let him fall to the Hawks that way the Pies will need more points to get him....as for the PP it would be the icing on the cake to get one however l can still eat cake without the icing....seeing as we have already gotten, Phillips, Powell, Lazarro, Ford, Edwards, Hams , and hopefully Horne we are looking great for the future..

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Fair enough, I'd forgotten they didn't have a first round pick. I still think putting in a bid just to inconvenience another club is a bad idea. He's going to end up at Collingwood anyway, and I would question whether we really want him.

Horne vs Central

- Butchered a short pass from his back pocket to 30m out centrally out front his own goal. Opponent that gathered kicked a behind, should have been a goal. There was another moment later on in the game where he was trying to hit a short 15-20m to a teammate on the lead and it dropped 1m short. Insert comment here about how he's already turning into a North player. His technique is fine, both kicks looked slightly lazy though as he probably checked out due to them being very easy kicks.

- Absolutely ridiculous chase down tackle 4:40 into the first quarter winning a holding the ball free kick. Opponent was streaming through the centre with at least 3-4m on him and he caught him within a few seconds. Think Super Gav chasing Farren Ray.

- Took a really courageous intercept contested mark in defense. Opponent hit him made him earn it - got back up and carried on like it was nothing.

- Did a really good job the whole game of presenting to the ball carrier and getting separation from his opponent to take the mark. Took one mark on the lead with his arms extended and his opponent breathing down his neck and it just stuck. Excellent mark.

- Hit the ball at pace at one stoppage, sold candy and kicked long. Blind freddy could see how explosive he is with his first few steps.

- Can win the ball in so many ways. Stoppage, contested in the air, clunking them on the lead, defensive pressure leading to a turnover, reads it off the pack really well.

Concluding statement: He didn't tear this game apart but the glimpses he continues to show are so bloody impressive. I've said it before but there's no other comparison than Dangerfield - he's so Dangerfield-like it's ridiculous. If anyone tells you Daicos is better than Horne, spit in their face.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

He's making grown men look stupid.

His confidence & level of arrogance for a kid reminds me of you know who..........................as a 20 year old.

I struggle to think of an 18 year old kid exhibiting this level of development before. Longmire is probably the only one that springs to mind, and that was 32 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back