Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Since Chris Scott took over, we have scored a fraction over 23,000 points at 94.5 per game.

I can’t be bothered working out every club’s scoring throughout that period but hawthorn aside who kicked some big hauls during the Franklin/Roughead/Breust/Gunston era and come out averaging a couple more points a game overall, I very much doubt any club over that period is within touching distance of us so this s**t about ‘how we play’ is fairly irrelevant I’d have thought

Since Chris Scott took over, we have scored a fraction over 23,000 points at 94.5 per game.

I can’t be bothered working out every club’s scoring throughout that period but hawthorn aside who kicked some big hauls during the Franklin/Roughead/Breust/Gunston era and come out averaging a couple more points a game overall, I very much doubt any club over that period is within touching distance of us so this sh*t about ‘how we play’ is fairly irrelevant I’d have thought
I can be bothered. Also thought it was worth doing for Blight and Thompson eras.

Blight’s Geelong teams scored 20% more points than the rest of the league on average. They conceded 2% less points than the league average

Thompson: 5% more points for and 9% less points against.

Scott: 12% more points for and 12% less points against.

So Scott is, on the numbers at least, a better balance between attack and defence than Blight or Thompson.

I can be bothered. Also thought it was worth doing for Blight and Thompson eras.

Blight’s Geelong teams scored 20% more points than the rest of the league on average. They conceded 2% less points than the league average

Thompson: 5% more points for and 9% less points against.

Scott: 12% more points for and 12% less points against.

So Scott is, on the numbers at least, a better balance between attack and defence than Blight or Thompson.

Malcolm Blight coached Geelong for 6 years. Took them to 3 grand finals winning zero!
Took his next team (Adelaide) to 3 grand finals winning 2 flags.
Pretty impressive considering he faced powerhouses of the like of Hawthorn, West Coast, Carlton and North Melbourne.

Mark Thompson coached for 11 years. Took the club to 3 grand finals winning 2 of them.

Chris Scott is in his 11th year as coach. He has taken the club to 2 grand finals for 1 victory.

Last edited:

So if we win the flag this year, they will be equal?

I think so.
I still think Thompson built his team from the ground up. He was able to acquire Brad Ottens who was instrumental to our success but unlike Chris Scott, he really allowed the team to develop through trial and error.

But yes, another premiership in 11 years of a coaching . . . that would place him right up there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Geelong_Football_Club_coaches

everyone understands the game has changed with improved running ability making positional games not possible anymore. But from 2015-19 we became one of the must ultra defensive teams in the comp. the trendsetter of defensive control games. The opposite of what Geelong was about. We moved on all our flashy half foward flankers with goal nous and replaced them with defensive fowards who didn’t know what the goals looked liked. Choosing Cameron is a good step in the old direction. Someone who knows how to snap goals (and is sh** at foward defensive pressure).

We’ve rejected the concept of choosing the best ruck at rucking and it has cost us big time in finals where the oppisition ruck has won the game against us. Again this is the opposite of Geelong of old. Yes we haven’t had a great ruck but we should still choose the best one at the centre bounce.

i think we are slowly moving back in the Geelong direction this year. More because we had no choice rather then it being some grand plan. But we have a long long way to go.
2016-2020 we were top 4 in the comp each year for points scored. Including second in 2019 and first in 2020.

So far this year we're 11th for points scored. If anything, we have become more conservative this year, and are scoring less as a result.

2016-2020 we were top 4 in the comp each year for points scored. Including second in 2019 and first in 2020.

So far this year we're 11th for points scored. If anything, we have become more conservative this year, and are scoring less as a result.
Only 2 games this year have we impressed.
We are only just going, yet we are 8-3.
According to how that makes them look in my interpretation, we will soon be 8-6
If we win any of the next 3, I will be impressed. Really impressed. We are still very unsettled with anywhere up to 6 players returning over the next 2 weeks. Some of those are very short of match practice, and against our next 3 opponents, it could cost.

Malcolm Blight coached Geelong for 6 years. Took them to 3 grand finals winning zero!
Took his next team (Adelaide) to 3 grand finals winning 2 flags.
Pretty impressive considering he faced powerhouses of the like of Hawthorn, West Coast, Carlton and North Melbourne.

Mark Thompson coached for 11 years. Took the club to 3 grand finals winning 2 of them.

Chris Scott is in his 11th year as coach. He has taken the club to 2 grand finals for 1 victory.

Wow he’s 1 behind Thompson and given two of the prelims he’s lost have been by a kick to Hawthorn with From memory Chapman and Enright both missing, and another against Richmond without the team’s most important player that we were actually dominating for a half, and factoring in the players he has had available compared to the players Thompson had at his disposal, is that in ANY way some sort of definitive argument for Thompson over Scott?

I think so.
I still think Thompson built his team from the ground up. He was able to acquire Brad Ottens who was instrumental to our success but unlike Chris Scott, he really allowed the team to develop through trial and error.

But yes, another premiership in 11 years of a coaching . . . that would place him right up there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Geelong_Football_Club_coaches

A bit easier to develop from the ground up when you’re getting better access to the draft and in a position where you are actually forced to build from the ground up

A bit easier to develop from the ground up when you’re getting better access to the draft and in a position where you are actually forced to build from the ground up
Yeah it was so easy. Anyone could of done it really.
Those 50 years we didn't win a flag we were just f**king around ay!
We thought we'd just chill for 50 years, then wait for the club to go broke, then wait for the captain to walk out and then some meth head who's no good could walk in and get a couple.
Not that we were even desperate to get a flag before 07. We would of just been happy with being competitive for a decade.

We thought we'd just chill for 50 years, then wait for the club to go broke, then wait for the captain to walk out and then some meth head who's no good could walk in and get a couple.
Not that we were even desperate to get a flag before 07. We would of just been happy with being competitive for a decade.

Thanks for replying to a comment I didn’t even make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the fact you actually think the handbag label is a negative suggests you don’t even know what Geelong is about for many supporters.

and Rhys Stanley isn’t the Geelong style. Geelong used to have great tap ruckmans that would enable us to have surges of dominance. Not mobile second rucks as first rucks.

You'll be pleased to know, I found my handbag. :thumbsu:

And guess what? It had your sense of humour inside........:eek:

Where did I say it was easy for Thompson? Where did I bring club strength or anything into the discussion?

is it easier to develop a playing group from the ground up when you’re already more or less near the ground or not?
Oh I didn't get mixed up. No you didn't say that. But I was giving my opinion on how hard/easy I believe it is.
And of course club strength would be part of that discussion.
And No! Obviously I don't think that.
Obviously the club doesn't either. Or they would've done it again.

Oh I didn't get mixed up. No you didn't say that. But I was giving my opinion on how hard/easy I believe it is.
And of course club strength would be part of that discussion.
And No! Obviously I don't think that.
Obviously the club doesn't either. Or they would've done it again.

No, they think it is QUICKER to not build from the ground up. If you’re already half way up a staircase is it quicker to just try and climb the remaining steps or go back and start again?

how can anyone say ‘Scott isn’t as good at developing and building his own team from the ground up’ when he’s never had the opportunity?

No, they think it is QUICKER to not build from the ground up. If you’re already half way up a staircase is it quicker to just try and climb the remaining steps or go back and start again?

how can anyone say ‘Scott isn’t as good at developing and building his own team from the ground up’ when he’s never had the opportunity?
I disagree with the first part. A basic rule in life is usually the hard way and the right way are usually the same.
The second part Yes. I suppose they can't. Because as you say he's never had that opportunity.

I disagree with the first part. A basic rule in life is usually the hard way and the right way are usually the same.
The second part Yes. I suppose they can't. Because as you say he's never had that opportunity.

But it’s football not life. There is no right way. If there was Melbourne and Carlton would have flags in the last 20 years. GWS would have won one. Brisbane probably would have. Yes some teams have succeeded starting from scratch. Others haven’t.

But it’s football not life. There is no right way. If there was Melbourne and Carlton would have flags in the last 20 years. GWS would have won one. Brisbane probably would have. Yes some teams have succeeded starting from scratch. Others haven’t.
Every team has. In the modern era anyway.
Maybe Sydney a little bit in 12 but there would be a fair case to argue even against that one.

Superdrafts undoubtedly helped-
1999 Ling, Chappy, Corey, Boris,
2001 Bartel, Kelly, SJ, GAJ,
And nabbing Mooney and Ottens
And some handy F-S's.
Not being near the finals did have some advantages back then.

Superdrafts undoubtedly helped-
1999 Ling, Chappy, Corey, Boris,
2001 Bartel, Kelly, SJ, GAJ,
And nabbing Mooney and Ottens
And some handy F-S's.
Not being near the finals did have some advantages back then.
All the other teams that finished below us had even more advantages.
How'd they go?
Did they become the greatest team of all time?
Did they play the greatest footy ever seen?
Maybe we had an allright coach? Maybe

All the other teams that finished below us had even more advantages.
How'd they go?
Did they become the greatest team of all time?
Did they play the greatest footy ever seen?
Maybe we had an allright coach? Maybe
We are not the GOAT team, unless you are talking about Geelong only teams.
The Hawks 3-peat was awesome, as were the Lions, and this current Tigers team is right up there, and the Hawks teams that just accumulated all those flags for Tuck, Lethal, Scott, Dermott, Dunstall etc were unreal.

Bomber was ok, but that team should have been the GOAT, and should have won 2008 and 2010.

Wow he’s 1 behind Thompson and given two of the prelims he’s lost have been by a kick to Hawthorn with From memory Chapman and Enright both missing, and another against Richmond without the team’s most important player that we were actually dominating for a half, and factoring in the players he has had available compared to the players Thompson had at his disposal, is that in ANY way some sort of definitive argument for Thompson over Scott?

You could cherry pick games in which Mark Thompson was coaching as well.
Remember when we were 15 seconds away from defeating the eventual premiers in Sydney in the 2005 EF?
Remember when you were allowed to mark the ball from a defensive kick in, turn around and then kick the ball through the goals to force a rushed behind?
Remember when we lost one of the most promising key defenders since Scarlett, and Thompson turned Lonergan into our next best option for a decade afterwards?
Remember when Mooney was penalized for tackling a player in the back in the final minutes of the 2010 QF which robbed us of a much needed weeks rest?

You also act like Scott has not had much talent to work with.
You do realize that as of right now, Geelong have more All Australians over the last five years than any other team in the competition. What excuses should be made this year if it all goes pear shaped?

You could cherry pick games in which Mark Thompson was coaching as well.
Remember when we were 15 seconds away from defeating the eventual premiers in Sydney in the 2005 EF?
Remember when you were allowed to mark the ball from a defensive kick in, turn around and then kick the ball through the goals to force a rushed behind?
Remember when we lost one of the most promising key defenders since Scarlett, and Thompson turned Lonergan into our next best option for a decade afterwards?
Remember when Mooney was penalized for tackling a player in the back in the final minutes of the 2010 QF which robbed us of a much needed weeks rest?

You also act like Scott has not had much talent to work with.
You do realize that as of right now, Geelong have more All Australians over the last five years than any other team in the competition. What excuses should be made this year if it all goes pear shaped?

Who’s making excuses? Stop arguing points that no one has made

Remove this Banner Ad

Back